Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Toronto Area - August 2017 Trip Suggestions?

Message Subject: Toronto Area - August 2017 Trip Suggestions?
WiscoYak88
Posted 5/15/2017 8:12 PM (#861768)
Subject: Toronto Area - August 2017 Trip Suggestions?

Hey fellas,

There's a lot of good information on this site, very big fan of the musky community! I'm looking for recommendations for lakes and cabins to stay at.

Here's the situation: my dad is flying into Toronto from Milwaukee, my brother is coming in from Philly, and I'm driving up with the boat from Pittsburgh. We are working with a 16ft lund, 50hp. We all prefer casting over trolling and are looking for an action lake with a decent shot at a big one. If it has walleye that we can hook into and cook up for dinner, that'd be the best situation!

I'm looking at the Kawartha lakes right now so any suggestions on places to stay and lakes to fish for action?

We are also considering driving another 1.5-2hrs from the Toronto airport to a lake more secluded...are there any suggestions for a secluded numbers lake that might fit this description? Any help is greatly appreciated guys - trying to make this a fun trip for the old man!

Jason
Gregoire
Posted 5/16/2017 1:48 PM (#861839 - in reply to #861768)
Subject: RE: Toronto Area - August 2017 Trip Suggestions?

http://www.scotsmanpoint.com/
MUSKYLUND1
Posted 5/16/2017 5:00 PM (#861850 - in reply to #861768)
Subject: Re: Toronto Area - August 2017 Trip Suggestions?

We have stayed at Beachwood Resort on Lower Buckhorn for 35 years (www.beachwoodresort.com). I live in Milwaukee and my brother drives up from Pittsburgh so it is not too different from your situation. My boat is similar to yours. I have a 16ft Lund with a 40 HP tiller. It is great for Lower Buckhorn since it is only 3,000 acres. We average 15-20 Muskies per week there. I don't think the Kawarthas is the place to go if you need to catch a 50", but they are in there just not in big numbers. For action, it is a great system with lots of Muskies up to the mid-40" range. You will get occasional fish in the upper 40" class and every now and then someone catches one over 50". The Bass fishing is fantastic for both Smallmouth and Largemouth. Walleye are there too and seem to be increasing in numbers (focus on low light conditions). Lots of panfish too if you want some for a meal.

Edited by MUSKYLUND1 5/17/2017 11:00 AM
WiscoYak88
Posted 5/17/2017 7:26 PM (#861957 - in reply to #861850)

Thanks for the tips - sounds like Kawarthas are a good spot for us. I'll check out Beachwood Resort. Would you venture to Chemong or Pigeon or do you usually just stick to Lower Buckhorn?

and are you trolling or casting for the most part? Any successful baits that you stick to?

Thanks again for all the great pointers Tom.
MUSKYLUND1
Posted 5/18/2017 4:05 PM (#862059 - in reply to #861957)

We stick to Lower Buckhorn. From Lower Buckhorn you would have to lock through or trailer over to those lakes. You can access Pigeon and Chemung from Upper Buckhorn. If you want to do that Scotsman's Point might be a better bet. Having said that, for your first time you are probably better off focusing on one lake. There is a lot of water to fish on Lower Buckhorn. If you decide to go send me a PM and I will send you some more specifics including a marked map.

We do probably 80% casting and 20% trolling. Some years the trolling bite is better, but we catch most of our Muskies casting. The lake has lots of weeds: cabbage, coontail and milfoil. Around the islands there are good rock structures. The water is clear so factor that into bait selection and colors. All your normal Musky baits will work here: Bucktails, Jerkbaits, Minnowbaits, Crankbaits, Rubber Baits and Topwater.

Bucktails have been good for a long time, the old standby baits like Mepps Musky Killer, 700 Buchertail or Windels Harrasser or newer double bladed baits like Dbl Cowgirl all work. Jerkbaits like Suicks and Bobbies can be good. Some of our biggest fish in recent years have been on Red October Monster Tubes and big Swimbaits like the old Bucher 10" Swimmin Joe. We don't catch a ton on topwater, but walk the dog baits like a Weagle are good here. I do fish a Zara Spook a lot for Bass here and always use a short wire leader because you will get bit off by Muskies.

Good Luck!
Landry
Posted 5/18/2017 5:33 PM (#862062 - in reply to #861768)

Pigeon is a Great Lake for pretty good size and casting.
Sturgeon is a great call and not heavily fished.
I would avoid chemong and Scugog - very weedy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)