Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskie Aches and Pains

Message Subject: Muskie Aches and Pains
Kirby Budrow
Posted 3/23/2017 11:35 AM (#854616)
Subject: Muskie Aches and Pains

Most of us who have been at this a while are in physical pain from all the big baits and what not. I've got neck pain, sciatic nerve problems and headaches, but the worst lately is my thumb. The big meaty part of it gets really cramped up from thumbing the spool, especially later in the season when throwing heavy baits. But it has bothered me all winter this year. Aside from switching casting arms (which I will attempt to do this season), does anyone have any good advice on relieving this pain?
muskidiem
Posted 3/23/2017 11:48 AM (#854618 - in reply to #854616)
Subject: Re: Muskie Aches and Pains

Do you wear a neoprene hand brace? VanRemortal spoke at WI Muskellunge(yeah I typed the whole word)Expo and encouraged one for the fatigue factor. I don't fish enough to need one but saw them for about $8. This doesn't relieve what you currently have. I'd try to gleen some free advice from a physical therapist.
Slamr
Posted 3/23/2017 11:54 AM (#854619 - in reply to #854618)

Drink a sh*t load of water. Beyond working out, seeing a physical therapist, etc. etc...drinking water should help with cramping.
esoxaddict
Posted 3/23/2017 12:21 PM (#854625 - in reply to #854616)

Holding the foregrip of the rod helps. If you take your thumb and bend it back towards your elbow, basically stretching that area (lightly) it seems to help loosen things up a bit. I bought one of those wrist braces and started sleeping with it on. Not sure what I was doing in my sleep, but it was always bad in the morning. The wrist brace helped a ton to the point where I don't even wear it anymore.
25homes
Posted 3/23/2017 12:36 PM (#854629 - in reply to #854616)

have you had it looked at? I cant imagine switching up casting hands or reeling hands like Ive read on here...seems the change would be hard enough not to mention the cost of switch equipment with reels
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 3/23/2017 12:39 PM (#854630 - in reply to #854616)

Pamprin is supposed to help.
NathanH
Posted 3/23/2017 12:52 PM (#854632 - in reply to #854630)

I pop an Aleve or two befor the day starts. I'm in awful shape and I think it helps. I also stay hydrated as mentioned above. It helps fight off cramping.
ToTheWoods
Posted 3/23/2017 12:53 PM (#854633 - in reply to #854616)

I was way to hard on the body when I was younger and after a few more recent car accidents the only way for me to control the pain is regular therapy during the heavy play months and the occasional use of prescriptions. Another thing that I have used that really works for me on multpile parts of the body is called a Tenz machine. Not sure if it's the correct spelling. Basically it runs an electrical current through two electrodes. I use on alot and with heat it really work on the back,shoulders,neck,legs, anywhere really.
mnmusky
Posted 3/23/2017 12:58 PM (#854635 - in reply to #854616)

I hear trolling helps.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 3/23/2017 1:03 PM (#854637 - in reply to #854616)

Well, I wouldn't have t change reels really. Just the casting arm. Imagine thumbing the spool while launching a pounder. Putting that much pressure on the thumb is taking a toll.

AR, my menstrual cramps are under control...thank you.

I'm thinking I may have to go in for it eventually, but mainly I'm wondering about stretches and if anyone else has the issue I'm having an if they have fixed it.

I guess one way is to not throw the big baits...but that ain't happening.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 3/23/2017 1:14 PM (#854642 - in reply to #854616)

I had to cancel my trip to Kinkaid today, so I was a bit sarcastic there Kirby. I've dealt with knee issues for 30 years, but what I have learned is braces may help reduce strain, but they do not prevent injury. Especially repetitive use injury. Best to strengthen the body parts, stretch before and after, and as noted, stay hydrated. See a physical therapist soon. Preferably one with a chiropractor in the clinic. Hand strengthening, a thick rubber band around the fingers tight and expand fingers and also a stress ball. Do while driving. Good luck with the other body parts.
Smell_Esox
Posted 3/23/2017 1:22 PM (#854643 - in reply to #854616)
Subject: RE: Muskie Aches and Pains

Cut back on the big baits. Maybe throw them during prime times only or when you know a nice fish is in the area. Other baits will catch fish. Small is your friend.
Top H2O
Posted 3/23/2017 1:31 PM (#854646 - in reply to #854637)

I was thinking Midol and a few cocktails.
Lots of water does help. I also am a switch hitter/caster and I know that helps.
Seriously, Living/playing with pain is just the way it is.. Sometimes.
I also thumb the spool, but if it is adjusted a little bit tighter than with lighter baits your thumb will thank you.
Hey... You're a Pro and only in your 30's Buck up and quit whining.
Sheesh....
North of 8
Posted 3/23/2017 1:46 PM (#854650 - in reply to #854616)

Have you seen a doctor? If you have a problem with a tendon, it will take months to heal. Before you can fix it, really need to know the source of the problem. I injured a tendon in my forearm a few years ago and mentioned it when I saw the doc for my annual check up. He checked me over and suggested a neoprene brace and patience. Took about 4 months for it to heal.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 3/23/2017 1:47 PM (#854651 - in reply to #854646)

Top H2O - 3/23/2017 1:31 PM

I was thinking Midol and a few cocktails.
Lots of water does help. I also am a switch hitter/caster and I know that helps.
Seriously, Living/playing with pain is just the way it is.. Sometimes.
I also thumb the spool, but if it is adjusted a little bit tighter than with lighter baits your thumb will thank you.
Hey... You're a Pro and only in your 30's Buck up and quit whining.
Sheesh....

