Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> guides and photos

Message Subject: guides and photos
ande
Posted 1/10/2017 10:05 AM (#845615)
Subject: guides and photos

Just wondering how important people think getting a good photo of their catches is when hiring a guide considering almost all musky guides are catch and release?
I know for me if I catch a big fish and the photo sucks it is almost like losing a fish at the net and not getting a photo at all. That being said I think that Jeff Van Remortel, Jeff Andersen, and Gregg Thomas take about the best pictures I've seen from a guide standpoint.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 1/10/2017 10:30 AM (#845616 - in reply to #845615)
Subject: Re: guides and photos

John Anderson
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/10/2017 10:36 AM (#845617 - in reply to #845615)

It's one of the most important parts of the trip in my opinion! What was it all for if you don't have a nice picture to look back on?
ToddM
Posted 1/10/2017 10:57 AM (#845620 - in reply to #845615)

Not sure what a guide has to do with it other than taking a good photo should be something they are good at. Having said that, if photos are important, they are to me, know how to take one, have a decent camera or at least umderstand the limitations orlf a crappy smart phone camera to get the best shot possible. Good boat partners without a guide can take crappy photos with the sun at your back, head cropped out, fish too, unable to know the fish needs to be held at a better angle, too small in the picture ect.
CiscoKid
Posted 1/10/2017 11:18 AM (#845623 - in reply to #845617)

Kirby Budrow - 1/10/2017 10:36 AM

It's one of the most important parts of the trip in my opinion! What was it all for if you don't have a nice picture to look back on?

Getting a photo is the least of my concerns and why I fish muskies. I don't fish to be able to look at the photos later, or show off what I catch to others. Quite simply I fish for the chase.

Hiring a guide with the thought that getting a great photo is very important is hiring a guide for the wrong reason in my opinion. That's kind of like paying 10K plus to hunt a deer in a high fence farm.

Hire a guide for learning techniques, learning the water, and having a good time should be the most important in my opinion.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/10/2017 11:40 AM (#845628 - in reply to #845615)

Any guide worth hiring has the picture thing down. Helps to drum up new business. Most will spin the boat around to get the sun on the fish and tell you to hold the head up a bit or whatever. As for the importance of pictures? I still take them. Kind of fun to look back and remember the fish and the day.
Schultz345
Posted 1/10/2017 12:12 PM (#845630 - in reply to #845615)

Like you mentioned, Gregg goes above and beyond to not only catch his clients fish but takes some of the best photos I've seen from a guide.
Slamr
Posted 1/10/2017 12:49 PM (#845635 - in reply to #845615)

To me, not even on my radar as a point of to hire or not.

Fish on your own a bit, catch a few nice ones, don't take a pic...you MIGHT find that it's the memories and not the pictures that you will cherish.
BNelson
Posted 1/10/2017 12:54 PM (#845636 - in reply to #845615)

our memories will fade... it's nice to have some good pics of the fish and the experience imo. I'm anal about pics and when my memory sucks it will be fun to look back at the pictures... it's easy to take a good pic with todays technology....
many of the guides out there take great pics..Lee T is another one that comes to mind

Edited by BNelson 1/10/2017 12:55 PM
dfkiii
Posted 1/10/2017 1:03 PM (#845638 - in reply to #845615)

When we've arrived at the time of people taking selfies in any imaginable situation, I can't imagine catching a nice fish being less photogenic than some of the things I've seen posted.

I'd ask to see a guide's photography credentials and portfolio before booking. Any guide worth their salt will also list what kind of any camera equipment they have along with their boat, rods, reels, etc. You may want to ask if they will also provide a background obfuscation service to ensure nobody can tell where you caught the fish.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/10/2017 1:32 PM (#845644 - in reply to #845623)

CiscoKid - 1/10/2017 11:18 AM

Kirby Budrow - 1/10/2017 10:36 AM

Getting a photo is the least of my concerns and why I fish muskies. I don't fish to be able to look at the photos later, or show off what I catch to others. Quite simply I fish for the chase.

Hiring a guide with the thought that getting a great photo is very important is hiring a guide for the wrong reason in my opinion. That's kind of like paying 10K plus to hunt a deer in a high fence farm.

