Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> First boat related death in WI in 2017 (Sad) (So be safe)

Message Subject: First boat related death in WI in 2017 (Sad) (So be safe)
btfish
Posted 4/5/2017 8:25 AM (#855994)
Subject: First boat related death in WI in 2017 (Sad) (So be safe)

Sadly Wisconsin has already had a boat related death in the State as reported by the Green Bay news. This is an unfortunate issue for the family.

Guys we simply can not take being safe on the water for granted. I still recall 20+ years ago when we did a pool side demo in Green Bay of a guy jumping into the water with Sorel boots on and a snowmobile suit. The guys jumped in and to our amazement sunk like a rock (RIGHT NOW). It took about 5 of us to pull him out with the safety rope we had attached to him. (I am sure Dave remembers this)

1. Life jackets save lives, consider wearing one. I prefer an inflatable and wear it 100% of the time. (Yes it works!) It is also the law that Children under the age of 13 must wear a properly fitted Personal Flotation Device (life jacket) when onboard any vessel. Look at the regulations.

2. Can you get back in your boat if you fall out??? Try it, you may be surprised. Yes you can climb back in on the motor but that is not always very easy. If you are older and/or out of shape??? If you don't have a boarding ladder consider making a rope ladder that you can tie on a cleat. Some one told me new boats sold in Wi now have to have some type of device to assist you in getting back in, but I did not look it up so this may not be true.

3. Use your boat lights. In Wisconsin this means from (Sunset to Sunrise). With todays modern equipment this is easy but still not done as well as it should be. I am sure we could all tell Horror stories about is, even in Canada.

Guys the whole idea is to go have fun and come home so everyone can do it again. Like someone said on another post "someone else will always catch more and bigger than you so go and enjoy". Last if you see someone struggling at a boat landing instead of getting upset, give them a hand. (Trust me this works better for everyone)

So enjoy your day and be safe when you get in your boat.

Brad
ToddM
Posted 4/5/2017 9:37 AM (#855995 - in reply to #855994)
Subject: Re: First boat related death in WI in 2017 (Sad) (So be safe)

Getting back in the boat is much harder than you think, if you are at all able. I bet most cannot do it. Use the outboard as a ladder to get back in, you will not be able to climb in over the side. The more clothes, boots ect the harder it will be.
muskyhunter47
Posted 4/5/2017 9:55 AM (#855996 - in reply to #855995)

I seen a you tube video where the guy used the power trim to help him get in the boat
bbradley
Posted 4/5/2017 10:32 AM (#856002 - in reply to #855994)

I think ladders should be mandatory on all boats.
followking
Posted 4/5/2017 10:46 AM (#856003 - in reply to #855994)

I believe they are required on new boats. I just bought one and the dealer told me it's not an option. It's hard enough to get back in warmer water. Cold water like it is now, forget about it.
lifeisfun
Posted 4/5/2017 1:33 PM (#856016 - in reply to #855994)

I have to try it in the summer time, never did. Doesn't look that difficult but clearly not easy if so many people say so.
ToddM
Posted 4/5/2017 2:15 PM (#856022 - in reply to #855994)

I fell out of my small boat about 9 years ago. I had heavy rain gear, sweatshirt and boots on. I could not get back over the side of the boat. I told my kids to use the trolling motor to get to shallow water to get back in. Luckily the water was not cold. I was shocked i could not get back in. I did not at the time try to climb on the motor.

Edited by ToddM 4/5/2017 2:16 PM
tkuntz
Posted 4/5/2017 2:30 PM (#856023 - in reply to #856022)

ToddM - 4/5/2017 2:15 PM

I fell out of my small boat about 9 years ago. I had heavy rain gear, sweatshirt and boots on. I could not get back over the side of the boat. I told my kids to use the trolling motor to get to shallow water to get back in. Luckily the water was not cold. I was shocked i could not get back in. I did not at the time try to climb on the motor.

