Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> How Not To Be That Guy

Message Subject: How Not To Be That Guy
Posted 5/21/2017 8:43 PM (#862372 - in reply to #862361)
Subject: Re: How Not To Be That Guy

Pointerpride102 - 5/21/2017 7:58 PM

I only created one rule after an outing last season. DO NOT change your bait every 5 casts, for 4-5 hours straight. Unfortunately, that is not an exaggeration. I've never seen someone change baits so many times in my whole life. I bet he changed baits more times in that short period of time than I did all season! I bet I had 3-4x as many casts as he did that day.

I don't care about much, but that new law goes into effect this season.
So far Flambeau and pointer look like decent folks to fish with .How about the captain pulling up to a spot for 4 or 5 casts?I see a spot where zero casts made it in the water before too.We laughed at that one.

Edited by 0723 5/21/2017 8:44 PM
Posted 5/21/2017 9:12 PM (#862377 - in reply to #862332)

esoxaddict - 5/21/2017 4:15 PM

I can see not thinking about offering to pay for gas or buy lunch or whatever - that's just not thinking. But if someone throws an $800 combo overboard, it should not have to be discussed beforehand that said person would pay to replace it. Accidents happen, but if you break someone's #*#* or lose it or whatever? Wow.
$800 combo overboardthat is a big deal.This guy is going on about $40 down east rod holder.I have a real good friend I still fish with who didn't loosen his drag and my down east rod holder broke and ended up at the bottom of Shelbyville.I never even thought about asking him to pay for it and actually forgot about it until this post.If I was a guide I know I would not be letting clients use my $800 combo at any time.
Cody
Posted 5/22/2017 10:13 AM (#862402 - in reply to #859659)

I mainly fish alone. My girls are in college and doing internships. My wife can't get away with work and elder care etc. I live in a remote area. It would be nice to have a fishing partner, however I do like the situation at present. Can quit when I want, no time constraints, more relaxing, I'm always up when trolling, never have to listen to complaints or unwanted advice, no splitting the cost, that make me the generous big spender. There are downside though I'm always the net man !
So IL Muskie Hunter
Posted 5/22/2017 11:12 AM (#862407 - in reply to #859659)

I fish alone more often than not these days. One buddy died of cancer and another of diabetes. A third is paralyzed and doesn't leave his house. I miss fishing with all of them. Life is short. Don't sweat the small stuff. Savor your time on the water with others.
Nershi
Posted 5/22/2017 11:37 AM (#862414 - in reply to #859659)

Broke a down east rod holder and it wasn't from a fish? How is that even possible?

I'm pretty laid back. The only thing I can't stand is a whiny or pouty attitude. If you can't keep the PMA going no matter how the day is going you should take up bass or walleye fishing.
esoxaddict
Posted 5/22/2017 12:04 PM (#862419 - in reply to #859659)

Most stuff is just aggravating. But they guy who starts throwing stuff (literally) because someone else caught a fish and he did not? Yeah... bye.
Posted 5/22/2017 12:17 PM (#862422 - in reply to #862414)

Nershi - 5/22/2017 11:37 AM

Broke a down east rod holder and it wasn't from a fish? How is that even possible?

I'm pretty laid back. The only thing I can't stand is a whiny or pouty attitude. If you can't keep the PMA going no matter how the day is going you should take up bass or walleye fishing.
It was a big fish.which really sucked too.
mnmusky
Posted 5/22/2017 1:38 PM (#862427 - in reply to #859659)

Well what about how not to be that gal???

I mean you have 5-6 ladies board your boat. Next thing they're in nothing but thong bikini bottoms asking you to rub tanning lotion on them. Then, your wasting precious casts twisting wine cooler tops off the bottles because the caps are "too tight". Next thing you know, you now have ten boats around you gawking at you on your prime spot. God help you should you catch a nice one and ask them to net it for you...assuming they even hear you through all that giggling and good times.
ToddM
Posted 5/22/2017 1:59 PM (#862430 - in reply to #862427)

mnmusky - 5/22/2017 1:38 PM

Well what about how not to be that gal???

I mean you have 5-6 ladies board your boat. Next thing they're in nothing but thong bikini bottoms asking you to rub tanning lotion on them. Then, your wasting precious casts twisting wine cooler tops off the bottles because the caps are "too tight". Next thing you know, you now have ten boats around you gawking at you on your prime spot. God help you should you catch a nice one and ask them to net it for you...assuming they even hear you through all that giggling and good times.