Hire a guide for learning techniques, learning the water, and having a good time should be the most important in my opinion.

Depends on who you are or where you are with your skill level. I've sent some of my own fish back to the depths without taking a picture, but I know a lot of people, (kids especially), that want that memory and it hang on their wall so they can look back on that day where they caught their first fish, or biggest.

Learning to fish comes first obviously, but being a people person and making the day enjoyable are probably the most important. Otherwise your trip won't be very enjoyable.
happy hooker
Posted 1/10/2017 2:01 PM (#845649 - in reply to #845644)

Priority #1,,,is he on a hot bite!!! I think people would rather have a mediocre picture of a 50 then a masterpiece of a 43.
ToddM
Posted 1/10/2017 2:39 PM (#845653 - in reply to #845615)

Not every hot bite has a 50 in it. I enjoy a good picture and you might take a picture of a fish for a variety of reasons other than its size. I do not take pictures of every fish i catch but when i do, do it right. Not only are there fish pics but great wildlife shots or big boats, ships, clouds, storms, skylines, fall foilage, rock formations, mantions ect if you enjoy taking photos. Everyone takes pictures, why not take the same pride in it that you do in chasing the fish your catching?

I just bought a sony rx100 v. Expensive but amazing photos and features in a camera that fits in your pocket. I had the version 2 but when this one came out the auto focus system was my t-bone chomp on it. I also have an older canon 280sx for long shots at distance.

Edited by ToddM 1/10/2017 2:48 PM
Junkman
Posted 1/10/2017 3:22 PM (#845656 - in reply to #845615)

Having a good camera and the know-how to get a great photo is basic to a guide's success. It's second only to the practiced ability to say, "You should have been here yesterday!" with a totally straight face. These guys know how important those photos are to us and, consequently, to them because that's how they make a living. They want the photo on their website and they want you showing it off. That said, there's a time and a place for these photos and if you've had plenty of larger fish, there's no sense lifting every single fish out of the net. Fishing LOTW with Bill Sandy last summer, Bill made it very clear to us that he wasn't going to be bringing any fish into the boat unless it was of trophy size, as long as we were OK with that. Like I always say, the worst thing you could do here on this board is post a photo of a fifty and say it's a fifty. They won't just call you a liar on the length, they'll say you snagged it and that your mom practiced the world's oldest profession. I say just do what I do, tell everyone you're a crappy angler before they get the chance...then they feel sorry for you and buy you a lot of beers!!!
NPike
Posted 1/10/2017 3:24 PM (#845657 - in reply to #845615)
Subject: RE: guides and photos

It's all about the satisfaction of catching the fish. The personal satisfaction is #1 for me. I am often alone and don't worry about expensive equipment for selfy's. I know I caught such and such a fish on such and such a day I have nothing to prove to any disbelievers. For me this is sufficient. If another person is available w a camera fine if not fine also.
I can understand the importance of photos for the guides business, since these men must make their livelihood on caught fish.

Edited by NPike 1/10/2017 3:28 PM
ToddM
Posted 1/10/2017 3:32 PM (#845658 - in reply to #845656)

Junkman - 1/10/2017 3:22 PM

Having a good camera and the know-how to get a great photo is basic to a guide's success. It's second only to the practiced ability to say, "You should have been here yesterday!" with a totally straight face. These guys know how important those photos are to us and, consequently, to them because that's how they make a living. They want the photo on their website and they want you showing it off. That said, there's a time and a place for these photos and if you've had plenty of larger fish, there's no sense lifting every single fish out of the net. Fishing LOTW with Bill Sandy last summer, Bill made it very clear to us that he wasn't going to be bringing any fish into the boat unless it was of trophy size, as long as we were OK with that. Like I always say, the worst thing you could do here on this board is post a photo of a fifty and say it's a fifty. They won't just call you a liar on the length, they'll say you snagged it and that your mom practiced the world's oldest profession. I say just do what I do, tell everyone you're a crappy angler before they get the chance...then they feel sorry for you and buy you a lot of beers!!!

