Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Spring Hazards

Message Subject: Spring Hazards
North of 8
Posted 4/23/2017 6:30 PM (#859327)
Subject: Spring Hazards

Just a reminder to folks that things change over the winter on northern lakes and to be a little careful when out for the first time. When putting my dock in, I noticed what looked to be a smallish branch out about 150' from shore. Over the winter it is not uncommon for branches, logs to get caught by the ice and eventually shoved into the bottom by moving ice. Went out in the canoe and on the way back thought I would grab that branch, pull it out so no one hit it. Well, it turned out to be a birch log, maybe 8" in diameter and 8 to 10' long stuck in the bottom at about a 45 degree angle in 4 to 5 feet of water. When I put the fishing boat in, I will try and drag it out with the motor, but could not budge it from the canoe. Hardly anything sticking up from the surface, would hate to hit it with a boat.
zombietrolling
Posted 4/23/2017 6:57 PM (#859333 - in reply to #859327)
Subject: Re: Spring Hazards

I fish a lake that used to have a lot of standing timber on the north end and over the years as the trees have broken off the first few rides in the spring are an adventure. What used to be a well defined channel flanked by trees is now interrupted by fallen and broken off timber in the middle of water line stumps. Slow is the key word.
KenK
Posted 4/24/2017 10:37 AM (#859413 - in reply to #859327)
Subject: Re: Spring Hazards

I put my pier in this weekend as well. Quite a few obstacles moved and some new ones! Always an adventure!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)