Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> terrova Q's

Reply New post
Message Subject: terrova Q's
mnmusky
Posted 5/5/2017 8:07 PM (#860864)
Subject: terrova Q's

I'm needing to replace my old terrova with another terrova.
Is I pilot the only way to fly these days?
do you use the remote or foot pedal more?
looks like there is an updated I pilot version , a redesigned lift/latch and quieter motor on the latest model but the earlier models are still available for less. any previous version issues?
no need for link for me.
thanks

Pat Hoolihan
Posted 5/6/2017 6:05 AM (#860882 - in reply to #860864)
Subject: Re: terrova Q's

The only time I use my remote is during walleye fishing and the very rare occurrence I use Spot Lock during muskie fishing, otherwise I use the trolling motor pedal. The biggest update to the new Terrova models is the improved Spot Lock function; the older models were not very good at keeping you in the same area. I have heard the new ones are greatly improved in that department. I have not heard of any issues with the new Terrova's yet but most people haven't put them through the paces much.
Mojo1269
Posted 5/6/2017 8:49 AM (#860892 - in reply to #860882)

I just put the new one on my Ranger. Its super quiet, the spot lock is also on the pedal now and greatly improved. Lots more options on how you want to do stuff on the remote. I never had an issue with the old stow and deploy on my Terrova but the new one takes no effort at all. I would spend the $$ and get the new one...
RyanJoz
Posted 5/6/2017 10:54 AM (#860900 - in reply to #860892)

I use both at the same time. I run mine on constant most of the time and use the remote to control the speed instead of my toe. I have found that when I need a little more umph, I click up 1/2 or 1 step and down to slow down after a wind gust. I have no issues with my "old" 2015 version, but would opt for the new one for spot lock on the pedal alone. I use the rabbit button quite often as well to get things moving or get away from obstructions quickly to prevent hitting the boat or transducer.
msky3
Posted 5/9/2017 7:52 PM (#861229 - in reply to #860900)

Are any of you guys using a Lowrance units withe the Terrova and have you had issues with the standard built in transducer?
RyanJoz
Posted 5/9/2017 8:31 PM (#861245 - in reply to #860864)

I run lowrance and US2 and don't have any issues. Run the ping speed about 80% on the trolling motor and don't even get any interference with both at 200khz.
Muskers
Posted 5/10/2017 7:18 AM (#861268 - in reply to #861229)

I run lowrance from my Terrova and do feel as though the transducer built into the Terrova is poor in comparison to the standard HDS transducers. It works and I don't get interference but you definitely don't have the 2D details. I am confident the depth reading is accurate but for locating small weeds and bottom contours like rocks, gravel, sand, muck, etc. I only rely on my rear unit or structure scan. Just depends on how you want to use it. I use it for depth, speed and mapping up front so it works great!
Kgonefishin
Posted 5/11/2017 9:02 AM (#861374 - in reply to #860864)

New Terrova's are having problems with deploying something about the new latch and deploy system on them.
I run the standard us2 on mine with a HDS9, no problems works fine, since it's 21 ft away I don't get interference from the ducer on my transom which is nice.
mtcook16
Posted 5/15/2017 9:32 AM (#861665 - in reply to #861374)

Kgonefishin - 5/11/2017 9:02 AM

New Terrova's are having problems with deploying something about the new latch and deploy system on them.
I run the standard us2 on mine with a HDS9, no problems works fine, since it's 21 ft away I don't get interference from the ducer on my transom which is nice.

Source of the information about the new Terrovas? Not something that I've come across, but actual evidence would really support your claim that [something] is wrong with the a particular motor vs the entire model line.

Edited by mtcook16 5/15/2017 9:41 AM
Propster
Posted 5/15/2017 9:44 AM (#861666 - in reply to #860864)

Not to hijack the original question, but similar concern. We have about a 6 year old Terrova. When we ran our Lowrance up front and used the US2 we had some problems reading depth when it got too shallow, but pretty sure that was a Lowrance issue. Tried a Helix 7 up there last year and not all the time, but regularly enough that it was a pain, the depth reading would go wacky and be all over the place. The HBird rep told us it is most likely the transducer in the motor. Have any of you hooked up the external HB transducer to the motor and did it solve your problem? And until I determine that it does, I won't likely run the cord up inside the motors and collars in the slot in the shaft. Until then, have any of you mounted the transducer and just anchor the cord at the bottom and at the top just under the head, and had any issues when stowing or deploying? Thanks
mtcook16
Posted 5/16/2017 1:50 PM (#861840 - in reply to #860864)

With your older model Terrova that does not have the lift assist in the channel of the shaft, you can do this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G54WQVtErZ0
Mojo1269
Posted 5/16/2017 9:42 PM (#861871 - in reply to #861665)

mtcook16 - 5/15/2017 9:32 AM

Kgonefishin - 5/11/2017 9:02 AM

Source of the information about the new Terrovas? Not something that I've come across, but actual evidence would really support your claim that [something] is wrong with the a particular motor vs the entire model line.

I put one of the new ones on my Ranger in Mid April. I have stowed and deployed mine well over 500 times since purchasing it. I just spent the last 4 days on leech lake walleye fishing and the new stow and deploy was awesome. Just an observation from someone actually using the motor....

Edited by Mojo1269 5/16/2017 9:50 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)