Anybody gets in my face and tells me my mom bakes bread and we are throwing down!:-)

For those of you who have a.camera in the boat for pictures, what do you use? Imho camera phones are only good in perfect light.
Flambeauski
Posted 1/10/2017 3:35 PM (#845659 - in reply to #845615)

I use a Canon point and shoot. Timer is so easy to work even I can do it.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/10/2017 4:43 PM (#845670 - in reply to #845615)

I've got an older Canon Power Shot. Does the trick.
ande
Posted 1/10/2017 7:40 PM (#845683 - in reply to #845615)

To the origin of my post. Most of us musky fisherman pride ourselves in CPR. A guide should be proficient in the "C", the "P", and the "R".

Two years ago I had a friend out musky fishing and we hooked a nice upper 40" fish. I spent some time with that fish and a fish I caught shortly after on the proper way to hold a fish and photo a fish. A few fish later he landed a mid 40lb fish of a lifetime and because of the effort not only in the Catch and Release; but also the "PHOTO" he now has a picture to be proud of to put on the wall. IMO his trophy fish was not just CR, but CPR.

That being said I think a guide should be an expert in all three. If I caught a special saltwater fish, the "photo" would mean as much if not more than the whole experience as I have never caught a saltwater fish.

I would add that Mr. Worrall takes some nice photos.

Edited by ande 1/10/2017 7:48 PM
sworrall
Posted 1/10/2017 8:44 PM (#845685 - in reply to #845615)

Early in 2016 we bought a water resistant, all temperature, shock proof Pentax DSLR. Great investment!
TheShow
Posted 1/10/2017 10:33 PM (#845692 - in reply to #845685)

How about the issue of who holds the fish and who is in the pic? One of the guides mentioned in this discussion routinely takes pictures holding the fish, while the client (the person who caught the fish) stands over the shoulder. Maybe the client isn't comfortable holding the fish and asked the guide to do so... but I find that hard to believe based on how many pictures the guide takes holding a clients fish. (This has been discussed on a prior thread a year or so ago).

Early on in my muskie career I boated a 40 with a guide. He taught me how to take a good picture (stance, hand placement, background, position, etc). I still use his teachings with each pic I take. I fish alone frequently so I use a mini tripod for my cell phone, set it on the bow, yell shoot, and I get great pics every time.
sworrall
Posted 1/10/2017 10:37 PM (#845693 - in reply to #845692)

TheShow - 1/10/2017 10:33 PM

How about the issue of who holds the fish and who is in the pic? One of the guides mentioned in this discussion routinely takes pictures holding the fish, while the client (the person who caught the fish) stands over the shoulder. Maybe the client isn't comfortable holding the fish and asked the guide to do so... but I find that hard to believe based on how many pictures the guide takes holding a clients fish. (This has been discussed on a prior thread a year or so ago).

Early on in my muskie career I boated a 40 with a guide. He taught me how to take a good picture (stance, hand placement, background, position, etc). I still use his teachings with each pic I take. I fish alone frequently so I use a mini tripod for my cell phone, set it on the bow, yell shoot, and I get great pics every time.

If it isn't an issue for the client, I fail to see why it is with anyone else. Who cares?
Junkman
Posted 1/11/2017 5:55 AM (#845697 - in reply to #845615)

But seriously, I remember the first of many Musky Hunter schools I attended and saw on the schedule a full seminar entirely devoted to taking photos of your musky. I thought, "Are they kidding?" And me, a really experienced photog having done work in a dark room when I was a young newspaper man documenting every prom queen and football star. That was a session I could "sleep in" instead, right? Good thing I didn't. These days when the photo you have is ALL YOU HAVE, you better get it right. Where the sun is, and what you want in the background (or don't want) can be fixed with a simple turn of the boat. Glasses need to be off to see the sparkle in your eyes. Most of all, you want to see what the photo is going to look like "before" you bother your fish. Leave the poor fish in the net while you arrange the boat and your hair. Get your partner to take a shot of your pose without the fish, look at the picture, and see if that's what you want...see if the brim of your hat is blacking out your sexy smile. Then, when it's all good, lift the fish, snap the photo, and have your musky swimming free in about ten seconds.
Randy
Posted 1/11/2017 6:47 AM (#845699 - in reply to #845697)

