Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> 3 or 4 Blade Prop

Reply New post
Message Subject: 3 or 4 Blade Prop
gmanny1
Posted 1/12/2017 10:45 AM (#845812)
Subject: 3 or 4 Blade Prop

I'm purchasing a 1875 Pro V Bass with a 150 HP motor. Boat does about 48 mph with a 3 Blade prop. Is the handling/planning and ride that much better to warrant a 4 blade prop and loose a few miles a hour over a 3 blade? Thoughts or any experience on both would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gman
BNelson
Posted 1/12/2017 12:57 PM (#845831 - in reply to #845812)
Subject: Re: 3 or 4 Blade Prop

different boat and motor, but, I had a 3 blade on my 690 ranger w 175 suzuki, I went to a 4 blade... I lost about 2 mph going to the 4 blade, but it comes out of the hole better and it 'bites' the waves a lot better... love the 4 blade...
esoxfly
Posted 1/13/2017 10:08 PM (#846062 - in reply to #845812)

I've always thought it depends on the water you fish, the load your boat carries, your handling priorities and hp vs hull rating.

So....?
VMS
Posted 1/16/2017 9:44 PM (#846429 - in reply to #845812)

Bass boats are designed to have very low draft, and are usually not very deep as a boat overall. The 4 blade will give better handling and hole shot, but with a traditional bass style boat, a 4 blade is not needed because the hull is lighter to begin with, and has a rear pad built in for the boat to ride on (very little water resistance on the hull).

In your case, you are looking at a deep V boat with a bass style interior. It will have some weight to it, but not enough in my humble opinion to warrant a 4 blade prop. Depending on what you have on it now, a very good 3 blade like the tempest would do well on this rig, and you'd even be able to raise the motor a couple of notches with little loss in handling.

The 690 series is an awesome rig with a 4 blade prop. In that situation, the gas tank is in the bow, so the extra blade helps lift the bow (and the entire boat) so it performs very very well... Many have found the Rev4 to be a great prop...Just ask Sled about his rig.

What do you have on the rig now? RPM's and motor brand? I'd be curious to see what you have going on...

Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)