I would be willing to put this theory through vigorous testing. Now where to find the participants......

Edited by ToddM 5/22/2017 2:01 PM
Jeremy
Posted 5/22/2017 3:08 PM (#862436 - in reply to #859659)

Got a grin out'a that one. A good bit back when my two sons were in their late teens I was pitching around the bay and eventually got to this newish boat, very colorful with a huge motor on the back. Guy with a beautiful and scantily clad babe in a bright bikini standing there watching her bobber.

I got closer. Kids said "Daaaad..." under their breath, as in "don't"!. Got closer yet and says to "the boat"..."Man, that's simply beautiful to see. So different to what you normally see out here. (small, poor farm area) Love the color. Yer one lucky guy let me tell ya. ----long pause......................... How many horsepower is that? "...

He proceeded to tell me about his rig...I complimented him.

Kids..."Geepers dad..." Big grin from the ol' man and we kept on fishing.

I wasn't obvious atall....:)
Flambeauski
Posted 5/22/2017 3:11 PM (#862438 - in reply to #859659)

If only you knew how much sand she tracked into his boat!
Jerry Newman
Posted 5/22/2017 6:47 PM (#862459 - in reply to #862414)

Nershi - 5/22/2017 11:37 AM Broke a down east rod holder and it wasn't from a fish? How is that even possible?

Truth is; I have my doubts about a muskie being able to bend (let alone break a DE), even with the drag locked up.

Edited by Jerry Newman 5/22/2017 7:04 PM
Jeremy
Posted 5/22/2017 7:12 PM (#862462 - in reply to #862438)

Flambeauski - 5/22/2017 3:11 PM

If only you knew how much sand she tracked into his boat!

Sand? What sand????...

Posted 5/22/2017 7:33 PM (#862464 - in reply to #862459)

Jerry Newman - 5/22/2017 6:47 PM

Nershi - 5/22/2017 11:37 AM Broke a down east rod holder and it wasn't from a fish? How is that even possible?

Truth is; I have my doubts about a muskie being able to bend (let alone break a DE), even with the drag locked up.

It happened and it is a registered member here who was there if they wish to comment,but I won't sell them out if they chose not to either..
Posted 5/22/2017 7:36 PM (#862465 - in reply to #862464)

I should have saved the broken part left in the boat so you could have taken a picture next to your boot to analyze the d.e.
RLSea
Posted 5/22/2017 11:25 PM (#862520 - in reply to #859659)

Interesting thread Mr. Worrall. What's amazing to me is that what I consider second nature is so controversial it creates deep divisions among a group of what otherwise are like-minded fishermen. Maybe it's a generational thing. Count me among those who would share the load. I usually fish out of my boat with a partner, but on occasion fish out of another buddy's boat and always offer to share expenses.
Jerry Newman
Posted 5/23/2017 10:16 AM (#862551 - in reply to #862427)

mnmusky - 5/22/2017 1:38 PM Well what about how not to be that gal??? I mean you have 5-6 ladies board your boat. Next thing they're in nothing but thong bikini bottoms asking you to rub tanning lotion on them. Then, your wasting precious casts twisting wine cooler tops off the bottles because the caps are "too tight". Next thing you know, you now have ten boats around you gawking at you on your prime spot. God help you should you catch a nice one and ask them to net it for you...assuming they even hear you through all that giggling and good times.

Haha, sounds like the muskie fisherman's version of the scene from the movie Dumb and Dumber.

Along those lines we used to fish an area where bikinis would regularly hang around the public pier/launch, and then jump into the cigar boats when they pulled up. We never figured out if they had this prearranged, or it was just kind of a chance meeting?

It seemed like every one of these boats had a couple of bikinis on board though, so maybe the girls just come as standard equipment when you pay that much for a boat

Meanwhile, we're out there out there beating our brains in for some stupid fish were going to let go anyway… maybe we should rethink this hobby?  I'm guessing Horse Hunter knows where this is?

