Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Sunset Lodge LOTW

Message Subject: Sunset Lodge LOTW
ksmusky
Posted 3/23/2017 12:35 PM (#854628)
Subject: Sunset Lodge LOTW

Has anyone done any musky fishing up there in late June? We will be heading up there this year and am wondering what to expect. I would like to bring my own boat. Would that be recommended or should we look into renting a boat.
Udee2159
Posted 3/24/2017 1:44 AM (#854729 - in reply to #854628)
Subject: Re: Sunset Lodge LOTW

Hey there-

Late June right after opener is typically when I go to LOTW. It can be really good as long as those early season cold fronts stay away. All your usual Lures and presentations will work. As for the boat, I always bring mine. Haven't tried their rentals, but the website has them for ~$170/day plus gas. Depending on what you're running and cost, that may help you decide. Good luck.
Musky Brian
Posted 3/24/2017 8:14 AM (#854747 - in reply to #854729)

I would say it is an "ok" time, not great. Overall size is usually down, tons of follows (20+) daily but not necessarily consistent eaters. Usually at some point between the last week of June and first week of July the bigger girls start showing up and eating more consistently. Really dependent on how the spring goes and the weather in that window. I'm burning double 8's that time of year
Reelwise
Posted 3/24/2017 11:00 AM (#854765 - in reply to #854747)

To continue what Brian posted... I have three words for you. Big... Game... Tackle.
sworrall
Posted 3/24/2017 6:46 PM (#854820 - in reply to #854628)

Great resort, we fish there every year and a scheduled for October in 2017. The above advice is good. I like bringing my own boat.We'd be there right now fishing giant crappies and nice walleyes, but the ice went out up in the Angle while we were up shooting out of Arnesen's Rocky Point with Clam Outdoors, Vexilar, and Lake of the woods Tourism this week.

Plenty of ice out of Baudette still and the fishing was great, I didn't want to come home. There are boats all over the Rainy river, and we passed a stream of them heading North when we hit the road for home. Pretty cool, ice fish in the morning, open water afternoon.
IAJustin
Posted 3/25/2017 7:23 AM (#854848 - in reply to #854820)

If you have never been to the angle Lotw or even if you have it sounds like you haven't been there in June, find a guide for your first day! Many groups I've spoke to over the years that time of year struggle, I personally thinking opener/end of June is a great time, I rarely throw bucktails that time of year , generally I fish spots very slow, similar boat speed to late fall... someone in my boat has got a 50+ 8 out of the last 12 June trips, so we have found it decent for big fish too. And while I'm a rookie on the woods compared to a few that stop on this website from time to time, I've been fishing lotw for over 18 years, if you don't have someone in your group with at least a few years experience on that part of the lake, get a guide you'll be glad you did
Reelwise
Posted 3/26/2017 2:56 AM (#854952 - in reply to #854628)

IAJustin - don't sell yourself short. You are a Lake of the Woods vet.
Dan Klis
Posted 3/26/2017 7:48 AM (#854959 - in reply to #854952)

Maybe a little different conditions this year if the ice goes off early as many are expecting.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)