Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Louie Spray... robbed of record.

Message Subject: Louie Spray... robbed of record.
short STRIKE
Posted 3/3/2017 9:56 AM (#852005 - in reply to #852003)
Subject: Re: Louie Spray... robbed of record.

happy hooker - 3/3/2017 9:48 AM

Has anybody tried the new "Grand Mac" at McDonald's

Rumor has it Mr. Spray has.... the way i heard it though, is he received the mac Jr. but led everyone to believe it was the "Grand Mac"!

Edited by short STRIKE 3/3/2017 9:57 AM
hairy lures
Posted 3/3/2017 9:58 AM (#852006 - in reply to #851816)
Subject: RE: Louie Spray... robbed of record.

In my humble opinion, Louie was a charlatan of the first order, but I continue to question why so many otherwise honorable, well-regarded and God-fearing citizens of Hayward would sign a document stating that Louie's fish was the weight and length stated on the document, if it wasn't. Personally, and I know what everyone will think of this, I believe that the reason Louie's fish was scrutinized so much is that no fisherman today is able to locate and then catch a musky of those proportions, so obviously it was all a lie. Sorry guys, but those giants are still out there....you just gotta BELIEVE!
Slamr
Posted 3/3/2017 10:04 AM (#852008 - in reply to #852006)

hairy lures - 3/3/2017 9:58 AM

In my humble opinion, Louie was a charlatan of the first order, but I continue to question why so many otherwise honorable, well-regarded and God-fearing citizens of Hayward would sign a document stating that Louie's fish was the weight and length stated on the document, if it wasn't. Personally, and I know what everyone will think of this, I believe that the reason Louie's fish was scrutinized so much is that no fisherman today is able to locate and then catch a musky of those proportions, so obviously it was all a lie. Sorry guys, but those giants are still out there....you just gotta BELIEVE!

Or because the fish is clearly not that big?
ToddM
Posted 3/3/2017 10:15 AM (#852009 - in reply to #852008)

Hairy, its been 66 years since a fish of that "size" has been caught in that area. 66 years since louie's record and nothing remotely close has been caught in that area to any of the 4 records. Nothing.

The grand mac isnt as big as one might think. I heard a rumor they will be changing its name to the louie burger.

Edited by ToddM 3/3/2017 10:16 AM
happy hooker
Posted 3/3/2017 10:16 AM (#852010 - in reply to #852008)

You can't hide big,,but that's not always accurate,,case in point remember the 2007 camaro Z28 that could metamorphosis into a three story mechanized monster in the movie 'transformers'
Moltisanti
Posted 3/3/2017 10:35 AM (#852013 - in reply to #851816)

According to the dude who works the evening shift at the local bait shop, he's seen several over 60" in Polk County and had one follow his beetle spin in that was over 70" on Cedar Lake. He works in a bait shop, so he must know his stuff. Guys, while you're in here wondering if it's real, he's out there proving it. Step your game up.
muskidiem
Posted 3/3/2017 10:53 AM (#852016 - in reply to #851816)

prespring is the best time for stories. And it is always fun to see that after we all start fishing, only a few ever post any big fish, and most of us just shut up. there once was an 80 incher in Dubay, and last year there was a monster never seen in Boom, and on and on.
fish4teeth
Posted 3/3/2017 10:57 AM (#852017 - in reply to #851816)

I've heard Pewaukee Lake people say they've seen the head on one side of their pier and the tail on the other. I don't know how they can walk on a 16 ft 2"x12" with a martini in each hand.
sworrall
Posted 3/3/2017 11:22 AM (#852020 - in reply to #852016)

muskidiem - 3/3/2017 10:53 AM

prespring is the best time for stories. And it is always fun to see that after we all start fishing, only a few ever post any big fish, and most of us just shut up. there once was an 80 incher in Dubay, and last year there was a monster never seen in Boom, and on and on.

I'd argue that. we have literally thousands of big muskie images onsite. The monster in boom has been sighted. Some think it was a stump.
sworrall
Posted 3/3/2017 11:24 AM (#852021 - in reply to #852006)

There's been many fish caught bigger than Louie's.
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/3/2017 1:01 PM (#852031 - in reply to #852006)

hairy lures - 3/3/2017 9:58 AM In my humble opinion, Louie was a charlatan of the first order, but I continue to question why so many otherwise honorable, well-regarded and God-fearing citizens of Hayward would sign a document stating that Louie's fish was the weight and length stated on the document, if it wasn't. Personally, and I know what everyone will think of this, I believe that the reason Louie's fish was scrutinized so much is that no fisherman today is able to locate and then catch a musky of those proportions, so obviously it was all a lie. Sorry guys, but those giants are still out there....you just gotta BELIEVE!