All this talk about good pictures and not a one, posted yet?!?!?
BNelson
Posted 1/11/2017 8:24 AM (#845709 - in reply to #845615)

TheShow - 1/10/2017 10:33 PM

If it isn't an issue for the client, I fail to see why it is with anyone else. Who cares?
-----
Steve Worrall
OutdoorsFIRST Media
www.outdoorsfirst.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why should WE care? well, because we have been told that less handling of the fish is good, correct?!? So now you have a guide holding the fish, get some pics,, then guide says to client "ok now here you hold it"...get more pics, doesn't this increase both the chances of the fish getting squirrely and ending up flipping out of their hands on the bottom of the boat, AND increase time out of the water?
While I'm sure the guide mentioned doesn't mean any harm to the fish or fishery, what concerns me is the kind of message that sends to the newbies in the sport... Pass the musky around for pics? to me, yes, I do care and I think that isn't the best choice...my 2 cents.

Edited by BNelson 1/11/2017 8:36 AM
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/11/2017 8:39 AM (#845710 - in reply to #845709)

And...to ad to Brads point, when looking for a guide, I would want to see clients holding fish rather than the guide. It would appear that the guide gets all the fish and the client is along for the ride.
talmooner
Posted 1/11/2017 8:41 AM (#845711 - in reply to #845685)

sworrall - 1/10/2017 8:44 PM

Early in 2016 we bought a water resistant, all temperature, shock proof Pentax DSLR. Great investment!

Steve,

Can you share what model you got and why you picked it?

Thanks,
Talmooner
Slamr
Posted 1/11/2017 8:53 AM (#845712 - in reply to #845699)

Randy - 1/11/2017 6:47 AM

All this talk about good pictures and not a one, posted yet?!?!?

Ok, so maybe I'm just weird but...this is my personal best (really exciting 8 second fight, too). My best friend took the pic. Obviously not the best pic ever taken of me with a fish. Might actually be the worst. But what I remember, and really I do more work to kill my brain cells than most of you (trust me), wasn't the photo session but:

-holding the sucker rod, realizing their was only a TINY bit of weight on it...maybe the sucker is hog-tied, maybe it's a fish...well, one way to find out.
-the huge head that came out of the water first...like a gator!
-the "dude, that's a 50!", my response of "nah, more like high 40s" (it was 51.5)
-Tommie being a LOT more excited than me after the release.

So I don't have a great pic. Don't have one of the first over 40" that I caught that put a hook through my finger (I do have pics of the boat covered in blood. it's awesome). I don't have one of the fish that MIGHT have been 50 (a 10" jake didnt reach from the snout to the gills) that I caught before I had a full-sized net that I didnt get a measure of. I don't have a pic of the one that I caught alone on a new/secret spot on Eagle that was 46-47 and took a massive dump all over the inside of my boat.

But I do have the memories. I remember "the Dolphin" that followed and got me yelled at for saying "holy sh*t thats a big fish!". I remember the MONSTER (maybe 53, maybe 57?) that chased my rumbler then became more interested in a loon that it chased off. Almost "running the dam" in a river (10' drop). Worrall turning to me at a tourney the first day when his boat wouldnt start and saying "what do you think?" and my response being "when I have engine troubles, I CALL YOU". Me rocking the boat on a big hookset (lost fish, of course) and Worrall telling me it was probably "only" 51-52, and him telling people the real size he thought it was...

MY point is maybe, as much as we like evidence of our conquests, let's also try to make sure we cherish the experience and the memories we don't catch on film. There SHOULD be a lot more of those than fish we fooled. Or maybe that's all just me.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(examplefish.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments examplefish.jpg (115KB - 288 downloads)
mnmusky
Posted 1/11/2017 9:27 AM (#845713 - in reply to #845712)

Can we make it a contest? Worst pic gets a bait?
hoosierhunter
Posted 1/11/2017 9:29 AM (#845715 - in reply to #845615)

Slamr,
My question for you is who yelled at you for yelling holy sh*t that is a big fish. That would probably be fairly tame in our boat. LOL
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)