Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> LSC..lil help please

Message Subject: LSC..lil help please
25homes
Posted 5/1/2017 3:48 PM (#860275)
Subject: LSC..lil help please

Got lil vacation I need to eat up at work... was thinking about shooting up to at Clair for like 4 days... only 4 hour drive for me. My question will it be necessary to hire a guide or do you think I could just try and find fish? Sure there be lot of different opinions on this..Im considering the 3rd or 4th week of June or 2 or 3rd week of july... would one of these dates b better than the others? Any suggestions on baits for that time of year?

Thanks guys much appreciated
allegheny river kid
Posted 5/1/2017 7:33 PM (#860306 - in reply to #860275)
Subject: Re: LSC..lil help please

Either time frame should be good. Weather is the biggest factor, which you never really know what's gonna happen these days. I'd recommend a guide because it's big water. Without knowledge of what's going on and where the fish have moved can make it very tough fishing even for the great fishery it is. A day on the boat with someone whose on the water daily will help make your trip much more successful.
Mdamp104
Posted 5/2/2017 5:21 AM (#860371 - in reply to #860275)

Id recommend Mike Hulbert. Makes for an awesome day on the water with him.
twelts
Posted 5/2/2017 6:03 AM (#860372 - in reply to #860275)
Subject: RE: LSC..lil help please

I would hire a guide. I am sure you are going to get a lot of recommendations, a good guide will cut down on learning curve. No guarantees but they fish and communicate everyday. Pick the guide that fishes your way ,cast or troll or a little of both.
Musky Brian
Posted 5/2/2017 7:18 AM (#860376 - in reply to #860372)

Contrary to belief, it's not all that easy to just drop your boat in there and start casting and getting on fish. I'd suggest you start out, or plan on trolling a lot to establish some semblance of an area to target. A guide would be very helpful most likely
Zib
Posted 5/2/2017 8:40 PM (#860498 - in reply to #860275)

Normally I'd say don't waste your money on a guide but with all the dead musky that are being found in the marinas, boat ramps & floating down the Detroit River you may need to go with a guide at least for a day. The DNR has confirmed that VHS was the cause of many if the dead gizzard shad, bluegill, & crappie found in the past month or so. No word on if it has affected the musky like it did back in 2006.

I've only been out on the DR twice this year & at both ramps I launched at I seen 3 dead musky at one ramp & 5 at another plus seen several floating. Several guys on FB have been posting pics of a lot of dead musky at marina's & boat ramps.

Edited by Zib 5/2/2017 8:43 PM
14ledo81
Posted 5/2/2017 9:11 PM (#860510 - in reply to #860498)

Zib - 5/2/2017 8:40 PM

Normally I'd say don't waste your money on a guide but with all the dead musky that are being found in the marinas, boat ramps & floating down the Detroit River you may need to go with a guide at least for a day. The DNR has confirmed that VHS was the cause of many if the dead gizzard shad, bluegill, & crappie found in the past month or so. No word on if it has affected the musky like it did back in 2006.

I've only been out on the DR twice this year & at both ramps I launched at I seen 3 dead musky at one ramp & 5 at another plus seen several floating. Several guys on FB have been posting pics of a lot of dead musky at marina's & boat ramps.

Sounds like it's not even worth fishing anymore....??

Edited by 14ledo81 5/2/2017 9:12 PM
Zib
Posted 5/2/2017 10:10 PM (#860517 - in reply to #860510)

14ledo81 - 5/2/2017 10:11 PM
Sounds like it's not even worth fishing anymore....?? ;)

Nope! You don't even need a boat, Just walk along the shoreline & you'll find them lying on the ground just like these from last week in Windsor.

[img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j67/zibjones/Dead%20Musky_zpsone0budw.jpg[/img]
25homes
Posted 5/3/2017 9:29 AM (#860560 - in reply to #860275)

This is not good with the VHS Im thinking now about delaying the trip to september october area and see what really happens...I will def look into a guide but def want to cast not troll...Hopefully water temps get to 60-65 quick up there to help stop VHS Im guessing lake around 45-50 degrees right now give or take...When you local guys think water hit the 60 degree mark
Zib
Posted 5/3/2017 10:03 AM (#860567 - in reply to #860560)

25homes - 5/3/2017 10:29 AM

This is not good with the VHS Im thinking now about delaying the trip to september october area and see what really happens...I will def look into a guide but def want to cast not troll...Hopefully water temps get to 60-65 quick up there to help stop VHS Im guessing lake around 45-50 degrees right now give or take...When you local guys think water hit the 60 degree mark

Water temps now are in the low to mid 50's depending on the area of the lake. We're getting a lot of rain & wind the next few days so that will dirty up the water. The water level is up currently as well but we will hit 60 degree water temps well before the opener in June. Generally water temps are upper 60's or low 70's when the season opens.
25homes
Posted 5/3/2017 1:49 PM (#860587 - in reply to #860275)

Man I dont know how you dudes dont go crazy waiting for the June opener...Ive been fishing all winter and missed few weeks due to weather but waiting til june Id be flipping out...what date does your season close?? Hows that work on LSC with the Canada side do they have same season dates??
mastical
Posted 5/3/2017 2:09 PM (#860588 - in reply to #860587)

Season opens first Saturday in June and is closes December 15th. Opens and closes at the same times for both sides.

