Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> guides and photos

Message Subject: guides and photos
sworrall
Posted 1/11/2017 9:31 AM (#845716 - in reply to #845709)
Subject: Re: guides and photos

That's not what he said. Didn't mention passing the fish around. Keith caught a big girl with Herbie, she was out of the water less than a minute, got two different images and several of each. Photographer (in this case, me) was ready, had the Nikon set properly to take multiple shots with one press of shutter button, and we moved fast. Herbie and Keith are experienced, know the drill, and get excellent images and releases. Keith has handled more muskies than anyone I know.

And maybe in the scenario mentioned the Guide wants to ensure a good, clean hold, and great image, and a clean, fast release.
BNelson - 1/11/2017 8:24 AM

TheShow - 1/10/2017 10:33 PM

How about the issue of who holds the fish and who is in the pic? One of the guides mentioned in this discussion routinely takes pictures holding the fish, while the client (the person who caught the fish) stands over the shoulder. Maybe the client isn't comfortable holding the fish and asked the guide to do so... but I find that hard to believe based on how many pictures the guide takes holding a clients fish. (This has been discussed on a prior thread a year or so ago).

Early on in my muskie career I boated a 40 with a guide. He taught me how to take a good picture (stance, hand placement, background, position, etc). I still use his teachings with each pic I take. I fish alone frequently so I use a mini tripod for my cell phone, set it on the bow, yell shoot, and I get great pics every time.

If it isn't an issue for the client, I fail to see why it is with anyone else. Who cares?
-----
Steve Worrall
OutdoorsFIRST Media
www.outdoorsfirst.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why should WE care? well, because we have been told that less handling of the fish is good, correct?!? So now you have a guide holding the fish, get some pics,, then guide says to client "ok now here you hold it"...get more pics, doesn't this increase both the chances of the fish getting squirrely and ending up flipping out of their hands on the bottom of the boat, AND increase time out of the water?
While I'm sure the guide mentioned doesn't mean any harm to the fish or fishery, what concerns me is the kind of message that sends to the newbies in the sport... Pass the musky around for pics? to me, yes, I do care and I think that isn't the best choice...my 2 cents.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMGP0161.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMGP0161.JPG (134KB - 385 downloads)
Slamr
Posted 1/11/2017 9:48 AM (#845717 - in reply to #845715)

hoosierhunter - 1/11/2017 9:29 AM

Slamr,
My question for you is who yelled at you for yelling holy sh*t that is a big fish. That would probably be fairly tame in our boat. LOL

same guy that took that wonderful fish pic
NathanH
Posted 1/11/2017 10:21 AM (#845719 - in reply to #845717)

This thread makes me feel lazy I never take pictures, I'm often alone and it seems like a lot of work. I don't think I could take a photo in a timely manner.
BNelson
Posted 1/11/2017 10:35 AM (#845720 - in reply to #845719)

taking a pic solo is quite easy w todays phones... Samsungs have voice activation .. you can get a mount or even Mcgyver a little holder to put your phone in, on the butt seat, once fish is unhooked, set up phone, turn on camera, pull fish out of net, say "Capture" and phone takes pics... as many as you like... put fish back in water... voila...
Chemi
Posted 1/11/2017 12:19 PM (#845730 - in reply to #845719)

NathanH - 1/11/2017 11:21 AM This thread makes me feel lazy I never take pictures, I'm often alone and it seems like a lot of work. I don't think I could take a photo in a timely manner.

PLUS: if there's no photo evidence, those fish can keep on growing and growing... 

CiscoKid
Posted 1/11/2017 12:20 PM (#845731 - in reply to #845712)

Slamr - 1/11/2017 8:53 AM

Randy - 1/11/2017 6:47 AM

All this talk about good pictures and not a one, posted yet?!?!?

Ok, so maybe I'm just weird but...this is my personal best (really exciting 8 second fight, too). My best friend took the pic. Obviously not the best pic ever taken of me with a fish. Might actually be the worst. But what I remember, and really I do more work to kill my brain cells than most of you (trust me), wasn't the photo session but:

-holding the sucker rod, realizing their was only a TINY bit of weight on it...maybe the sucker is hog-tied, maybe it's a fish...well, one way to find out.
-the huge head that came out of the water first...like a gator!
-the "dude, that's a 50!", my response of "nah, more like high 40s" (it was 51.5)
-Tommie being a LOT more excited than me after the release.

