Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Porpoising

Message Subject: Porpoising
River2Stream
Posted 6/6/2017 3:44 PM (#864184)
Subject: Porpoising

I'm sure there has been a post on this in the past that I've missed but I've got to know more about it. We've all seen it at one point or another. The dreaded porpoise. In my area, I see them most usually around spawning time, but not always, I've seen a handful in the summer heat as well. I've heard a ton of different opinions about it and why the fish do it. Let me hear y'alls voices on this subject.

-Riv
Musky_Mo16
Posted 6/6/2017 6:55 PM (#864199 - in reply to #864184)
Subject: Re: Porpoising

I heard muskie can't see under water so they come to the surface to make sure they are headed in the right direction.

Edited by Musky_Mo16 6/6/2017 6:55 PM
River2Stream
Posted 6/6/2017 7:37 PM (#864204 - in reply to #864199)

Nice lol ... I've heard through the grapevine that they have a hard time breathing as well
Will Schultz
Posted 6/7/2017 9:47 AM (#864254 - in reply to #864184)

The most likely explanation is that it's related to their ability, unlike most fish, to exchange gasses in their swim bladder. By gulping air they are probably preparing to be deeper in the water column. This rolling behavior is pretty common with other fishes (rarely get to use that word) that also have the ability to exchange gasses in their swim bladder.
Reelwise
Posted 6/7/2017 4:22 PM (#864302 - in reply to #864254)

Muskellunge do this in rivers, also... regularly - during the hottest air and water temperatures of the year. In one particular river... there is only one column of water - pretty much.
River2Stream
Posted 6/9/2017 5:09 PM (#864536 - in reply to #864302)

I've heard rumors that it may help them digest a large meal as well. I also feel like when the fish that do porpoise are in a negative mood. Because you can throw at them all day and not get any kind of reaction.
Musky Face
Posted 6/11/2017 1:41 PM (#864711 - in reply to #864184)

I've heard rumors that it may help them digest a large meal as well.

Bingo, that why you will never catch one of those fish, because they are full.
Reelwise
Posted 6/11/2017 1:46 PM (#864712 - in reply to #864711)

I believe it has something to do water temperature change. Going from one level to the next. Happens a lot during the warmest times of the year and during the first cold snap/drastic change in weather during the fall... and happens often after a fish follows. Not sure how it helps them... but, it seems to happen when the fish go from a cold water creek to a warm river or when fish come up from the colder depths.
River2Stream
Posted 6/11/2017 6:10 PM (#864725 - in reply to #864184)
Subject: RE: Porpoising

There seems to be a lot of opinions and first hand knowledge on the subject. I tend to agree with Reelwise. But the temp and swim bladder ideas are also very plausible too. Thanks for the input fellows, I was just curious if anyone had a concrete answer to my question. And per usual the muskellunge keeps us guessing once again ...
Reelwise
Posted 6/11/2017 8:48 PM (#864751 - in reply to #864725)

In the Fox... Muskellunge will enter a coldwater creek that is about 68 degrees even during the warmest times of the year. The creek is loaded with Shad at times. When the Muskellunge return to the river... they will sometimes porpoise. I have never caught one of these fish... but, I have caught fish I did not see around the same location. They probably entered the cold-water creek to feed... then back out to the main river for security. Glidebaits like the 6 inch Phantom have worked best for me. I like to cast them out and reel them straight in - nice and slow.

During the first cold snap of the fall... the porpoising Muskellunge will sometimes hit lures like crazy. I'm sure this result can vary from waterbody to waterbody, though. 65-68 degrees is a good temp. The baitfish is closer to the surface at this time. Large, erratic crankbaits worked near the surface over 15-25 ft of water have worked well for me for surfacing fish. We got a 50 incher from a lake in Illinois after seeing it porpoise.

Cold water in the heat of the summer, in rivers... warm/consistent water temperatures - in the fall.

Either way... the Muskellunge gives up its location when it porpoises - which is just as good as a catch when it comes to finding out where the fish are located
River2Stream
Posted 6/12/2017 12:55 PM (#864823 - in reply to #864751)

What an awesome post Reelwise .. thank you !!
horsehunter
Posted 6/12/2017 2:02 PM (#864833 - in reply to #864184)

After fishing muskies for many many years and never catching a porpoising I was fishing with a young guy new to muskie, so of course when we encountered a porpoising muskie i said they NEVER strike. Of course when I put my Suick in front of this fish it struck and was landed. They never strike when porpoising except to make a fool of you.
T3clay
Posted 7/3/2017 4:58 PM (#867583 - in reply to #864184)

I have caught one fish that i casted at while it was porposing
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)