Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Major and Minor feeding windows

Message Subject: Major and Minor feeding windows
Pepper
Posted 2/14/2017 3:19 PM (#849755)
Subject: Major and Minor feeding windows

How do you figure out the major and minor feeding windows without using an app on your phone or other device if you know SR, SS, MR &MS times?
BNelson
Posted 2/14/2017 3:24 PM (#849756 - in reply to #849755)
Subject: Re: Major and Minor feeding windows

majors are the hour before and after moon overhead and underfoot... minors are the 30 min on each side of the MR/MS.
to figure out moon overhead and underfoot you just split the difference from MS/MR...
Propster
Posted 2/14/2017 3:39 PM (#849759 - in reply to #849755)

It's interesting that the Solunar tables put out by John Alden Knight, who was the originator of the concept as far as I know, do not comport to moon overhead or underfoot. They are more random times throughout the day and are some sort of compilation of sun, moon and tides if I recall. Lots of guys, including many of the guides, go by the book more than overhead or underfoot.
BNelson
Posted 2/14/2017 3:42 PM (#849760 - in reply to #849759)

I found that to be odd too..but if you read his book, he says that the majors are set to overhead and underfoot... imo some tables that don't follow that are incorrect.

Edited by BNelson 2/14/2017 3:43 PM
Pepper
Posted 2/14/2017 3:43 PM (#849761 - in reply to #849755)

Thanks
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/14/2017 3:55 PM (#849764 - in reply to #849755)

Also, the moon is not on a 24 hour schedule like the sun. I believe it's almost 24 hours and 50 minutes between rise and sets. So do your figuring based on that. Correct me if I'm wrong. I use an app so I don't think about it much.
BNelson
Posted 2/14/2017 3:58 PM (#849765 - in reply to #849764)

depends where you are located as to how much time between rise and set....it varies each day/month as well.. it's not the same every day how long it is up or down
T.Carlson
Posted 2/14/2017 4:04 PM (#849766 - in reply to #849759)

Propster - 2/14/2017 3:39 PM

It's interesting that the Solunar tables put out by John Alden Knight, who was the originator of the concept as far as I know, do not comport to moon overhead or underfoot. They are more random times throughout the day and are some sort of compilation of sun, moon and tides if I recall. Lots of guys, including many of the guides, go by the book more than overhead or underfoot.

My catch data seems to correlate more with the John Alden Knight times, rather than solely going off the moon rise/set/overhead/underfoot times... could be a coincidence.
I had an APP a while back that matched the John Alden Knight times, but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone know if it still exists?
Muskie Kid
Posted 2/14/2017 5:01 PM (#849777 - in reply to #849766)

T.Carlson - 2/14/2017 4:04 PM

Propster - 2/14/2017 3:39 PM

My catch data seems to correlate more with the John Alden Knight times, rather than solely going off the moon rise/set/overhead/underfoot times... could be a coincidence.
I had an APP a while back that matched the John Alden Knight times, but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone know if it still exists?

I believe the ISolunar app follows it
tackleaddict
Posted 2/15/2017 7:04 AM (#849811 - in reply to #849755)

Last year I finally started paying attention to it. I don't know why I always was a skeptic, it makes perfect sense. I definitely noticed a HEAVY correlation with musky encounters on Lake St Clair around moon rise. Undeniable. My wife is a nurse in a maximum security prison with a criminally insane ward and I asked her to pay attention to the solunar charts when they have crazy behavior issues (fights, guys harming themselves, attacks on guards, ect), and she says theres a definite correlation, and they cant even see the moon typically. The biggest one she noticed though was full moon directly overhead. Virtually every time there is full moon directly overhead they end up with a "lockdown" for some reason or another, which typically only happens a couple times a month. Its really fascinating if your a geek like me.
Zib
Posted 2/15/2017 7:28 AM (#849813 - in reply to #849811)

tackleaddict - 2/15/2017 8:04 AM Last year I finally started paying attention to it. I don't know why I always was a skeptic, it makes perfect sense. I definitely noticed a HEAVY correlation with musky encounters on Lake St Clair around moon rise. Undeniable.

95% of the fish I catch on LSC are outside of the major & minors with the other 5% mostly around moon set. I catch most of my fish within the 1st hour to hour & a 1/2 of a major weather front moving in or moving out. Earlier in the season I see more activity when a weather front is moving in & later in the season I see more activity when the weather front is moving out. I think the current going through LSC throws out the moon phase theory on most days.

tackleaddict
Posted 2/15/2017 7:56 AM (#849817 - in reply to #849755)

We had 3 days out in a row last fall, fishing around the Spillway where we spent 5 hours or so leading up to moonrise and saw nothing, then had action around the rise. It also happened to me and a guy from this sight a few weeks earlier at those secret gravel piles. The trip that started me paying attention was August, 2015 with Mastical at the dumping grounds. We fished the early morning with no action for a few hours, all of a sudden he caught a 49, then we had hits and follows from other smaller fish for a frenzy of maybe 30-40 minutes. After it died off one of us noticed that the moon was just up over the horizon. I believe in moon-rise on LSC for sure after watching it last year. You are right though, the weather fronts are huge too. What kind of moon correlations do you see on your sturgeon fishing?

