Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Sab bay guides

Message Subject: Sab bay guides
LTC1
Posted 4/24/2017 9:08 AM (#859400)
Subject: Sab bay guides

Hello everyone. My wife and I are planning a long trip to mylies this summer. It is my first time to lotw and I will be fishing solo 90% of the time. I would like to book a guide for a day early on to shorten the learning curve. In a short conversation I had with Justin at mylies he said most of the guides he uses costs x amount (can't remember exactly couple hundred I believe). But he said that they use your boat. This struck me as kind of odd. One thing about that would be nice is have the days activities saved on my gps. But other than that I see no benefit from this. I am less concerned with putting a bunch of fish in the boat that day as learning as much as I can.

So am I overthinking thinking this? I would love to hear your guys thoughts on this and any experience with guides set up at mylies or recommendations on guides in the area.

Thanks in advance, Luke
Musky Brian
Posted 4/24/2017 9:28 AM (#859405 - in reply to #859400)
Subject: Re: Sab bay guides

That sounds kind of half ass...a lot of resorts in Canada don't set you up with good guides, but they will still be glad to take your money. I would use caution. For some reason, there aren't very many reputable musky guides on LOTW, especially that part of the lake.

There's a guy named Darcy Finlan...not sure if he handles Sabaskong but he's out of Sioux Narrows. If you google his name you can find contact info, he's on Facebook too.

Edited by Musky Brian 4/24/2017 9:34 AM
Dan Klis
Posted 4/24/2017 1:39 PM (#859434 - in reply to #859405)

Many of the guides in that area are Native, and probably don't have the resources for a nice rig. But you may want to contact Ballards Black Island, they may have some.
North of 8
Posted 4/24/2017 2:57 PM (#859449 - in reply to #859434)

With modern electronics, wouldn't that be a good thing? Not only could you put in way points for spots where you contacted fish, but you could chart how you navigated the waters, so when you went out by yourself you would have a track to follow safely.
Mudpuppy
Posted 4/25/2017 5:07 PM (#859574 - in reply to #859449)

Be careful you will have a hard time finding a legit guide for muskies on Sab. Justin marked a map for me my first time.....never even close to the best fishing on Sab.

Mudpuppy
MuskyMidget
Posted 4/25/2017 8:58 PM (#859589 - in reply to #859400)

I almost hired a guide on LOTW from a resort. I was told very boldly no GPS tracking devices were allowed.

I was like really? Are you going to blindfold me too? Regardless of having a GPS or not the guide should at least show you were you're at on a map.

Needless to say I saved my money.

Pointerpride102
Posted 4/25/2017 9:18 PM (#859591 - in reply to #859574)

Mudpuppy - 4/25/2017 5:07 PM

Be careful you will have a hard time finding a legit guide for muskies on Sab. Justin marked a map for me my first time.....never even close to the best fishing on Sab.

Mudpuppy

Can I hire you in August??
MuskyMidget
Posted 4/25/2017 9:26 PM (#859592 - in reply to #859400)

I've fished with Darcy Cox several times. Honest legit LOTW guide.

But he fishes out of Kenora.
LTC1
Posted 4/26/2017 8:09 AM (#859612 - in reply to #859592)

Thank you everyone for the responses. I will be careful and now maybe thinking of forgoing a guide. Dan do you have and experience with the guys at ballards? I'm thinking of calling them but nervous to get just get some kid who knows some spots but maybe doesn't have any knowledge to share.
The wife and I are traveling this year by motorhome and are on a budget and I was able to get lotw for a month so maybe I don't push my luck with a guide. But then again I have fished a couple big shield lakes and the first bit can be overwhelming especially solo. So if any of you guys are in that neck of the woods and don't have a boat mate or yours is burnt out (like my normal Canada crew gets after a full day of casting for Muskie). I will have a spot open. I will be there July 10 through august 10.

Thanks again for the replies! Please keep them coming if anyone has anything else on the matter.
Luke
Propster
Posted 4/26/2017 8:40 AM (#859617 - in reply to #859400)

You really do not need a guide. What you need is to get the map, and have somebody show you what type of spots make a good spot, and show you a few different types so you know what you are looking for. Then it is just muskie fishing - seeing where they are and what they will eat. The first time we fished Sab we started on a long island not far from Morson there and just fished stuff that looked good. Points, boulders, cup bays that had a little sand, reeds, weeds - and by the time we finished just the one side of the island we had eight follows and missed two fish in an hour and a half. The other thing you should consider is reading Dick Pearson's book Muskies on the Shield. If it looks good it probably is, just get out there and enjoy it. It is awesome.
LTC1
Posted 4/26/2017 9:06 AM (#859620 - in reply to #859617)

Yeah it's looking like that's what I will do. It funny that you say Muskie on the shield because I'm currently in the motorhome avoiding the freezing rain with my beat up copy of it next to me going over it for the ? Time. Wishing it was July.
BNelson
Posted 4/26/2017 11:05 AM (#859637 - in reply to #859400)

as others have said, not sure you need to hire a guide, from what I've heard Mylie will mark up a map for you of some good spots .. they of course want you to do well, so you book again for the next year... repeat biz is name of the game... any rock reef, island complex, weedy bay, sandy bay, all will and can hold skis... sometimes the best spots are the ones the masses don't hit ...
Dan Klis
Posted 4/26/2017 7:49 PM (#859718 - in reply to #859612)

All I know is Ballards runs a first class resort on the Rainy River and can't imagine the Black Island is any different. Not trying to take anything away from Mylies. Justin runs a great operation. But Ballards may have a guide available you could hire.

For me the biggest deal on LOTW is learning navigation, a marked map will show you what to look for with respect to spots. I have spent a ton of time in that area of the lake and is actually my favorite part of the lake, even though
I own a cabin at the Angle.

There might be a possibility of me heading across the lake to fish with some friends that have a cabin in Morton during that time frame. If that happens would be happy to fish for a half day with you.

Edited by Dan Klis 4/26/2017 7:54 PM
Tamarack
Posted 4/27/2017 1:43 AM (#859751 - in reply to #859400)

Just thought I would chime in. Justin does run a great camp; just look at the reviews he gets, and his very limited availability. However he does not employ any guides as far as I know. I'm sure he has access to a few, but its not really his forte. You will definately pay more to fish out of a guides boat, expect to pay in the $350 to $500 range to be guided out of a nicely set up boat. $100 of that will likely cover the fuel involved. 90% of our musky guys do not use guides, if they do it is usually fo a day or 2 early in their stay.
As a rule of thumb, if it looks good fish it. We offer our customers the option to fish out of their boat or one of our deluxe guide boats, when hiring a guide. Most of the time they fish out of their own because of the difference in cost. The other benefit is having everything saved on your electronics which our guides are happy to do. You will not go wrong if you can get Rueban Gibbins, (Black Island) Oliver Gibbins (Tamarack, Grassy Narrows) Paddy Gibbins (Grassy Narrows), or Jason Gibbins (Obabikon).They are all great guides. However they are hard to get as they are employed by various camps. There is a decent second tier of guides in the area. Our son Paul has done quite a bit of guiding in the last 2 years, he is young, but knows his stuff pretty good, and you do have a great chance of catching some fish. He is by far a better musky guide than I am. He can guide you out of a 20' Crestliner with a 250hp, or an Alumacraft Navigator with a 90hp. One of our other guides Larry is good too, he can guide you out of the above boats or his own 18' Pro V with a 115. I would classify Paul and Larry as part of the 2nd tier of guides around the Morson area. I hope that helps.
Todd

Edited by Tamarack 4/27/2017 1:56 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)