Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I believe that the solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. - John Gierach
- (Added by: FlyFish4Esox)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Dive and Rise issues

Message Subject: Dive and Rise issues
muskyroller
Posted 5/9/2017 8:27 PM (#861243)
Subject: Dive and Rise issues

Hi guys,
Last month I started working on my own baits. I mainly wanted to build a big dive and rise similar to the high end, $100+. So, I carved out some cedar, internally weighted, primed, painted, and 5 coats of enviro. Got done and put two 7/0 mustads on em. Both baits pull to their right. I tinkered with the diving tail angle and they both still pulled right. I've had Suicks do this in the past and was never able to rectify those and got rid of them. I definitely don't want to give up on these two baits that I've invested a bunch of time.

What do you think...
More weight? I could go bell sinkers to the split rings. Screw-in weight system?
Keep messing with the tail? Any tips or tricks in regards to that?

Once I figure this thing out, I'll post some pics.

Thanks,
Steve
jchiggins
Posted 5/9/2017 8:33 PM (#861246 - in reply to #861243)
Subject: Re: Dive and Rise issues

Tune your front line tie. Have done this with many suicks.
So IL Muskie Hunter
Posted 5/10/2017 7:30 AM (#861270 - in reply to #861243)

While my experience with jerkbaits is limited, as jchiggins said tuning the front eye may solve the problem.

Something you may consider, when prototyping a new bait I always install all of the hardware first, including hooks, and then start the process of weighting the bait. Shape, size and locations of weights is critical to get a jerkbait to "come alive". I tape the main weights into place and then do lots of bucket testing. When things are getting close then comes repeated trips to the lake to work them with a rod. Lots of trial and error involved and mostly error. Once you get it right, however, it is very gratifying. Unfortunately, not all pieces of wood are created equal and some end up as kindling despite best efforts.
tkuntz
Posted 5/10/2017 8:13 AM (#861275 - in reply to #861243)

Really without seeing the bait its hard to say for certain, but if you tried tuning the tail it has to be one of 3 things; asymmetrical cut/dive plane, off center eye, or off center weighting. Id look at the first two options as the likely culprit.

Edited by tkuntz 5/10/2017 8:23 AM
Fishysam
Posted 5/10/2017 10:24 AM (#861287 - in reply to #861243)

Put a split ring on it instead of a snap, it doesn't take much in the tail to get way out of wack, also don't be afraid to swap the trebles 180* and re install. (Since 2 prongs are one way then one the other can affect this) one book or both. Just have to tweak tweek till it's right
muskyroller
Posted 5/10/2017 11:35 AM (#861290 - in reply to #861287)

Thanks guys. I'll give these little tweaks a try tonight and report back. The look is good, especially considering I've done a grand total of four baits. I have a small 6" dive and rise that is solid on the action. These bigger ones are giving me problems.
esox911
Posted 5/10/2017 6:31 PM (#861325 - in reply to #861243)

I have made some dive and rise--- Good Advice already given here--- Check that line tie----Move to the opposite direction of the pull direction of the lure--- Make sure the weight is centered-- and Maybe even move the Line tie to a different location to see if that might effect the action... TIME and Patience--you will find the problem..
muskyroller
Posted 5/10/2017 8:00 PM (#861336 - in reply to #861325)

So, out of the two blanks I was messing around with, I got one to work right/left after a little weight adjustment added to front split ring and changing the screw eye direction.

The one that's giving me problems, I think I'm going to redrill the line tie and try a different position. So, I'll keep working with it. Thanks all for the great advice...I'm really satisfied with the look and action of the one...now I gotta get that second one "dancin'"

Steve
crazywaynee
Posted 5/11/2017 7:26 AM (#861365 - in reply to #861243)

Just one word make your adjustments one at a time otherwise you don't know what is and what is not. Just my two cents.
good luck

Wayne
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)