Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Night fishing?

Message Subject: Night fishing?
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/20/2017 5:32 PM (#850511 - in reply to #850488)
Subject: Re: Night fishing?

markymark - 2/20/2017 2:29 PM

What kind of spots would you fish at night? Do you prefer shallows with vegetation or do you avoid vegetation?

All the same spots as during the day. If it's really weedy you can always throw a spinnerbait. I throw in thick cabbage all the time and just keep my bait high or throw topwater.

Edited by Kirby Budrow 2/20/2017 5:33 PM
Rotorhead
Posted 2/22/2017 7:52 PM (#850757 - in reply to #850047)
Subject: RE: Night fishing?

Lots of very good advice already including boat speed at night, life vest, having a partner, lights, etc. One thing not mentioned is that your first time shouldn't be when you go on that trip. Do a few practice night runs on familiar water you know well. Start in the day and go past twilight to dark. You'll learn a lot about what you can and can't do at night, how to organize your boat, etc. You'll also learn about much of the advice given so far in this string. Try to do it with the partner you'll fish with later. Then, you'll be ready to enjoy your night experience on your trip and not trying to figure things out for the first time.

For me (in no particular order):
Clean up the boat of loose gear/baits and go with one or two poles max.
Wear vest.
Proper lighting - try to fish dark and turn on headlamp only when fish on (or partner head lamp on).
Use kill lanyard when underway.
Spare headlamp and batteries.
Put net and release tools in a predictable place.
Slow down baits and use topwaters (not walk the dog) and bucktails/spinner baits.
Don't be tempted to turn off boat lights or dim by putting a sock over your stern light. Your boat lights are not for you - they're to keep others from running into you.
Slow down transit speed and stay away from shore until almost home.
If you can, let someone know where you'll be and when you expect to be back.
If in cell range, bring your phone.
Think safety with everything you do. Better to come home empty handed than not at all.
tuffy1
Posted 2/23/2017 7:16 AM (#850783 - in reply to #850195)

Nershi - 2/17/2017 6:30 PM

I've always read that night fishing isn't productive early in the season when the water is still cold. Any truth to this? I've never tried it early. After reading these posts about slowing baits down not necessarily being important it made we wonder about this.

They'll bite just fine at night early season. We've caught them from opening day through the end of the season at night. Some really nice early season fish too.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/23/2017 8:01 AM (#850789 - in reply to #850783)

tuffy1 - 2/23/2017 7:16 AM

Nershi - 2/17/2017 6:30 PM

I've always read that night fishing isn't productive early in the season when the water is still cold. Any truth to this? I've never tried it early. After reading these posts about slowing baits down not necessarily being important it made we wonder about this.

They'll bite just fine at night early season. We've caught them from opening day through the end of the season at night. Some really nice early season fish too.

Where I am in Northern MN, there really isn't much of a night bite early in the season. I've tried it, but it takes a few weeks for it to kick in after opener. People do seem to get them trolling open water at night, but for some reason they don't seem to be active in the shallows after dark. Late June is when I start to hit it at night. Maybe others have more success than I do though.
tuffy1
Posted 2/23/2017 2:31 PM (#850846 - in reply to #850047)

That's funny you say open water. That's usually where we catch them at night early season. That or mid lake structure. Rarely on shoreline connected structure or bays early season for me.
Rotorhead
Posted 2/26/2017 11:25 AM (#851153 - in reply to #850047)
Subject: RE: Night fishing?

So far, only when ice fishing. Never during dark in the summer or fall.
travelingfisherman
Posted 2/27/2017 5:03 PM (#851335 - in reply to #850048)

Cloud7 - 2/16/2017 4:01 PM

Three of the biggest fish I've put in the boat came at night. Bigger profile lures, slower retrieve speeds, and fish big-fish prime spots.

-Husky Medussa
-Husky/Mag Hawg Wobbler
-Big Blades

-C7

Thank you for posting this.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)