I could write a book with the information I've compiled on how Louie was able to pull off turning 30lb muskies (that he never even caught) into 60 -70 records that he peddled for prestige and profit… while others are still carrying on the fraudulent tradition.  It's a well-known fact that Louis was in the business of buying big muskies, and with the help of an esteemed local taxidermist they turned them into the Frankenstein giants that the uneducated still believe in today.

Jack, do you think the mount is a fair representation of the 1939 record fish?

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(1939MountFresh.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1939MountFresh.jpg (21KB - 461 downloads)
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/3/2017 1:08 PM (#852033 - in reply to #852031)

The same taxidermist that did the terrible work on the 1939 fish was responsible for the enhancements to Cal Johnson's 67lb IGFA record.

Edited by Jerry Newman 3/3/2017 1:13 PM

(Spray letter about bad mount.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Spray letter about bad mount.JPG (78KB - 406 downloads)
dfkiii
Posted 3/3/2017 8:17 PM (#852079 - in reply to #851816)

He must have secured a better taxidermist for this one:

(SprayMusky.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SprayMusky.jpg (68KB - 393 downloads)
Jeff78
Posted 3/3/2017 8:31 PM (#852080 - in reply to #852079)

dfkiii - 3/3/2017 8:17 PM

What is the story on that mount? I think I've seen that in the Moccasin Bar.
dfkiii
Posted 3/3/2017 8:37 PM (#852082 - in reply to #852080)

Jeff78 - 3/3/2017 8:31 PM

dfkiii - 3/3/2017 8:17 PM

What is the story on that mount? I think I've seen that in the Moccasin Bar.

Cal Johnson's is in the Moccasin Bar. I believe the one above was lost to fire when Louie's bar went up in flames.
KenK
Posted 3/3/2017 9:12 PM (#852087 - in reply to #851816)

Yes, Louie's is toast. Cal's mount, according to Dettloff suffers from pelvic fin drift.
Posted 3/3/2017 9:14 PM (#852088 - in reply to #852082)

What giant fish is displayed at Dun Rovin Lodge?
Larry Ramsell
Posted 3/3/2017 10:40 PM (#852099 - in reply to #851816)

KenK: you and I have always gotten a kick out of "pelvic fin drift"! What Dettloff neglected to consider with his "drift" scenario was if the back paired fins did "drift forward" during the mounting process, then where did all the skin behind those fins to the tail come from? Can't have it both ways!!!

0723: The mount at Dun Rovin is the Malo fish which was taken illegally too.
tackleaddict
Posted 3/4/2017 7:24 AM (#852112 - in reply to #851878)

muskyroller - 3/2/2017 3:04 PM

Now every time I see a post from the Cutler Elite Thinker I'll see this...
"You have chosen to ignore this poster"

Thank God that the "ignore user" is an option on this site. I had ol' reelwise on there and took him off. Looks like he's back on the ignore list! Now if only everyone would ignore him, he'd actually shut up? Probably not, but I can dream.

Reelwise threads are some of my favorite threads. Being relatively new to musky fishing and being from michigan, I didn't know anything Spray or the record until these threads popped up yesterday. Thanks for the history lesson gents!

My opinion is that it is impossible he caught that fish because the TranX HG did not come out until 2012. You could never reel double 10's fast enough to catch a fish that big without an HG
Posted 3/4/2017 7:26 AM (#852114 - in reply to #852099)

Yes I thought that was the Malo fish but wasn't sure thank you for clearing that up.What was the story with that fish,many in Hayward always thought that fish should have the record.Or was it another fake too.

Edited by 0723 3/4/2017 7:29 AM
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/4/2017 1:35 PM (#852148 - in reply to #852079)

dfkiii - 3/3/2017 8:17 PM He must have secured a better taxidermist for this one:

Yep, Louie was forced to use a different taxidermist on the 1949 record fish, and it's probably the best fake mount of them all.  However, you can still see where the stretched skin is beginning to pucker up in the middle (below) after being on display for a while (the picture you have is from when he was picking it up). The reason Louie had to use a different taxidermist on the last one was because the local taxidermist refused to risk his reputation again having just completed the Cal Johnson fake mount a couple months before… too many probing questions were already being asked.

Take a good look at the relative size of the 49 fish hanging in front of Louie, and then the mount that is kind of along side him. Everyone knows about the perspective of holding a fish closer to the camera so that it appears larger... why does the mount in your picture appear larger than the fish below?

I get a kick out of the claimed 31” girth when compared to his waist… how would Louie's pants fit on that fish? The back story behind Louie’s 3th World record is he had told Cal Johnson earlier that year how he had pulled off his first 2 fakes and Cal decided he wanted in on the action (and the new car and accolades that went with it!). This really peeed off Louie having been shot with his own bullet so to speak, so he publicly announced he was coming out of retirement to break Cal's world record by the end of the year.