It's not something people think of before they're looking up at the gunnel of their own boat. I bathed in the lake a few times during the summer and it was incredible how difficult it was for me to pull myself back into the boat wearing absolutely nothing but a determined look on my face. I can't imagine doing it in boots and 75lb of soaked cold weather gear.
Johnnie
Posted 4/5/2017 5:42 PM (#856048 - in reply to #855994)

I suggest everyone practice the power trim method this summer with warm water. Practice before you really need it or buy a boat ladder
North of 8
Posted 4/5/2017 7:01 PM (#856057 - in reply to #856048)

Number of good suggestions here. One of the most important things you can do relative to water safety is be prepared, think about what you would do if you went in the water every time you go out. I am a fairly strong swimmer, having swum in pools at least three times a week for many years. But what I always remember is something that happened many years ago. I was not yet in my teens in the early 1960s and staying at my uncles cabin in northern WI. We were listening to the radio news while we ate breakfast and heard the sad story of a guy who had drowned the while fishing out of a resort in northern WI. The other guests could hear his calls for help but couldn't locate him in time. The next day they found his body in a little over 3' of water. Had he kept calm and tried to touch bottom, he could have walked to shore. Over the years I have talked to several water safety folks and they said that next to wearing a life jacket, keeping calm is the single most important thing you can do. Shuck those boots, even it means getting your head in the water and don't lace them tight to start with. Minimize your energy usage. A survival float is one of the best ways to achieve this if you must stay in the water. Being mentally prepared is really important. You probably spend 10 minutes planning how you are going to approach fishing each day. Take five minutes and think about how to stay safe on that same trip.
One final thing to try is to get in the water when it is cold. It is painful but you will learn just how cold water reduces your physical abilities. Many years ago, while in my 30s, I was swimming 5 days a week for at least 40 minutes. I decided to try swimming in Lake Superior in June when the lake was in the low 50s. I stayed shallow and swam parallel to shore. In less than ten minutes my legs and arms felt like lead and I was incredibly fatigued. I had to get out after less than 15 minutes and I had to rest for a long time after that.
Junkman
Posted 4/6/2017 7:36 AM (#856096 - in reply to #855994)

I have an imprint that, just yesterday, had me putting on a life jacket on a fairly windy day down here in paradise. It was the very last event of the, now defunct WMT at Nameakagon near Hayward. Early Friday afternoon, two Madison musky guys (not in the tournament) fishing very close to to me in wind and rain had one of them fall off the back of the boat. The angler in front never heard a thing in the whipping wind, and the man was lost. The Friday rules meeting went on while the rescue divers searched a large roped off area for the man's body. All day Saturday, we could see the grim work continue not very far from the "ease out" for the event. Saturday night in the bar and restaurant, all of us grew quiet when it became clear the man's family had gathered there waiting for the search to resume Sunday morning. Everyone knew there was to be no happy ending to the search. About the same time Sunday we were returning to the docks, the divers recovered the body. Clearly, this did not have to happen. Honestly, I'm still ashamed I continued to fish while it did. But I did learn a lesson, played out to the perfection of suffering clearly visible on the faces of the loved ones who sat and waited for the news. We owe our families the favor of wearing our life jacket.
btfish
Posted 4/6/2017 8:41 AM (#856104 - in reply to #856096)

If you fish enough it's not a matter of if, but when you will fall in. It has happened in my boat 3 times over the last 25 years.

1st time, large guy out the back, no ladder and he could not get in. I quickly made a rope ladder by tying a few loops and he was in. Now that has been on the back corner of ever boat I am in. If I get in a buddies boat that doesn't have one, I make one and put it on.

2nd time, my son out the back on a hook set on a September morning. He did have a life jacket on so he popped up and I grabbed him but the St Croix rod he was holding was gone. He was very cold and scared. I quickly hit the button on the locator to make a way point. The next day I came back to the same spot and tosses out a big Joe and dragged it back. On the third cast I got a line and was able to bring the rod up.