Haha! You guys are mean!

Never mind I'll just quit whining!

Tightening up the reel is a good tip. Thanks
Walleyedoctor
Posted 3/23/2017 2:03 PM (#854653 - in reply to #854616)

I switched completely to the opposite hand due to tendinitis a few years back. Took about one hour to learn. Tendinitis is gone and now I switch ever hour. It has become so natural either way now that when I boat a fish I can't remember which hand I was using. Then again maybe I'm just getting old enough to not remember...
I figure that switching might extend my casting years due to less one sided wear and tear. My goal is to be casting at 80, that's 20 plus years yet.
Nershi
Posted 3/23/2017 2:24 PM (#854654 - in reply to #854616)

Thumb stretches? There aren't too many ways one can stretch a thumb.

I adjust spool brakes so that my thumb doesn't need to thumb the spool unless I can hear it start to backlash which is pretty rare when casting correctly.

I got tendinitis a few years ago when the bite for the first month of the season was twitching cranks aggressively. People who don't understand muskie fishing usually laugh when I tell them I got it from fishing.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 3/23/2017 2:35 PM (#854656 - in reply to #854616)

Yeah I want to switch arms and fiddled with it a little last year. Might be possible!
25homes
Posted 3/23/2017 2:42 PM (#854660 - in reply to #854616)

yea I would def try and strengthen the area and do exercises....rubber bands stress balls even small weight tied to string and raise and lower controlled with the thumb I think these things will make huge diff
Nershi
Posted 3/23/2017 3:09 PM (#854664 - in reply to #854616)

'Do you lift bro?'

'Yea I've been working on my thumbs this week.'
Reelwise
Posted 3/23/2017 3:20 PM (#854667 - in reply to #854618)

muskidiem - 3/23/2017 12:48 PM Do you wear a neoprene hand brace? VanRemortal spoke at WI Muskellunge(yeah I typed the whole word)Expo and encouraged one for the fatigue factor. I don't fish enough to need one but saw them for about $8. This doesn't relieve what you currently have. I'd try to gleen some free advice from a physical therapist.

+ 1 Point.

:)
johnsonaaro2
Posted 3/23/2017 3:52 PM (#854671 - in reply to #854616)

even golfers have to listen to their body if they want to do it at a high level for a long time...
being able to feel the difference between muscular aches and pains vs the start of an injury, can mean taking it easy for couple weeks vs continuing to push it hard and getting a surgery and missing half a season.
I'll wear the "sissy" flag with pride if it means being able to cast for muskies longer when i get older, just sayin!
Fish4muskie
Posted 3/23/2017 3:53 PM (#854672 - in reply to #854616)

When I switch hands I call it the stranger

I've never had pain in the thumb area but have had it in wrist,forearm,elbow,shoulder,etc and ended up finding out I had a vertebra issue causing some of the issues(tendinitis was the other). If you're still having pain from a few months ago I'd check with a doctor(medical professional).
Fishysam
Posted 3/23/2017 6:32 PM (#854687 - in reply to #854616)

Braces help only if you stop what has irritated it. They actually make you weaker making the injury more persistent. If you find a good chiropractor they can help you out. I seriously get toes, foot bones, ankles, all the way up every bone to my last knuckle on my fingers. When jerk bait fishing bass I get a pain like your saying, it's forearm bones and wrist out of alignment. In addition to tendons being inflamed, chyro can teach you stretches for your individual issue. A good one will understand the mechanics of bone, tendons, muscles and nerves. Working for a real solution.
esoxaddict
Posted 3/23/2017 6:51 PM (#854690 - in reply to #854616)

I used to laugh at guys with their braces and their advil... I don't remember who it was but they said "you're what, 35? Wait ten years!!"

Yep. That was about when things started to go South...
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 3/23/2017 7:13 PM (#854694 - in reply to #854616)

Stop throwing Pounders and "burning" 10's you silly kid!
bturg
Posted 3/23/2017 9:25 PM (#854707 - in reply to #854616)

Throwing overhead loads the thumb. Using more of a sidearm motion puts the load more towards the index finger as you load the rod which is when the stress happens.
Muskydanno621
Posted 3/24/2017 7:30 AM (#854742 - in reply to #854707)

A Good chiropractor is worth their weight in gold even for that kind of stuff. You would be amazed how certain parts of your anatomy that hurt are actually caused by some misalignment in a completely different area. I have one pretty wrenched shoulder from a lifetime of Bench Presses and bad tendonitis in my right elbow. Went to my Bone cracker and he actually showed me the tendonitis was a result of a problem with my shoulder pain running down to my elbow not my elbow. Started doing the shoulder stretches he gave me and i will be #*^@ed if it hasn't relieved a lot of the pain. Long story short is you may be surprised on what may be needed to actually alleviate an issue.
tyler k
Posted 3/26/2017 11:17 AM (#854970 - in reply to #854616)

Strengthening your grip is a good idea. Don't use the v shaped springs though, they are more likely to worsen the problem. Instead get a stress ball or ring. There are a variety of lifts that build grip strength (deadlifts, pull-ups/chin-ups, Pendlay rows, heavy dumbbell rows, farmer's walk). I'd recommend just doing some wrist curls and extensions, that tendon goes back into your wrist so flexing it should help stretch it out. Also look into some of the carpal tunnel stretches for your hands.
leech lake strain
Posted 3/26/2017 9:47 PM (#855029 - in reply to #854616)

smoke a few cigs while out there.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)