What's the largest muskie you could put your hands on (by hook or crook) in just a few months in 1949 Hayward?  The real size of this fish and answer is about 35lbs and 53”… same as it is today.

This newspaper clipping is different than the common one we have all already seen, we would have really liked a good copy when we did the report!

Edited by Jerry Newman 3/4/2017 1:45 PM

(49 Spray newspaper (1).jpg)

(49 Spray newspaper (2).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 49 Spray newspaper (1).jpg (24KB - 400 downloads)
Attachments 49 Spray newspaper (2).jpg (39KB - 444 downloads)
dfkiii
Posted 3/4/2017 5:29 PM (#852171 - in reply to #852148)

Jerry Newman - 3/4/2017 1:35 PM
What's the largest muskie you could put your hands on (by hook or crook) in just a few months in 1949 Hayward?  The real size of this fish and answer is about 35lbs and 53”… same as it is today.

Yup, there are no bigger fish in WI. Maybe you should try fishing with Scott Kieper.
sworrall
Posted 3/4/2017 5:42 PM (#852172 - in reply to #851816)

Scott was fishing in Hayward in 1949? He has aged well.

dfkiii
Posted 3/4/2017 5:55 PM (#852175 - in reply to #851816)

Read carefully Steve. Jerry said 53" and 35 pounds are also as big as they get now.
raftman
Posted 3/4/2017 6:16 PM (#852178 - in reply to #852006)

This makes me think of my 22 month olds favorite movie Santa Paws. Only those filled with the Christmas spirit can hear that f&@$ing dog speak. I think the only people who can look at a photo of that fish and think 69lber r filled with the Hayward area tourism spirit.

It's on Netflix by the way if anyone wants to enjoy some Santa Paws.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 3/5/2017 12:04 PM (#852226 - in reply to #852006)

hairy lures - 3/3/2017 10:58 AM

No fisherman has since caught one, but it could be out there. It's a possibility, you have to BELIEVE!

Your theory also applies to Bigfoot, aliens, chupacabra, and the slenderman.

So your pretty much par for the course....

Edited by JakeStCroixSkis 3/5/2017 12:06 PM
sworrall
Posted 3/5/2017 12:06 PM (#852227 - in reply to #852175)

dfkiii - 3/4/2017 5:55 PM

Read carefully Steve. Jerry said 53" and 35 pounds are also as big as they get now.

Come on, quit nit picking.

And you said in Wisconsin.

This is interesting:
http://www.chippewaflowage.com/muskyhunt/

http://indiantrailresort.com/itrchart14.cfm

http://www.deerfootlodge.com/musky-chart.php?page=2&name=&date=

http://www.chippewaflowage.com/stories/these-are-the-good-old-days-...

And so on and on and on.
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/5/2017 6:00 PM (#852252 - in reply to #852175)

dfkiii - 3/4/2017 5:55 PM Read carefully Steve. Jerry said 53" and 35 pounds are also as big as they get now.

I never said that’s as big as they get and think you must have inadvertently glazed over the keywords in my statement like “about”, “Hayward”, and “months” in an attempt to prove your point.

I don't want to nitpick either but the statistics Steve provided certainly support my statement, and would guess that anyone reading this who fishes Hayward regularly (including Scott) would probably agree that an inland 53” would be fairly hard to come by in the short period of time that Louie had to work with.

On that note I think that if Hayward really wants to promote their muskie fishing, they should do so honestly and would be much better served promoting hard-working guys like Scott that really embody the essence of the sport, rather than a scoundrel like Louie.  

I agree that Scott is a great example of what's possible, but on the other hand you still have guy’s like John Dettloff who has fished the Chippewa Flowage his entire life without even catching a single 50” muskie… yet has the audacity to make an outlandish statement like this (from the link Steve provided). 

“The Chippewa Flowage is home to some of the biggest muskies in the musky world and holds the current all-tackle world record – a giant muskie, caught by Louie Spray, that tipped the scales at 69 ponds, 11 ounces and was 5 feet, 3 inches in length! Are there larger muskies than the current world record that still swim the fabled waters of the Big Chip’ Who knows – maybe you could be the next lucky angler’”

If you want to take issue with someone misrepresenting the areas muskie… maybe you should start with him?

Reelwise
Posted 3/5/2017 6:26 PM (#852258 - in reply to #851816)

Maybe Louie was tipped as to where these fish were? Or, he was just an amazing angler.
KenK
Posted 3/5/2017 6:29 PM (#852259 - in reply to #851816)

He was a liar, a thief, a rumrunner, but when it came to muskies, he played by the books!
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)