3rd time, me. Honestly don't know what happened as to why I went out. A bit of a wave but the front deck on my Tuffy is massive and I keep it clear. This was 3 years ago, my head was way under but I can still hear the Co2 cartridge of my inflatable deploying and I popped up quickly. What a sweet sound. Not sure how but I managed to keep the grip on my St Croix and Shimano TE which I was able to put into the boat. I didn't even try to climb in as I have tried it and I know I can't. I pulled myself to the back of the boat and climbed in with the rope ladder that is always there. Pulled out the change of cloths I keep in a dry bag and everything was good. It was great advise to tell us to stay calm when this happens but for me seeing this happen first hand 3 times now, panic/scared is what happens. I have tried the motor thing and that is rough, put a rope ladder on if you don't have a real boarding ladder.

This is also a good reason to have the boat light on, when this happens after dark it will really be scary.

3 simple things guys.
Life Jacket
Means to get in back in the boat
Boat Light, yes boat Lights

Also don't forget to give that old guy or inexperienced person a hand at the landing, it could be you someday.

Enjoy your day.

Brad

Edited by btfish 4/6/2017 8:45 AM
Top H2O
Posted 4/6/2017 9:35 AM (#856108 - in reply to #856104)

A man died when he fell out of his boat while putting on his life jacket on the Mississippi River the other day... He was swept over a Lock and Dam down near Genoa WI.
It only takes a split second to be in Danger.
Sad.
Pike Master
Posted 4/6/2017 10:29 AM (#856110 - in reply to #855994)

About 6 years ago I had an experience in the far north of Saskatchewan where I fish. This is an extremely remote area and we were the only ones there. It was the start of October which is just before freeze up in that area. The temperature was -6C which is about 21F, and it had snowed a couple inches that day. It was about 7pm and it was pitch black dark after cleaning some keeper sized pike. The only light we had to clean the fish and walk out to the dock was a propane lantern. My 10 year old daughter was holding the lantern and walking behind me as I walked to the end of the dock and fired the 5 gallon pail of guts out into the water. I was in a hurry and I got a bit too far ahead of her and there wasn't enough light. I went to plant my foot at the end of the dock while firing the guts out of the pail at the same time. Well, where I went to plant my foot was apparently just off the dock in the water. I went flying full force into the water as I was also attempting to throw the contents of the pail out at the same time. It's about 12 feet deep at the end of the dock and the water is very cold up there. I was wearing full winter gear and boots including a touque. I was fully submerged and I'm guessing the top of my head was about 2 feet under the water. I knew immediately my survival and possibly my family's was in my hands. I heard my daughter yell "Dad!!!" as I came to the surface. I turned around and reached the dock which was about 16" above the water surface. I grabbed on and pulled myself up on the dock with all that soaking wet winter gear. It was quite an experience to say the least! I didn't have a problem pulling myself up but I knew it could very well be life or death. I would of been 36 years old when that happened and about 215-220lbs. Last summer I jumped out of the boat on Tobin Lake in central Saskatchewan for a short swim and easily pulled myself in over the side but I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts.

Edited by Pike Master 4/6/2017 10:31 AM
North of 8
Posted 4/6/2017 10:53 AM (#856115 - in reply to #856104)

btfish - 4/6/2017 8:41 AM

If you fish enough it's not a matter of if, but when you will fall in. It has happened in my boat 3 times over the last 25 years.

1st time, large guy out the back, no ladder and he could not get in. I quickly made a rope ladder by tying a few loops and he was in. Now that has been on the back corner of ever boat I am in. If I get in a buddies boat that doesn't have one, I make one and put it on.

2nd time, my son out the back on a hook set on a September morning. He did have a life jacket on so he popped up and I grabbed him but the St Croix rod he was holding was gone. He was very cold and scared. I quickly hit the button on the locator to make a way point. The next day I came back to the same spot and tosses out a big Joe and dragged it back. On the third cast I got a line and was able to bring the rod up.

