Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Need help with my 1st pole

Message Subject: Need help with my 1st pole
MuskyNoob27
Posted 5/26/2017 8:03 PM (#863015)
Subject: Need help with my 1st pole

Hi all. I'm looking to start targeting Muskys this year and would really appreciate some help. I've read that st croix are probably the best rods. I'm going to be fishing from shore with live bait mostly so what would be a good rod to go with? I'm really not sure about rod length or what action to use. And any suggestions on reels would help too. Thanks
Musky_Mo16
Posted 5/26/2017 8:59 PM (#863018 - in reply to #863015)
Subject: Re: Need help with my 1st pole

I like st croix rods but there is multiple other rods made for a lesser price. Another great rod is a tackle industries. IMO the st.croix premier or the TI is the best bang for your buck. I would say get a live bait rod but if you are going to throw other baits aswell I would get a heavy action rod and that should work fine for live bait and allow you to throw most average size lures (bucktails, cranks, gliders, small rubber etc.) for a good reel you could look into a Revo Toro S. Like I said this isn't real a live bait setup but it will be much easier to use live bait with a "lure" rod than it would be to use a live bait rod for throwing lures. As far as length, I would got with as long as you can transport. IMO a longer rod has almost no disadvantages (besides transport)
ToddM
Posted 5/26/2017 9:32 PM (#863025 - in reply to #863015)

If that is your only application, you dont need anything fancy. A 20-30 dollar heavy fiberglass catfish or big game rod will do. Will you be casting lures? Depending on what type of shore your fishing from can depend on what you want if you cast.
Tommis
Posted 5/26/2017 11:16 PM (#863030 - in reply to #863015)

Please get quick strike rigs with whatever rod you choose for live bait. St. Croix rods are stellar, but if it's only application is indeed solely live bait, I'll back Todd up on being able to go cheap!
25homes
Posted 5/27/2017 8:06 AM (#863041 - in reply to #863015)

If your just starting tons of info on here about what you need if you search....First thing you gonna need is good release tools and a net....hook cutters long nose plyers, jaw spreaders, etc....Def get the quick strike rigs for live bait but you gonna want to throw lures trust me....Lots of great Rod and reel options might check buy sell section save some money muskie fishing gets expensive fast
MuskyNoob27
Posted 5/27/2017 6:23 PM (#863078 - in reply to #863015)

Thanks for the help everyone. It is greatly appreciated
T3clay
Posted 5/27/2017 9:36 PM (#863093 - in reply to #863015)

Bulldawg rods are awesome for under $100
Ross K
Posted 5/31/2017 7:40 AM (#863343 - in reply to #863015)

ToothTamer rods work very well for us, give them a look. Good customer service and priced right too! The TT 8'MH is pretty universal, and a good medium length for your application.... not too long, not too short! Could handle a wide variety of lures and live baits.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)