Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Lund sport trak brackets

Reply New post
Message Subject: Lund sport trak brackets
tkuntz
Posted 4/17/2017 10:03 AM (#857444)
Subject: Lund sport trak brackets

I just picked up a new Lund that has the 42° sport trak channel on the inside of the gunnel. Are the Lund brand brackets strong enough to troll for muskies? I'd hate to lose a holder/rod/reel/line/leader/lure setup and possibly kill a fish. I'd likely be using Scotty or folbe rod holders.

I see a few companies make metal brackets but at almost $70 a pop I'm tempted to "engineer" my own out of aluminum stock to avoid spending $300 on brackets alone.
Paramuskyhunter
Posted 4/17/2017 10:36 AM (#857449 - in reply to #857444)
Subject: RE: Lund sport trak brackets

The brackets are strong enough just have to be choosy on your rod holders.
pklingen
Posted 4/17/2017 7:32 PM (#857510 - in reply to #857444)
Subject: Re: Lund sport trak brackets

i bought the cisco brand that fits this trac system then attached a FAT AZ rod holder that fits to the top of the cisco. all metal, strong as you'd ever need!
TheShow
Posted 4/17/2017 9:24 PM (#857539 - in reply to #857510)

Yep, they're strong enough.

I turned mine 180 degrees so that they're actually upside down; by doing this they lay flat up on top of the rail but don't necessarily contact it unless under heavy load. Just to be safe I wrapped the underside of the bracket with felt for a barrier between the brackets and the rail.

Next I mounted Folbe rod holder bases to the flat, top facing side of the brackets. Using short bolts, the hardware is all hidden.
Works awesome.

In my opinion, my way is stronger than using the sport-trak the 'correct' way and having to use an extension post up to the rod holder to get it above the rail.
sukrchukr
Posted 4/22/2017 7:03 AM (#859230 - in reply to #857444)

they are strong enough by far.... you`re trolling so you should be backing off your drag anyway, if something breaks, your drag is too tight
Targa01
Posted 4/22/2017 6:18 PM (#859259 - in reply to #857444)

No issues with my Lund sport trak either and I use the RAM rod holder. The holders do flex or twist some if the drag is fairly tight and you snag bottom but I've had the same set for 12 years and never failed. Cheap and rods are easy to get out even with high tension.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)