Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> LOTW In July First Timers

Message Subject: LOTW In July First Timers
muskyfishon
Posted 5/7/2017 9:24 PM (#861052)
Subject: LOTW In July First Timers

I am planning a trip to Lake of the Woods for the first time. I am looking for some recommendations to stay. I have read lots about Oak Island being around good musky water but would rather have someone who has been there recommend a place to stay and general locations to fish. We are experienced musky fisherman but that is a big body of water to cover in a week. Also has anyone rented a boat from one of the resorts and could recommend that also. We are traveling from southeast Michigan so we are trying to weigh the cost of towing my boat 17 hours to the cost of renting one. We fish St Clair all the time but its time to get LOTW off the bucket list.Also do you recommend getting a Canadian License looking at the map it looks like there is plenty of fishable water in Minnesota. One more thing if we do drive and rent a boat is there a ferry or transportation to take you from Minnesota across the lake or do you have to go around through Canada. Looks like it would add a few hours to the drive. Any suggestions or recommendations for anything would be appreciated. Thanks
Propster
Posted 5/7/2017 9:53 PM (#861054 - in reply to #861052)
Subject: Re: LOTW In July First Timers

First of all you want and need to fish the Canadian side. You can buy a non-res weekly conservation license for pretty cheap. Secondly, the NW angle is good and there are lots of places to stay on Oak Island and nearby (Flag Island), but you're still a long way from what I consider the better fishing areas. So you will use up more gas and time at prime time than need be. To shorten your drive time I would consider fishing Sabaskong area out of Morson. Cross the border at Baudette, MN and another hour up the road. I would then consider staying out at Tamarack Island lodge. You will be more centrally located to good fishing all around you. And finally I would bring your boat. Paved roads the whole way and you will appreciate having your own rig, and not having to rent trolling motors, depth finders etc.
Slime King
Posted 5/8/2017 6:22 AM (#861060 - in reply to #861052)

If you fish St.Clair all the time, most likely you buy an Ontario license each year anyway.
Musky Brian
Posted 5/8/2017 7:12 AM (#861062 - in reply to #861060)

the landing to the NW Angle is on the far western side of the lake, and is a long enough gravel road to get there. Also, contrary to what a map looks like, you are generally always fishing Canada up there, as that's where the fish are. Tough place to have a rental boat too, as most people make some pretty long runs.

Like Keith said, from where you are coming from, stay on the other side of the lake. Tamarack would be a good choice, but they might be booked up. Look for lodges out of Morson but ones that are on islands to the West.
MuskyMidget
Posted 5/13/2017 8:22 AM (#861546 - in reply to #861052)

Bring your own boat.
39 degrees
Posted 5/15/2017 7:27 PM (#861756 - in reply to #861052)
Subject: RE: LOTW In July First Timers

For a lot of reasons i agree with what others have said. Bring your boat. Fish out of morson. Sabaskong has lots of spots close together and is the easiest place on the lake to learn how to contact fish. Plan accordingly for the time of day you round chicago and milwaukee to avoid rush hour. Bring a bunch, i mean a bunch, of coins for the illinois toll roads.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)