Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The Bloody shaker"
- (Added by: MuskieMike)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Jerk Bait problems

Message Subject: Jerk Bait problems
whitecap
Posted 12/8/2016 6:43 PM (#841479)
Subject: Jerk Bait problems

Good evening guys, New to the site and to lure building. I have a question I'm hoping one of you experts can shed some light on.
For years I have used a Bobbie bait and it has become one of my go too lures. The problem is I use them up pretty fast due to crashing them into the rocks so I decided I would try making my own and make some changes. So I have made a few baits but I wanted to increase the overall size of the bait and add a poly lip, I also made the body a bit different. I increased the size to around 12 inches long with the body being about 2 inches high and wide, the end result ends up looking remarkably like the pounder bulldog without the tail. My problem is the lure works good enough during the pull part of the retrieve but as soon as i have slack line the lure does a nose dive to a vertical position before slowly returning to a horizontal position on the rise. I have tried different kinds of wood and I have also tried different angles to the lip but neither seem to make much difference. I would like the lure to work more like the Bobbie bait and stay more horizontal. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong.
ToddM
Posted 12/9/2016 6:02 AM (#841513 - in reply to #841479)
Subject: Re: Jerk Bait problems

You might need to add some weight or move it towards the rear. If there is no metal tail, that or a rubber curly tail could help also.
phishmasta
Posted 12/9/2016 7:27 AM (#841518 - in reply to #841479)

Sounds to me like too much weight up front. I would build one with no weight at all and add small amounts of weight until you get drsired action, or if you currently have it unweighted, like todd said you probably need to add weight towards the rear end of the bait.
Fishysam
Posted 12/9/2016 8:25 AM (#841521 - in reply to #841518)

Have any hits with it running how it is? Sounds like a good trigger to me
MRichardson
Posted 12/9/2016 8:40 AM (#841525 - in reply to #841479)
Subject: RE: Jerk Bait problems

It sounds to me like a good working dive-n-rise.  What I look for in a dive-n-rise is a bait that will dive into cover (weeds, rocks, etc..) and then back out the way it went in, and then rise horizontally with some wiggle to the surface or until I jerk it again.  I never understand it when someone says they’ve built a “suspending” dive-n-rise, it seems like an oxymoron to me.  No, you have built a pull bait if it doesn’t dive and rise.

Is it true      that we should assume it has a metal tail like a bobbie and any adjustments to it are not getting you the action you desire?

whitecap
Posted 12/9/2016 1:05 PM (#841570 - in reply to #841525)
Subject: RE: Jerk Bait problems

Thanks for the info so far guys. Yes it has a metal tail although it does need to be larger. And yes i do kind of like the action except that the action is so dramatic that it makes it difficult to bring through the water correctly.
I did make some changes along the way and tried making the front half of the lure smaller (took some off both the height and width) as well as increasing the overall dimension of the rear section but this really didn't make much difference. I was hoping that making a bunch of these during the winter months would keep me busy but couldn't get the action right before things got too cold. any further advise would sure be appreciated.

Thanks guys for the help.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)