I have a count down on my phone, i prep almost weekly for it. I have a map in my office i just gaze at from time to time. I come up with plans, baits i want to buy. its like a mild obsession until it arrives, once its open i think we all calm down.
Zib
Posted 5/3/2017 2:14 PM (#860589 - in reply to #860587)

25homes - 5/3/2017 2:49 PM

Man I dont know how you dudes dont go crazy waiting for the June opener...Ive been fishing all winter and missed few weeks due to weather but waiting til june Id be flipping out...what date does your season close?? Hows that work on LSC with the Canada side do they have same season dates??

The season is the same for both Michigan & Ontario on the St. Clair River, Lake St. Clair, & Detroit River. The season opens on the first Saturday in June & closes on Dec. 15th. I fish for walleye on the DR & Bass (C&R) on LSC & other lakes before the musky season opens. In-land lakes the season opens the last Saturday in April.

I usually catch a musky or 3 while fishing for other species, especially while going after bass. I was out bass fishing this past Friday & got skunked on bass but caught a musky. Last year I caught more musky while targeting bass than I did targeting musky (6 in one day plus another 6 bite-offs). Hell last year I caught more walleye while bass fishing than I did when I was targeting walleye in the river. I'm sure there's plenty of walleye & bass guys that catch more musky than most musky guys do. If you don't know where to find the musky on LSC just follow the walleye & perch guys.

Edited by Zib 5/3/2017 2:18 PM
Zib
Posted 5/3/2017 2:21 PM (#860591 - in reply to #860588)

mastical - 5/3/2017 3:09 PM

Season opens first Saturday in June and is closes December 15th. Opens and closes at the same times for both sides.

I have a count down on my phone, i prep almost weekly for it. I have a map in my office i just gaze at from time to time. I come up with plans, baits i want to buy. its like a mild obsession until it arrives, once its open i think we all calm down.

Every year I always say I'm going to get ready for musky season & as usual I procrastinate & do it the night before. Not much to do really other than have my box of Bondy Baits ready & my musky jigging rod & reel ready to go & the trolling motor battery charged. I suppose I could sharpen all my hooks but I'm too lazy to do that.
25homes
Posted 5/3/2017 3:26 PM (#860603 - in reply to #860591)

Zib - 5/3/2017 2:21 PM

mastical - 5/3/2017 3:09 PM

Every year I always say I'm going to get ready for musky season & as usual I procrastinate & do it the night before. Not much to do really other than have my box of Bondy Baits ready & my musky jigging rod & reel ready to go & the trolling motor battery charged. I suppose I could sharpen all my hooks but I'm too lazy to do that.

LOL on the hook sharpening...I was just thinking about that the other day and you think gotta catch lot of fish b4 need swharpening but then got to thinking they get banged around off rocks snagged on trees, debris, etc should just make habit to sharpen a couple each trip and rotate...I assume you mainly Jig early season?? I just dont have patients for that havent ever got one jigging but also dont do a ton of it...I do on occasssion but should prob start doing a lil more
14ledo81
Posted 5/3/2017 4:49 PM (#860621 - in reply to #860275)

Be careful with the hooks. Most (IMO) need to be sharpened before there is any use.
Zib
Posted 5/3/2017 6:12 PM (#860638 - in reply to #860603)

25homes - 5/3/2017 4:26 PM
LOL on the hook sharpening...I was just thinking about that the other day and you think gotta catch lot of fish b4 need swharpening but then got to thinking they get banged around off rocks snagged on trees, debris, etc should just make habit to sharpen a couple each trip and rotate...I assume you mainly Jig early season?? I just dont have patients for that havent ever got one jigging but also dont do a ton of it...I do on occasssion but should prob start doing a lil more

I prefer to catch any fish species on a jig whether it's vertical jigging, casting, flipping etc. Catching a musky jigging is the best feeling IMO, especially when it's on the down stroke because you feel it so good in your forearm that it hurts.

I'll stick it out jigging the river up until the 1st or 2nd week of July unless me & my buddy both aren't catching much or if I'm invited out on someone else's boat. 2 years in a row now my buddy has out fished me in the river & that chit is going to stop this year. Though last year I caught all the bigger ones, while he caught everything under 40.
Zib
Posted 5/3/2017 6:15 PM (#860639 - in reply to #860621)

14ledo81 - 5/3/2017 5:49 PM

Be careful with the hooks. Most (IMO) need to be sharpened before there is any use.

I sharpen them right before I use them but I don't go through my whole box sharpening every hook before the season starts like some of my friends do.
bbeaupre
Posted 5/7/2017 8:54 AM (#860983 - in reply to #860275)

Best way to get over the wait is to head to WI for musky opener week, both northern and southern. Then you only have a few weeks to wait yet.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)