3rd time, me. Honestly don't know what happened as to why I went out. A bit of a wave but the front deck on my Tuffy is massive and I keep it clear. This was 3 years ago, my head was way under but I can still hear the Co2 cartridge of my inflatable deploying and I popped up quickly. What a sweet sound. Not sure how but I managed to keep the grip on my St Croix and Shimano TE which I was able to put into the boat. I didn't even try to climb in as I have tried it and I know I can't. I pulled myself to the back of the boat and climbed in with the rope ladder that is always there. Pulled out the change of cloths I keep in a dry bag and everything was good. It was great advise to tell us to stay calm when this happens but for me seeing this happen first hand 3 times now, panic/scared is what happens. I have tried the motor thing and that is rough, put a rope ladder on if you don't have a real boarding ladder.

This is also a good reason to have the boat light on, when this happens after dark it will really be scary.

3 simple things guys.
Life Jacket

Also don't forget to give that old guy or inexperienced person a hand at the landing, it could be you someday.

Enjoy your day.

Brad :)

It is only natural to be scared but if you are prepared and have thought through the what ifs before heading out, you are much less likely to panic. Panic interferes with rational thought and that is what you want to avoid.
ToddM
Posted 4/6/2017 12:12 PM (#856125 - in reply to #855994)

The thing about falling out of the boat is that confusion. Since it is not voluntary, confusion and disorientation starts immediately. In my case, a seat pedestal popped out and i backflipped head first into the drink. No warning, just happened. I was casting a light action spinning rod for panfish. Takes a couple seconds to know which way is up. If you compounded that with cold water, easy to panic. I wasnt even wearing a tennessee hat!

Edited by ToddM 4/6/2017 12:14 PM
btfish
Posted 4/6/2017 12:20 PM (#856129 - in reply to #856115)

North of 8

You are absolutely 100% correct that staying calm and being prepared is very important. In my case I was prepared to get back in for two reasons. 1. It happened long ago so we now practice it. 2. I know I can't get back in from when we have gone swimming.

As for the staying calm thing, you are absolutely correct that is the preferred thing to do. But I am just saying (nobody ever plans to fall out of a boat) and when it happens it is so fast and sudden that it is so scary, try as you may it's hard to stay calm. In my case I did okay because I have used my rope ladder 100s of times when we have gone swimming so I knew what to do.

So like others like you are saying having the correct equipment is one thing, but practice using it too so it becomes a reaction when you need it.

But also make sure you are using your boat lights.

Almost the weekend, enjoy your day.

Brad
BigC
Posted 4/6/2017 1:06 PM (#856139 - in reply to #855994)

I've used the motor trim method once or twice. It's actually the main reason I left the trolling buddy on my motor when I purchased the boat, nice big flat surface to stand on, if need be.

Edited by BigC 4/6/2017 1:08 PM
Muskiemetal
Posted 4/6/2017 2:59 PM (#856157 - in reply to #855994)

I saw this boat as it was spinning out on Little Butte Des Morte that day, very sad. Small boats can get tippy and you need to pay attention. The cold water is enough of a shock but that boat could have spun around and hit the guy as well. The water was flat calm so it can happen at anytime.
North of 8
Posted 4/6/2017 3:46 PM (#856165 - in reply to #856129)

btfish - 4/6/2017 12:20 PM

North of 8

You are absolutely 100% correct that staying calm and being prepared is very important. In my case I was prepared to get back in for two reasons. 1. It happened long ago so we now practice it. 2. I know I can't get back in from when we have gone swimming.

As for the staying calm thing, you are absolutely correct that is the preferred thing to do. But I am just saying (nobody ever plans to fall out of a boat) and when it happens it is so fast and sudden that it is so scary, try as you may it's hard to stay calm. In my case I did okay because I have used my rope ladder 100s of times when we have gone swimming so I knew what to do.

