Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Major and Minor feeding windows

Message Subject: Major and Minor feeding windows
ande
Posted 2/16/2017 6:11 PM (#850066 - in reply to #849755)
Subject: Re: Major and Minor feeding windows

Self fulfilling prophecies to a degree.

Major and minors have an effect though. Years ago I had a silly musky prediction system that I kind of quit using as it is not fool proof: 1pt = low light, 1pt = major/minor, 1 point =favorable wind, 1pt =thunder in the area, and 1pt= tornado activity nearby. But I got skunked on a few 5 point days and crushed them on a few 1 point days.......so there went that.
Abu7000
Posted 2/17/2017 5:22 PM (#850185 - in reply to #850043)

dickP - 2/16/2017 3:19 PM

"Ya, I'm with ToddM here, And I have a lot of data to back it up where I fish.
"I fish alot, basically the same # of days-same hours- same lakes each week- each year. I have kept decent logs for over 12 yrs and there is little if any difference in regard to these supposed better moon times. period. ..But that's just me!!
I know this; if you mostly fish around certain times- you will mostly have luck around those times. "

"I have yet to see anybody produce tangible evidence of majors and minors producing more or bigger fish. I still keep track of minors/majors/set/rise data and try to use it to my advantage, but honestly it's just another mental trick to keep me casting. "It's almost the major, better really pay attention and fish my best spots."

These for me.
Plan your trips around the moon,fish your best spots and really focus around the moon and,guess what?You catch fish.
Some would call that verifiable distortion.

Dick
Please explain your comment.
tolle141
Posted 2/17/2017 5:58 PM (#850190 - in reply to #849755)

I use weather underground. Has all the pertinent times.

Typically I use the hours outside of the majors/minors to locate as many fish as possible. Once the window appears, I run n gun all those fish I located.

We did that last July on a rough night and popped 2 in 10 minutes. The moon effect is real.
Matt DeVos
Posted 2/17/2017 10:51 PM (#850210 - in reply to #849755)

I'm certainly not going to argue with others who have seen success correlating with moon events. All I can say is that I pay attention to the same variables and I, personally, and my boat, haven't seen any kind of quantifiable advantage in my numbers/logs. In fact, at one point plotting numbers/big fish catches on LOTW against moon events, I could actually make an argument, based on math, that my odds of success DECREASED during the relevant moon time phases. Not saying that's actually the case, just saying that I could make the argument.

Again, I'm certain that other, better anglers have different experiences/perspectives. I'm just sharing my own experience.

Edited by Matt DeVos 2/17/2017 10:53 PM
horsehunter
Posted 2/18/2017 7:43 AM (#850226 - in reply to #849755)

If you look at enough tables you can probably find a window for any part of your day
Besides published best times which sometimes have a degree of correlation but usually different period lengths
Predawn
First light
Sun rise
Sun overhead
Dusk
Sunset
Last light
Full Dark
Moon rise
Moon overhead (directly)
Moon set
Moon Under (directly)
In a couple of articles Joe Boucher said fishing sucks when the moon was above the horizon which if you believe would eliminate half the daytime hours in any month.

Fish as hard as you can whenever you can and don't slack off because you think the time is wrong. There are definitely periods of increased feeding actively But I'm not smart enough to predict them I just want to be there. I have yet to catch a muskie carrying a copy of the solunar tables.
I DO HAVE A LOT OF FAITH IN READING CHICKEN ENTRAILS

Edited by horsehunter 2/18/2017 7:45 AM
Propster
Posted 2/18/2017 4:10 PM (#850280 - in reply to #849755)

Dick is saying he doesn't see much correlation where he fishes, and he fishes a lot, and I agree with him and the others that are saying the same thing.
Ebenezer
Posted 2/23/2017 5:44 PM (#850870 - in reply to #849755)
Subject: RE: Major and Minor feeding windows

Major feeding window - when I catch a fish.
Minor feeding window - when bud catches a fish.
esoxaddict
Posted 2/23/2017 7:55 PM (#850883 - in reply to #849755)

4 solar events each day combined with 4 lunar events each day, amplified by the proximity to full moon, new moon, and apogee... Great. Factor in seasonal progressions, and more importantly weather/frontal conditions...

90% of the fish live in 10% of the water...

Expecting your odds to increase during a major/minor requires you to be fishing in the right place, during favorable weather conditions, throwing the right lure and running it at the right speed at the right depth, and just the right time.

There's certainly merit in the solunar influence, but most of us don't fish nearly enough to take advantage of it in any meaningful way. My success is reflected in logs taken during a time in my life when I didn't have a job or any responsibilities in life and fished 4-5 days a week from the time the lakes thawed in the spring until they froze over in the fall.

BNelson
Posted 2/24/2017 9:31 AM (#850928 - in reply to #849755)

it's interesting to see guys that don't believe in it having some effect... but talk to a number of guides or guys that year after year catch lots of huge fish and I bet 98% believe in it... me, I do... as I have seen it work out in my favor too many times to scoff at it.. weather trumps all but we are out there at times looking for 1 bite that can make or break a day or trip... anything to up our chances even just a tiny bit imo is worth watching.... reminds me of a time on Mille Lacs back about 10 yrs ago... we had fished 2 hours with I think just one follow, boats were lined up on the north shore weedline, sure enough, moonset came and we got a 46, and we saw numerous other camera flashes going off within seconds/minutes of moonset...then...nothing.... those that don't believe it works...ok fine, more for those of us who do!

Edited by BNelson 2/24/2017 9:33 AM
RunNGun
Posted 2/24/2017 10:15 AM (#850931 - in reply to #850928)

I agree, very interesting to hear guys not believing in it. My mindset flipped 100% a few years ago when I kept track of nearly every fish I caught. At the end of the year, I compared each boated fish to the solunar times, and something like 80% fell w/in one of these windows. That was a HUGE eye-opener for me.
tkuntz
Posted 2/24/2017 10:48 AM (#850938 - in reply to #849755)

Lots of guys "believe" in it, but none offer data to back up their beliefs. Apply the scientific method and statistical analysis and a lot of beliefs start to look like fairy tales.
RunNGun
Posted 2/24/2017 11:17 AM (#850943 - in reply to #850938)

Right - fish in the net consistently during these periods is enough data for me.
btfish
Posted 2/25/2017 6:42 AM (#851021 - in reply to #850943)

IMO this has gotten into peoples head that this is the only time to fish and that is when people are fishing more now. I have no faith in it at all and find less people during the off moon periods and better fishing.
ToothyCritter
Posted 5/30/2019 4:17 PM (#940110 - in reply to #851021)

Is there an app I can get to track this stuff?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)