So I don't have a great pic. Don't have one of the first over 40" that I caught that put a hook through my finger (I do have pics of the boat covered in blood. it's awesome). I don't have one of the fish that MIGHT have been 50 (a 10" jake didnt reach from the snout to the gills) that I caught before I had a full-sized net that I didnt get a measure of. I don't have a pic of the one that I caught alone on a new/secret spot on Eagle that was 46-47 and took a massive dump all over the inside of my boat.

But I do have the memories. I remember "the Dolphin" that followed and got me yelled at for saying "holy sh*t thats a big fish!". I remember the MONSTER (maybe 53, maybe 57?) that chased my rumbler then became more interested in a loon that it chased off. Almost "running the dam" in a river (10' drop). Worrall turning to me at a tourney the first day when his boat wouldnt start and saying "what do you think?" and my response being "when I have engine troubles, I CALL YOU". Me rocking the boat on a big hookset (lost fish, of course) and Worrall telling me it was probably "only" 51-52, and him telling people the real size he thought it was...

MY point is maybe, as much as we like evidence of our conquests, let's also try to make sure we cherish the experience and the memories we don't catch on film. There SHOULD be a lot more of those than fish we fooled. Or maybe that's all just me.

My thoughts are exactly the same Slamr! I still take pics, and if the pics suck it still jogs the memory of that fish if I happen to forget.
Junkman
Posted 1/11/2017 4:37 PM (#845753 - in reply to #845731)

OK pic this: Junkman's first 1976, 42.5 inches

(Junkman's First Musky.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Junkman's First Musky.jpg (98KB - 373 downloads)
Masqui-ninja
Posted 1/11/2017 6:03 PM (#845766 - in reply to #845615)

If you hire a guide on Mille Lacs or Green Bay for the chance at a real giant, you might not care so much if they get a great pic of the 44"er you catch. However, if you caught a 50#er, photography skills are an important quality for a guide to have me thinks. Also, muskies are a 'bucket list' fish for a lot of people who hire guides. Photos are usually important to these people.

I feel like it's much preferred for a client to hold their own fish for photos, but if they are new to handling pike and muskies, all the coaching in the world might not keep them from dropping a very nice fish on it's head. If they have handled muskies before then I think they should handle their own fish.
ande
Posted 1/11/2017 6:17 PM (#845767 - in reply to #845615)

As Masqui-ninja said "muskies are a bucket list fish for a lot of people who hire guides. A good photo is important

Edited by ande 1/11/2017 6:26 PM
Nershi
Posted 1/11/2017 9:17 PM (#845773 - in reply to #845615)

Ive never hired a guide but the three guys I've considered are because they get on big fish. I'm sure they can take a good enough photo. If they pull out an iPhone instead of a canon I'm guessing you wouldn't be too disappointed if you had a slob in your mitts.
TheShow
Posted 1/12/2017 7:28 AM (#845784 - in reply to #845716)

sworrall - 1/11/2017 9:31 AM

That's not what he said. Didn't mention passing the fish around. Keith caught a big girl with Herbie, she was out of the water less than a minute, got two different images and several of each. Photographer (in this case, me) was ready, had the Nikon set properly to take multiple shots with one press of shutter button, and we moved fast. Herbie and Keith are experienced, know the drill, and get excellent images and releases. Keith has handled more muskies than anyone I know.

And maybe in the scenario mentioned the Guide wants to ensure a good, clean hold, and great image, and a clean, fast release.
BNelson - 1/11/2017 8:24 AM

TheShow - 1/10/2017 10:33 PM

How about the issue of who holds the fish and who is in the pic? One of the guides mentioned in this discussion routinely takes pictures holding the fish, while the client (the person who caught the fish) stands over the shoulder. Maybe the client isn't comfortable holding the fish and asked the guide to do so... but I find that hard to believe based on how many pictures the guide takes holding a clients fish. (This has been discussed on a prior thread a year or so ago).

Early on in my muskie career I boated a 40 with a guide. He taught me how to take a good picture (stance, hand placement, background, position, etc). I still use his teachings with each pic I take. I fish alone frequently so I use a mini tripod for my cell phone, set it on the bow, yell shoot, and I get great pics every time.

