Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> fuel pressure loss

Reply New post
Message Subject: fuel pressure loss
kap
Posted 6/13/2017 3:57 PM (#865017)
Subject: fuel pressure loss

Hi
I am experiencing fuel pressure loss as motor will kill after about 3 hours of use
when running around casting.or will kill after about a half hour of trolling.
If I pump the ball periodically it keeps running. An help in solving problem is much appreciated. I am running a Etec 200 HO if that matters
thanks
VMS
Posted 6/14/2017 8:05 AM (#865074 - in reply to #865017)
Subject: Re: fuel pressure loss

Hiya,

It sounds like it is a fuel line issue for the most part. Somewhere along the line, air is getting in, and you are losing prime.

First off, how old are your hoses? Do they have pipe clamps or are they factory clamps?
many times when hoses have a few years on them, they become less pliable, and can crack around hose ends. If that is the case, time to replace. If the bulb is getting hard and not pliable, it may be time to replace that as well. All of those are items that will, over time, dry rot, and just need normal replacement.

The second thing to check are all connections from inside the motor, following the fuel line in. Possible to change a fuel filter as well (preventative maintenance) and tighten any clamps/connections there also.

This is a start, but my gut says it will be fuel line related by what you describe.

Steve
Propster
Posted 6/14/2017 8:14 AM (#865075 - in reply to #865017)

And if older and has seen its share of ethanol fuel through it the hoses will go then too.
VMS
Posted 6/14/2017 12:55 PM (#865109 - in reply to #865017)

Hiya,

An Etec will have alcohol resistant hoses, so I highly doubt those fuel lines would be an issue. If that was an issue, it would not create a loss of fuel pressure...it would cause a problem in the fuel delivery system in the engine itself. This type of this is only a problem on older engines where the owner has left fuel in the lines for extended periods of time.

Steve
kap
Posted 6/14/2017 4:29 PM (#865126 - in reply to #865074)

thanks i will check out what has been suggested, bulb was replaced a couple, so thats off list, i usually change fuel filter every year but not this year
otto
Posted 6/14/2017 7:30 PM (#865138 - in reply to #865109)

VMS - 6/14/2017 12:55 PM

Hiya,

An Etec will have alcohol resistant hoses, so I highly doubt those fuel lines would be an issue. If that was an issue, it would not create a loss of fuel pressure...it would cause a problem in the fuel delivery system in the engine itself. This type of this is only a problem on older engines where the owner has left fuel in the lines for extended periods of time.

Steve

True on an all new rig unless you repowered (as I did) hanging a 2016 Etec on a 20 year old boat.

I know, but I love the boat and I got a smokin' deal on the motor. No down side here. The rigger replaced the short hose when they hung the new motor. I replaced the rest this spring knowing what I know and not wanting to take a chance. Cheap insurance...

/m
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)