Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: If people could think, there would be evidence to prove it.
- (Added by: ESOX Maniac)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Envirotex lite problem

Message Subject: Envirotex lite problem
Codhunter
Posted 3/16/2017 3:48 AM (#853552)
Subject: Envirotex lite problem

Hi guys I'm new to lure making but I have a question for the pros I'm having trouble with my clear coating the finish is not even with evirotex lite seems to be not fully covering the lure in spots no matter how thick I put it on its patchy looking in the light with diverts or craters In spots not the same thickness all the way round I mix the the ETEX spot on to the mm and mix extremely well for 4min wipe the lure down with metho then cover with brush then hang on my dryer that's turning over night lures are dry next day but patchy any help would be greatly appreciated I might be putting it on too thick ?
jdsplasher
Posted 3/16/2017 5:40 AM (#853554 - in reply to #853552)
Subject: RE: Envirotex lite problem

Very rare that I get the valleys. I mix for at least 6-7 minutes. Scrape the sides of the cup real good while mixing. Also: I like a slightly quicker set up time, so I do less baits, and do a quick 6-7 seconds in the microwave before applying.

JD

phishmasta
Posted 3/16/2017 7:09 AM (#853558 - in reply to #853552)
Subject: Re: Envirotex lite problem

It sounds like youre putting it on too thick. Make sure you brush it out really well.
h2os2t
Posted 3/19/2017 9:32 PM (#854106 - in reply to #853558)

The brand of paint and type can make a difference. Paint with a silicone content will make it do that. Had it happen and talked to the right tech guy used to do paint and he told me some paints have silicone. Do first coat thin and second usually takes care of it. Another way is to cover it with some type of clear, I use waterbased transparent base from createx which helps but not completely sometimes.

Edited by h2os2t 3/19/2017 9:36 PM
esoxriebe
Posted 3/20/2017 7:17 PM (#854219 - in reply to #853552)

I would bet you have a contaminant in your shop silicone can become airborne. A friend of mine was having the same problem in his wood shop where he was making baits for fun and I told him to go try to finish them in his basement of his house which is a separate building and the problem was solved. Turns out his wood burner exhaust pipe was sealed with a high temp silicone and when he was heating the shop it would become airborne and make the epoxy fish eye and separate. Try doing everything the same somewhere else and see what happens.
huntandfishwv
Posted 3/21/2017 8:12 AM (#854288 - in reply to #854219)

I have used envirotex lite and hated it because I couldn't get good results until I took a few tips and used them and it's been great every since. I measure with old medicine syringes to the exact cc amount. I keep my envirotex inside near heat register from hvac and I mix for 2-3 minutes the heat the mixed epoxy for 7 seconds in the microwave then stir another minute or two then start applying to my baits. I also put barriers around my turner with a 75w bulb under the turner to keep it hot. And seems it cures to the touch in no time and in 12-24hr I can fish it I had to learn to like it I have ton of it and wasn't going to buy more
Dozer09
Posted 4/3/2017 10:08 PM (#855890 - in reply to #853552)

I had similar issues when coating over a holographic tape I used would even out on second and third coats. I also had bad hook rash issues with envirotex and it takes forever. So I started mixing equal parts of envirotex and Devon 2 ton and so far the results are impressive it seems to be the coating in between the two I was searching for.
spoonpluggergino
Posted 4/13/2017 4:19 AM (#856928 - in reply to #853552)

when using enviro-tex after bait is painted make sure you are wearing latex gloves, do not touch the bait with bare hands the oil on your finger tips will cause fish eyes and I usually let the paint dry over night, and another major problem do not use syringes used for baby formulas do to silicone problem, buy syringes made to handle e-tex you can buy them from several places, I get mine from Jens Net Craft or Mud Hole, Another thing that I do is to put a few drops of denatured alcohol to the mix of e-tex. another thing that you can do is to switch to Devcon 2 ton epoxy, you need to thin out with denatured alcohol and much easier system and a harder finish . Hopefully this helps, it drove me nuts for a while
Gino
Stranger2bluewater
Posted 4/14/2017 10:30 AM (#857045 - in reply to #853552)

The mixing container is important too. You definitely don't want to use anything that is waxed. I think the perfect mixing cup is flat on the sides--no ridges. The ridges keep you from getting a good mix.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)