If it isn't an issue for the client, I fail to see why it is with anyone else. Who cares?
-----
Steve Worrall
OutdoorsFIRST Media
www.outdoorsfirst.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why should WE care? well, because we have been told that less handling of the fish is good, correct?!? So now you have a guide holding the fish, get some pics,, then guide says to client "ok now here you hold it"...get more pics, doesn't this increase both the chances of the fish getting squirrely and ending up flipping out of their hands on the bottom of the boat, AND increase time out of the water?
While I'm sure the guide mentioned doesn't mean any harm to the fish or fishery, what concerns me is the kind of message that sends to the newbies in the sport... Pass the musky around for pics? to me, yes, I do care and I think that isn't the best choice...my 2 cents.

True, I didn't mention the guide/client passing the fish around, but I have seen that and I'm not a fan. I don't think it occurs nearly as much now days though. My gripe was toward the one guide in particular who takes way more pictures holding a clients fish then other guides. I 'speculate' its for advertising purposes since he posts the pictures on other media sources (never here). Why should I care? I probably shouldn't. If it were me I wouldn't want to reflect on a fish a few years after the fact with my guide holding my fish while my head is peeking over his shoulder.
jaultman
Posted 1/12/2017 11:59 AM (#845820 - in reply to #845615)

I very much regret every time that I didn't get a picture of a musky. It's not ALL about the picture - not even close - but the picture is still very important to me.
BigC
Posted 1/12/2017 1:58 PM (#845838 - in reply to #845615)

With the big basket style nets and my fishing partners failing eyesight (I'd win that bad photo contest) I had a guy tell me to make sure when I caught a big one to not release it right away but to put it back in the net and take a look at the photos before releasing her. I'm glad I did since there wasn't one of the whole fish. Let her sit in the net for a while, it was October. Gave my buddy the c'mon man speech, and took a couple more pics and released her. The pictures were all zoomed out but with some cropping I got some great images. Been three years and still haven't had one that big in the net again. Heck I even got a t-shirt with that fish on it...wife said it was the only replica she was allowing in the house, wear that shirt all the time. Wouldn't be the same had the fish been missing the tail portion. I let plenty of little ones go without photos but when they're 46" or bigger a good picture can get you thru some long days at work or long offseasons.

Edited by BigC 1/12/2017 2:01 PM
Fish4muskie
Posted 1/16/2017 1:49 PM (#846381 - in reply to #845615)

I have only 3 pics of Muskie' I've caught. My first(a tiny little 28"er lol),the first one over 36"(actually was 36") and the first over 40"(42"). Oh and a pic of a guides 36" tiger(first and only tiger I've seen in person). I've only caught about 50 fish so far. I only use a cell phone and just like the memories of the moment. I remember each of those fish vividly but many others not so much.
ToddM
Posted 1/16/2017 2:33 PM (#846383 - in reply to #845615)

In muskies inc most clubs require a picture with entry so thats any fish 30" and over and smaller for a multispecies entry.
ajrod88
Posted 1/16/2017 10:59 PM (#846430 - in reply to #845615)
Subject: RE: guides and photos

I have pics of every musky I have caught. Some pics are good some not so good. But i'm getting better at it and have't had a bad one for a while. Taking a pic of yourself can be quite easy if a little preparation is involved. It goes something like this.......caught fish is in water (either tethered with boga, or in net) have camera set on 10 second delay on pedestal seat ready. Pull fish from water and lay it on bump board, hold fish on board with one hand and hit the capture button on camera with the other hand. Pick up fish and by the time you get in position the timing is almost perfect. pic is from Saturday of fish caught on a BONDY wobbler. Jigging is the bomb!

(P1140451.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P1140451.JPG (317KB - 367 downloads)
leech lake strain
Posted 1/18/2017 6:29 PM (#846647 - in reply to #845615)

I don't take a pic of every muskie I catch. A lot of them because I'm by myself and I don't have the right gear on me that makes it quick and easy but when I'm with a buddy I always make sure to get some good ones. You can learn a lot of different holding and handling techniques from different people and obviously a good guide. I love looking back on them photos over the yrs and remembering what it took for that fish to eat or what it ate or maybe the clothing I was wearing telling me what time of yr it was or what the weather was like. Some fish that I never got to get a pic of I truly wish I had!
Top H2O
Posted 1/19/2017 2:01 PM (#846772 - in reply to #846647)

Way to go Marty ! I knew you catch fish. That "don't catch fish" is just a silly rumor.
Oh, nice pic.

Edited by Top H2O 1/19/2017 2:03 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)