Edited by tackleaddict 2/15/2017 7:57 AM
Fish4muskie
Posted 2/15/2017 8:07 AM (#849819 - in reply to #849755)

Weather fronts trumps moon phase. I always try to plan my trips around moon phases though. There is a correlation (in my limited opinion). I will say I have had more success on new moons than on full moons. But I rarely fish after dark.
Brad P
Posted 2/15/2017 8:23 AM (#849822 - in reply to #849819)

Weather > Moon that is a certainty. I've experienced too many "prime" moon days end up as a total bust due to poor weather conditions.

The moon shouldn't be dismissed though. I've had many week long fishing trips where the bite has been consistent around a moon event. One thing that I've noticed is that it also can involve a time of day. Like for example, it is an AM bite around Moon Under foot for several days. The bite might be 9AM, 10AM, 11AM over three days, but always in the AM and around the Major. Other times it might 9AM, 10AM, 11AM around the Minor. Can be any time of the day, just giving an example.

I can't explain why this is the case, but I've had it happen too many times to discount it.

Photo Periods can also make a difference. I'm sure most on here have had fish go during sunup/sundown/first dark.

To me the real key in all of this is fishing consistently enough to identify the window and then start capitalizing on it while it is active.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/15/2017 8:24 AM (#849824 - in reply to #849819)

I think it's pretty obvious that the moon has a major influence on fish feeding activity. Most of us can agree on that. And it's not the only thing that makes them bite, but I really think that most of my bites come within a major or a minor. As far as current having an influence, you're probably right. I don't fish rivers very often so I just don't know.

Brad P - I agree on the time of day thing as well. Last fall a lot of my action came in late afternoon. Yes, there would be a moon influence at that time, but no action during moon times at other times of the day. The sun would just be getting low and light would change. The water color looked different and the fish would bite.

Edited by Kirby Budrow 2/15/2017 8:28 AM
BNelson
Posted 2/15/2017 9:24 AM (#849838 - in reply to #849755)

read his book "Moon up, Moon down"...it's an easy read and sheds some light on the moon and activity... as noted by others, weather trumps moon but as musky fishermen, where 1 hit can make or break a day, or trip, anything we can do to increase the odds of getting a hit, we should pay attention...the moon is just one of those things that will put more (and bigger) fish in your boat if you pay attention....
I can't even count how many big fish have hit right on the minute of a set/rise, underfoot/overhead type thing... it's eery. and happened too many times to discount as coincedence...

Edited by BNelson 2/15/2017 9:53 AM
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 2/15/2017 11:58 PM (#849953 - in reply to #849811)

tackleaddict - 2/15/2017 7:04 AM

Last year I finally started paying attention to it. I don't know why I always was a skeptic, it makes perfect sense. I definitely noticed a HEAVY correlation with musky encounters on Lake St Clair around moon rise. Undeniable. My wife is a nurse in a maximum security prison with a criminally insane ward and I asked her to pay attention to the solunar charts when they have crazy behavior issues (fights, guys harming themselves, attacks on guards, ect), and she says theres a definite correlation, and they cant even see the moon typically. The biggest one she noticed though was full moon directly overhead. Virtually every time there is full moon directly overhead they end up with a "lockdown" for some reason or another, which typically only happens a couple times a month. Its really fascinating if your a geek like me.

Are you inferring there's a strong positive correlation between the full moon and musky fishermen being crazy?
Junkman
Posted 2/16/2017 7:14 AM (#849958 - in reply to #849755)

My first winter down South has made me question a lot of things, but the "tides" are by far the most curious thing for one who never fished around tides before. Simply put, the tides go in and out largely as an effect of the moon. You just need to have a large enough body of water (say, the ocean) and you have tides. The obvious mental leap for me, is that whatever the moon (sun too) can do to something the size of the ocean, the same effects are in place for the lakes I fish all summer, even though the lakes are not big enough to have a tide created. Sooner or later (maybe in my old age) somebody is going to figure out why this is such a big deal at times and no visible effect at other times. My suspicion is that the math answer can be found somewhere between the data on a solunar table and the tide charts with appropriate adjusting for the actual latitude and longitude where you are fishing. When that happens, I'll be doing all my fishing in the 5-10 minutes each day when Tom Gelb says a musky will hit a beer can with treble hooks. All that extra time off will yield plenty of empty beer cans too!
T3clay
Posted 2/16/2017 8:04 AM (#849965 - in reply to #849755)

Although, with the ocean tide creates current, which triggers fish to feed/ creates ambush areas for the fish. Not disagreeing with you at all, just adding a little input.
Mdamp104
Posted 2/16/2017 8:43 AM (#849970 - in reply to #849755)

Fishing and Hunting times pro is the app I swear by.
ice queen
Posted 2/16/2017 12:22 PM (#850014 - in reply to #849755)
Subject: RE: Major and Minor feeding windows

we use the free app called LUNA SOLARIA it has the rise, set, transit(overhead), and subtransit (underfoot). also has the solar positions and the age when the new/full moons are.
BNelson
Posted 2/16/2017 12:42 PM (#850015 - in reply to #850014)

I use this one:
www.solunar-apps.com
ToddM
Posted 2/16/2017 1:39 PM (#850022 - in reply to #849755)

I pay attention to it and notice more often than not, it makes no difference. Every once in awhile it is spot on, most of the time it is a bust even in prime weather conditions and times. I will take weather and last light over the moon anytime.

