Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Massive Lake Trout

Message Subject: Massive Lake Trout
Larry Ramsell
Posted 3/21/2017 4:25 PM (#854369)
Subject: Massive Lake Trout

Check this out! Might be a World Record muskie out there too (or not)!:

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/03/20/83-pound-lake-trout-would...
ToddM
Posted 3/21/2017 7:17 PM (#854390 - in reply to #854369)
Subject: Re: Massive Lake Trout

Awesome fish. Don't read the comment section unless you enjoy stupidity.
VMS
Posted 3/22/2017 9:12 AM (#854450 - in reply to #854369)

Todd,

I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here on this one...

It looks as though some have an argument about the lake trout and if they were introduced into areas not completed by a DNR of some sort (like Yellowstone lake in the national park), they don't belong there and from what I could gather through a few quick web searches is upsetting the balance of the fishery...

So...in some instances, the catch and keep mentality is there for a reason. I think a person could argue it would not be much different than the introduction of Asian Carp to our river systems that are now causing issues with other species...

I don't believe this is the same type of situation we run into with stocking muskies. If I am not mistaken, muskie stocking has been done using scientific research and completed though departments of natural resources in conjunction with clubs, etc....approved first, before introduction.

Not so sure that the comments on that website should be considered stupid...different situation based upon location...

Steve

Edited by VMS 3/22/2017 9:13 AM
Nershi
Posted 3/22/2017 10:58 AM (#854456 - in reply to #854450)

VMS - 3/22/2017 9:12 AM

Not so sure that the comments on that website should be considered stupid...different situation based upon location...

Steve

Maybe not stupid but certainly ignorant.

That is an amazing fish. Pretty cool to see the guide talk highly of the tribe. Getting up to chase those fish would be a bucket list trip for sure.
ToddM
Posted 3/22/2017 1:34 PM (#854479 - in reply to #854369)

I wasn't even considering the catch and keep as much as i was the people commenting seemed to have no idea where this fish was caught and that they are there naturally and comparing them to stocked lakes.
Tommis
Posted 3/22/2017 1:59 PM (#854483 - in reply to #854369)

Agree w/ Todd. If what you're situation is does not line up with the situation pictured, why bring it up?! It causes confusion and has a ripple effect from people being misled. Perfect example is here in PA we have bowfin which were endangered. Well someone got the idea that they were invasive and I see plenty of uneducated people killing this fish when caught because of ignorant comments being believed and then carried out where it does not apply. Most of these people have to claim they kill all the crappie too which shows me why they choose to be "mislead". It's sad but I digress...
VMS
Posted 3/22/2017 2:14 PM (#854485 - in reply to #854479)

ToddM - 3/22/2017 1:34 PM

I wasn't even considering the catch and keep as much as i was the people commenting seemed to have no idea where this fish was caught and that they are there naturally and comparing them to stocked lakes.

I'll give you that one... I think we are looking at it the same way. It's all through the lens of the person commenting...

Tommis
Posted 3/22/2017 3:21 PM (#854493 - in reply to #854485)

VMS - 3/22/2017 3:14 PM

ToddM - 3/22/2017 1:34 PM

I'll give you that one... I think we are looking at it the same way. It's all through the lens of the person commenting...

You sound like my principles of management professor last night when we were going over forms of communication haha neat! Also true!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)