Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Anybody fish muskies out of a Pontoon?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Anybody fish muskies out of a Pontoon?
kdawg
Posted 5/26/2017 5:20 PM (#863001)
Subject: Anybody fish muskies out of a Pontoon?

For the record, I don't. Just wondering if anyone does and if u can describe ur set up. Kdawg
tcbetka
Posted 5/27/2017 7:44 AM (#863040 - in reply to #863001)
Subject: RE: Anybody fish muskies out of a Pontoon?

I did once, and I actually saw someone doing that in Green Bay about 8-10 years ago. The one I was in had a canopy/top on it, so it would not have been easy to move around with a fish (didn't catch anything on it...story of my life). The one I saw on Green Bay had a couple guys on it, and they were trolling. But they didn't have a top as I recall--so it would be pretty easy to move around on the boat, and leaning over the rail to figure-8 a fish would be a breeze.

I say go for it!

TB

PS: I was in my local Lund dealer's showroom a few weeks ago, checking out boats. There was a pontoon boat there with TWO 350hp Verados on the thing. So 700hp on that bad boy. Now THAT's A musky barge! You and about 12 of your closet friends, all casting for ski's on the bay of Green Bay.
Ranger
Posted 5/28/2017 1:09 AM (#863102 - in reply to #863001)
Subject: Re: Anybody fish muskies out of a Pontoon?

No.
Fishysam
Posted 5/28/2017 11:44 AM (#863119 - in reply to #863001)

I don't. But I think it would be a fine operation for 2-4 people. I would have less lounging furniture to free up room and a terrova on the bow.
RandalB
Posted 5/28/2017 10:13 PM (#863145 - in reply to #863001)

Yes. I do, almost exclusively.

It's different, biggest challenges are boat control and releasing fish. The high sides make windy days a challenge and you have to go prone to release fish. I have what's called a "Fish and Sport" boat, which means it has lower rails and removable fishing seats fore and aft (Six of them). I have a Helix 9 and a ipilot link 115lb Terrova which helps with the boat control and follow the contour is my friend. I can easily have 4-5 casting, more if some don't mind vertical jigging.

Lmk if you have additional questions

RandalB
ulbian
Posted 5/29/2017 4:57 PM (#863170 - in reply to #863145)

A friend of mine has a 621 and a pontoon. He prefers using the pontoon for muskie fishing. If it's too windy he'll use the Ranger but that's about it. I've fished with him off of the pontoon a few times and it's a heck of a set up. The sides are rigged up so they can simply be popped off with a few pins and away you go. Large deck, tons of space to move around, great platform for running sucker rods.
SummerSchool
Posted 5/29/2017 9:15 PM (#863203 - in reply to #863001)

I do- will update while on Mille Lacs all summer
muskymeyer
Posted 5/31/2017 8:16 AM (#863348 - in reply to #863001)

Yes, casting and trolling. Casting is pretty much a wind drift as best I can, but trolling has been better than I figured. Have caught fish both ways although landing/unhooking from a pontoon is a lot more difficult than my esox mag.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)