Moon and ocean tide, different story.
Rudedog
Posted 2/16/2017 1:59 PM (#850025 - in reply to #850022)

Ya, I'm with ToddM here, And I have a lot of data to back it up where I fish.
I fish alot, basically the same # of days-same hours- same lakes each week- each year. I have kept decent logs for over 12 yrs and there is little if any difference in regard to these supposed better moon times. period. ..But that's just me!!
I know this; if you mostly fish around certain times- you will mostly have luck around those times.

Edited by Rudedog 2/16/2017 2:01 PM
Zib
Posted 2/16/2017 2:07 PM (#850028 - in reply to #849817)

tackleaddict - 2/15/2017 8:56 AMWhat kind of moon correlations do you see on your sturgeon fishing?
Most of my sturgeon trips this past year we missed the majors. The majors either fell right around the time we were getting out or were after we were getting off the water. There was only one trip that we noticed more activity after moon rise. Our best night this past season we hooked into 8 sturgeon & that started 2 hours after moon set. Weather fronts shut them down.
T.Carlson
Posted 2/16/2017 2:35 PM (#850032 - in reply to #850025)

Rudedog - 2/16/2017 1:59 PM

Ya, I'm with ToddM here, And I have a lot of data to back it up where I fish.
I fish alot, basically the same # of days-same hours- same lakes each week- each year. I have kept decent logs for over 12 yrs and there is little if any difference in regard to these supposed better moon times. period. ..But that's just me!!
I know this; if you mostly fish around certain times- you will mostly have luck around those times.

If you ever get a chance to look at tournament data of what times fish are caught, it's shocking how much the moon can impact catch times....
Yes weather is always going to trump moon, but when weather is stable moon can be a big factor. By no means a guarantee, but I believe your odds increase.
tkuntz
Posted 2/16/2017 2:56 PM (#850037 - in reply to #849755)

I have yet to see anybody produce tangible evidence of majors and minors producing more or bigger fish. I still keep track of minors/majors/set/rise data and try to use it to my advantage, but honestly it's just another mental trick to keep me casting. "It's almost the major, better really pay attention and fish my best spots."
dickP
Posted 2/16/2017 3:19 PM (#850043 - in reply to #849755)

"Ya, I'm with ToddM here, And I have a lot of data to back it up where I fish.
"I fish alot, basically the same # of days-same hours- same lakes each week- each year. I have kept decent logs for over 12 yrs and there is little if any difference in regard to these supposed better moon times. period. ..But that's just me!!
I know this; if you mostly fish around certain times- you will mostly have luck around those times. "

"I have yet to see anybody produce tangible evidence of majors and minors producing more or bigger fish. I still keep track of minors/majors/set/rise data and try to use it to my advantage, but honestly it's just another mental trick to keep me casting. "It's almost the major, better really pay attention and fish my best spots."

These for me.
Plan your trips around the moon,fish your best spots and really focus around the moon and,guess what?You catch fish.
Some would call that verifiable distortion.

Edited by dickP 2/16/2017 3:22 PM
horsehunter
Posted 2/16/2017 4:41 PM (#850054 - in reply to #849755)

I kept detailed logs for over 20 years and found all fish came from wet places on days ending in Y and at that point quit keeping a log other than the one in my head. I kept records on over 1000 fish for moon age rather than position in the sky based on inches of fish caught per hour fished on each day of the moon month. Tabulations were done at the end of each season so I was not prepicking my days only fishing as I could which was a lot.( it's a wonder I've been married 48 years or maybe that's why). I found a slight increase around the full moon and slightly more around the new but not enough that I would plan a trip around it unless it was to plan to avoid crowds. Looking back i found for some unknown reason I seemed to catch a lot of fish between noon and 2pm.
All that being said 2 years ago on the afternoon and evening of the Sept full moon my partner and I put four 50 inch plus fish in the boat which on the St. Lawrence is a far from normal occurrence so who knows. It only proves most muskie guys are LUNATICS

Edited by horsehunter 2/16/2017 4:44 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 2/16/2017 4:52 PM (#850058 - in reply to #849755)

I believe there's a much greater effect in saltwater fishing as fish and baitfish react to tidal changes. I have to say, though, my logs point to a definite correlation between the majors/minors and fish activity.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)