So like others like you are saying having the correct equipment is one thing, but practice using it too so it becomes a reaction when you need it.

But also make sure you are using your boat lights.

Almost the weekend, enjoy your day.

And after reading your story, I ordered a rope ladder for my new (to me) fishing boat.
beerforthemuskygods
Posted 4/6/2017 6:07 PM (#856188 - in reply to #856108)

Top H2O - 4/6/2017 9:35 AM

A man died when he fell out of his boat while putting on his life jacket on the Mississippi River the other day... He was swept over a Lock and Dam down near Genoa WI.
It only takes a split second to be in Danger.
Sad.

As tragic as this accident was, I can't help but not believe that he didn't help his cause. He was fishing within the boundary of the dam. There are buoys there for a reason, there are signs there that say "stay back". Yet, there he was fishin in the don't go area. Also, when fishin below dams, always have your motor started before you pick up your anchor, which this guy didn't do. Even if this guy had his life jacket on, I'd still only give him a 50/50 chance. The river is high and fast now and some people do not respect this river the way they should. It'll chew you up and spit you out 7 miles down stream.
NathanH
Posted 4/7/2017 6:34 AM (#856243 - in reply to #856188)

Very sad. There are lots of things we can do to be safe wear a life jacket and for me keeps clean boat deck. Muskie guys are the worst regarding clean decks stuff all over the place makes it easy to trip and fall.
Softwater
Posted 4/7/2017 1:53 PM (#856273 - in reply to #855994)
Subject: RE: First boat related death in WI in 2017 (Sad) (So be safe)

I totally agree with this whole post, but I think your statement about the law requiring "Children under the age of 13" is not totally accurate. That statement is taken from boating regulations (Page 8), but only applies to boats underway in an open vessel on "Federally Controlled Waters".

Anybody under 18 in my boat (no matter the water) is required to wear one by my own rules, and don't know why they stipulate only "Federally Controlled Waters", as it should be on ANY water (IMO). I was "corrected" (not so politely) by a parent who's little kids with no life preservers were climbing all over a boat (as kids do), about what was legal. It may have been legal, but made me cringe.

Excellent thread...

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/LE/LE0301.pdf

Don
Jeremy
Posted 4/9/2017 11:07 AM (#856420 - in reply to #856104)

btfish - 4/6/2017 8:41 AM

3 simple things guys.
Life Jacket

Enjoy your day.

Brad, thanks for this. I could stand to take some action since I'm scrawny and less strong than I'd like even tho I think I'm in decent shape.

I do have a ladder on back of my boat but even so, in summer and little clothing it's a bit of a bugger to board. I should think it would be near impossible in winter gear. And I fish solo a lot!!

I have to figure out that rope ladder deally you have. It must be always attached and easily accessible. I'll have to figure out how I'd do that w/o it getting in the way all year.

Thank you. You very well could've saved a tragedy here by posting this.

BTW, I'm one of "those " who'll never fall out of my boat.....ya, riiiight!!!

Good post man!
fifty1incher
Posted 4/18/2017 2:05 PM (#857641 - in reply to #856273)
Subject: RE: First boat related death in WI in 2017 (Sad) (So be safe)

Softwater - 4/7/2017 1:53 PM

I totally agree with this whole post, but I think your statement about the law requiring "Children under the age of 13" is not totally accurate. That statement is taken from boating regulations (Page 8), but only applies to boats underway in an open vessel on "Federally Controlled Waters".

Anybody under 18 in my boat (no matter the water) is required to wear one by my own rules, and don't know why they stipulate only "Federally Controlled Waters", as it should be on ANY water (IMO). I was "corrected" (not so politely) by a parent who's little kids with no life preservers were climbing all over a boat (as kids do), about what was legal. It may have been legal, but made me cringe.

Excellent thread...

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/LE/LE0301.pdf

Don

Interseting, I didn't know it specifies federal waters.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)