Edited by Jerry Newman 5/23/2017 10:21 AM
Posted 5/23/2017 10:34 AM (#862553 - in reply to #862520)

RLSea - 5/22/2017 11:25 PM

Interesting thread Mr. Worrall. What's amazing to me is that what I consider second nature is so controversial it creates deep divisions among a group of what otherwise are like-minded fishermen. Maybe it's a generational thing. Count me among those who would share the load. I usually fish out of my boat with a partner, but on occasion fish out of another buddy's boat and always offer to share expenses.
I consider myself lucky to make a decent living and do not to expect people to always pay if they enjoy the sport of fishing.I apologize Newman, I dont not know his current situation.I would hope if there was a time when money was tight I would hope someone would take care of me like I have done in the past to people ,without thinking twice or batting eye.Again Newman I apologize as I do not know anything about your situation.
Cody
Posted 5/24/2017 10:10 PM (#862768 - in reply to #859659)

I was telling a guy I knew about Muskie fishing, he seemed interested and asked how I caught them, I said the last few I caught while trolling. He said " I would love to go sometime with you " I invite the guy and he says " That's great, is it ok if my brother and his kid goes along " Then he says " She is three and will just fish for Sunnies" WTH hows that gonna work trolling 4+ mph. Then he says " Don't worry you won't have to change diapers " NO SH*T !!!!!! A storm blew in and we had to cancel. Last time I ask him. Not running a party boat !!!
Another time I took a guy out casting on a river system. He brought beer drank four and said how tired he was, then falls asleep. When he awoke he drank two more and said "You soon want to go in" Never again with him either !!!! Casting was too much of an effort for him, I guess. I fish alone for these reasons. I sometimes irritate myself when out fishing, but that's my fault. My wife and girls were my favorite fishing partners, we had a lot of fun.
Flambeauski
Posted 5/25/2017 8:49 AM (#862782 - in reply to #862768)

Cody - 5/24/2017 10:10 PM

Another time I took a guy out casting on a river system. He brought beer drank four and said how tired he was, then falls asleep. When he awoke he drank two more and said "You soon want to go in"

Sometimes sitting in the boat and drinking beer is more fun than fishing.
And it's been proven that napping is key to a happy and productive life.
Cody
Posted 5/25/2017 2:27 PM (#862809 - in reply to #862782)

I'm all for a good cold beer just not while I'm driving or operating a boat. I doubt I could of even depended on guy #2 to be a net man ! I'd rather take a nap in a hammock not a day of invited fishing.......that's just me though.
DaleL
Posted 6/22/2017 1:43 PM (#866026 - in reply to #859659)

Seems like the link is broken or the article disappeared. This is a great thread.

I prefer to fish alone but sometimes, not often, I will fish three out of my boat. I don't like to but it just works out that way. A time on leech I was doing a controlled drift over a large weed bed. I instructed the guy in back to work the back area, the middle guy to work the middle and I would work the front. Simple enough. After a few minutes of drifting I noticed both guys casting towards the front. I let it go for awhile and it got almost comical. Both guys were casing almost parallel to the boat towards the front. I put an end to that by casting to the back and middle right over their lines LOL.
bloodhound
Posted 7/8/2017 12:28 PM (#868221 - in reply to #859659)
Subject: RE: How Not To Be That Guy

I guess I am generally more lenient than some. Only two guys I ever said I wont invite back on my boat. One was a guy from work I didnt know that well, he showed up with nothing which was fine. I had brought a 6 pack and 2 sandwiches. Before I finished my first beer he had downed the other 5 and both sandwiches and kept complaining on how could I not bring more beer fishing, luckily it only lasted 20 or so minutes before he took a 2 hour nap. Other guy is a decent friend, he always brings a case and drinks about 20 of them himself and gets belligerent. Tried suggesting a few times that I think a 12er would be enough for an afternoon but still brought the case and got tossed. Still my bud, but not in the boat.

In general the guys that get invited out often ask if they can help when launching / loading (some I let, others not), bring beer or snacks at least half the time, and are quick with the net.

Guys that get invited to my cabin often bring at least some supplies and help with whatever yard work or end of trip clean up is needed.
25homes
Posted 7/12/2017 1:39 PM (#869880 - in reply to #862402)

Cody - 5/22/2017 10:13 AM

I mainly fish alone. My girls are in college and doing internships. My wife can't get away with work and elder care etc. I live in a remote area. It would be nice to have a fishing partner, however I do like the situation at present. Can quit when I want, no time constraints, more relaxing, I'm always up when trolling, never have to listen to complaints or unwanted advice, no splitting the cost, that make me the generous big spender. There are downside though I'm always the net man !

youve had a few good ones in your boat I see....you ever need a fishing partner on a Monday I live in PA as well down by Pittsburgh see your NW not sure how far up but sounds like you in prime country up there my man...If you ever go south and want to fish let me know as well
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)