Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Shallow Bulldawgs.....when?

Message Subject: Shallow Bulldawgs.....when?
Ruddiger
Posted 4/20/2017 8:09 PM (#859050)
Subject: Shallow Bulldawgs.....when?

Howdy,

Do any of you use shallow bulldawgs that much? I've not hear a lot of good things about them, however, I also don't know many people who actually use them (so maybe they are awesome).

Based upon color options they appear to have a very small footprint in the market compared to regular bulldawgs and the myriad of colors available. I assume that reflects their lack of popularity.

Aside from staying high in the water column to fish shallow weeds and rocks I don't see a lot of applications for them, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Any experience with using them would be much appreciated.

Take care,

Ruddiger
monsterlures
Posted 4/20/2017 8:15 PM (#859052 - in reply to #859050)
Subject: Re: Shallow Bulldawgs.....when?

Exacly as you described, use them on top of shallow weedbeds and rocks.
I fish from the shore so I use the shallow pounder almost exclusively compared to the regular pounder.

Since they are non weighted, the body has a almost crankbait like side to side swing when swimming that I finde really cool
muskyroller
Posted 4/20/2017 8:44 PM (#859063 - in reply to #859052)

Rivers. I own 3 shallow dawgs to every 1 regular I own. I also fish small, shallow rivers 3 to 1 over lakes. So, that's why I use em.
jdsplasher
Posted 4/20/2017 8:57 PM (#859067 - in reply to #859052)

Tad; I think the footprint in shallow dawgs is bigger than you think. Everything is relative to the body of water you fish, the depth you fish!!!

If you fished in Canada, much of the water fished is shallow. I love a shallow dawg in Canada. Preferably, a Cork style Hellkat. A finesse style dawg that sinks ever SOOO slow! Awesome in shallow rocks in 3-7 ft. Depths.

Fishing styles also dictate shallow or deep type of presentation. Yes, there are times when clearer deeper fishing patterns may be the ticket, for regular dawgs, especially when getting into the warmer part of the season, then also later in fall as fish drop down a bit.

Shallow dawgs/ Hellkats have its time and place!

JD

Rudedog
Posted 4/21/2017 10:23 PM (#859214 - in reply to #859050)
Subject: RE: Shallow Bulldawgs.....when?

They are awesome.
Just a big glider style jerkbait with a great hang-time. With some practice they glide to the side pretty good. I use them a lot, when I want a big easy target.
Mostly over cover as mentioned, weeds, shallower rock areas too.
Very underrated lure.
Fishysam
Posted 4/22/2017 7:55 AM (#859232 - in reply to #859050)

They tend to have less action on the pause/sink since they don't move as much the tail doesn't kick, but I feel like they kick more than a normal medusa
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)