Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Nitro 18ZV

Reply New post
Message Subject: Nitro 18ZV
tbaatz
Posted 12/8/2016 9:22 AM (#839433)
Subject: Nitro 18ZV

Anybody have one? Anybody fished out of one? How'd you like it? What did you think? Nitro quality in general? What am I not asking that I should?
Fishysam
Posted 12/8/2016 10:26 AM (#841428 - in reply to #839433)
Subject: Re: Nitro 18ZV

Not a zv but nitro quality is very nice but not as nice as a ranger. Silly little things like carpet edging/ trim. But as far as the hull goes the glitter sled I got 100 days on the water is still 99.8% two tiny stress cracks on the console and 1 rock chip from trailering. And one bullet weight chip. Gel coats have been evolving and making the playing field more even brand to brand.
kjgmh
Posted 12/9/2016 9:04 AM (#841532 - in reply to #839433)

Very nice ride. Go with a 200HP motor, the 150HP isn't enough fully loaded.
tbaatz
Posted 12/9/2016 10:25 AM (#841547 - in reply to #839433)

A neighbor of mine used to ask me to remove my shoes before boarding his Ranger (I swear!) - I'm sure they are great boats but in my world performance per dollar is way more important then fit, finish or recognition - On the other hand I don't want overlook important features while tripping over dollars reaching for dimes - This will be my last major upgrade dating back nearly 50 years ago when I was the proud owner of a 12 ft. car topper with a 4 HP Martin in the trunk - Looking forward to crossing the finish line in style so I'm trying to get it right - - - -
Fishysam
Posted 12/9/2016 10:34 AM (#841550 - in reply to #841547)

If you like the lay out you won't be disappointed.
Will Schultz
Posted 12/9/2016 12:22 PM (#841565 - in reply to #839433)

I've spent a number of days running a ZV18. I wish I owned one and if money was no object I would choose it over the ZV21. In my opinion it is the perfect boat for muskies, big front deck but lots of cockpit space. The fit and finish is as good as every ranger I've been in. The boat fishes like a much bigger boat, honestly feels like a 620. I've run it with a 200 opti and kicker and also with a 150 4 stroke, if I was buying I would get it with the 150 four stroke and save the weight of the kicker. With three guys and a normal load it would do 49 with the 150 , the 200 pushed it to 53.

There is one minor but irritating problem with the ZV's, unless they've changed it from the 14 and 15 models. The grab rails aren't curved and have a 1" over hang. I first noticed it when running a ZV21 but didn't think much of it at the time because it was only the net would hang up on them because it didn't have front rails. When fishing in the ZV18 that had the front rails, it's a rod grabber. On day one I almost broke a rod, on day two I broke a big nasty that got caught under the overhang on the rail. As I stated it's a minor thing.
bbradley
Posted 12/9/2016 1:25 PM (#841574 - in reply to #841547)

tbaatz - 12/9/2016 10:25 AM

A neighbor of mine used to ask me to remove my shoes before boarding his Ranger (I swear!) - I'm sure they are great boats but in my world performance per dollar is way more important then fit, finish or recognition - On the other hand I don't want overlook important features while tripping over dollars reaching for dimes - This will be my last major upgrade dating back nearly 50 years ago when I was the proud owner of a 12 ft. car topper with a 4 HP Martin in the trunk - Looking forward to crossing the finish line in style so I'm trying to get it right - - - -

If this is going to be your last boat, go with a Ranger without a question. Might be a little higher in price but it's something you wont regret. I don't think I have ever seen a post from someone that has owned a ranger say they wish they would have went with something else. There's a reason why almost every pro you see in the Midwest in in a Ranger. I would take a look at the brand new 1880MS Angler. I heard these boats are unreal and now rated with a 200HP but much less expensive then a 619.

On a side note I've heard good things about the ZV18 as well but its has not been on the market as long either. If I were getting a new boat every couple years, i wouldn't hesitate on getting one. The one thing when buying a ranger you know your getting something that has a high re-sale value.

Edited by bbradley 12/9/2016 1:32 PM
sworrall
Posted 12/9/2016 1:32 PM (#841575 - in reply to #839433)

I have fished in Tim Pizzi's ZV. Impressive ride, very nicely appointed with excellent fit and finish, and tough as nails. All fr way less than comparable 18' Deep V models from other builders. I agree with Will on this one. Didn't notice any rod rail issues, this one is a 16, I think.

The Ranger won't just be 'a little' more in price, the difference is considerable. Great boats, Rangers are, but according to what you said in your second post, I think you would be delighted with the Nitro. VERY good ride and value in an 18' boat.
vegas492
Posted 12/9/2016 2:50 PM (#841589 - in reply to #841574)

bbradley - 12/9/2016 1:25 PM

tbaatz - 12/9/2016 10:25 AM

If this is going to be your last boat, go with a Ranger without a question. Might be a little higher in price but it's something you wont regret. I don't think I have ever seen a post from someone that has owned a ranger say they wish they would have went with something else. There's a reason why almost every pro you see in the Midwest in in a Ranger. I would take a look at the brand new 1880MS Angler. I heard these boats are unreal and now rated with a 200HP but much less expensive then a 619.

On a side note I've heard good things about the ZV18 as well but its has not been on the market as long either. If I were getting a new boat every couple years, i wouldn't hesitate on getting one. The one thing when buying a ranger you know your getting something that has a high re-sale value.

My buddy got a new 1880. Awesome boat. I have a 619 and yah, mine is a little bigger, but not much. Great boats.

I agree with your statement too...if this is a last boat, or one you want to run for a long time, spend the money on Ranger. It is money well spent.
tbaatz
Posted 12/12/2016 8:44 AM (#841832 - in reply to #839433)

Thank you Gentleman - This particular boat was used by one of Nitro's pro staff with low hours all manner of whistles and bells for many thousands less then new - Comes with a new boat warranty and is being sold from a likeable dealer 15 minutes from my house - I saw it in the flesh a few days ago and heard angels singing in the background - I will take the time to look at the suggested alternatives but I gotta tell you I really liked what I saw - - - -
vegas492
Posted 12/12/2016 9:43 AM (#841842 - in reply to #841832)

tbaatz - 12/12/2016 8:44 AM

Thank you Gentleman - This particular boat was used by one of Nitro's pro staff with low hours all manner of whistles and bells for many thousands less then new - Comes with a new boat warranty and is being sold from a likeable dealer 15 minutes from my house - I saw it in the flesh a few days ago and heard angels singing in the background - I will take the time to look at the suggested alternatives but I gotta tell you I really liked what I saw - - - -

Sounds like it checks all of the boxes! Check out the others, but when angels are singing....then it is just a matter of time.

Enjoy!
pklingen
Posted 12/12/2016 5:38 PM (#841876 - in reply to #839433)

if ya wait to long someone else will be trailering home those angels in their brand new nitro!
detroithardcore
Posted 12/15/2016 12:14 PM (#843149 - in reply to #839433)

Does the ZV21 rode better than a Ranger 621? Or vice versa? Just curious? What runs better in the "nasty stuff". I originally laughed at a 22' and 24' Skeeter Bay Boat on the salt until we got in some nasty stuff and was blown away at the ride. Unreal ride! Obviously it's not fair to compare the boats but what who has a better ride? Ranger 621 or ZV21v?
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 1/28/2017 1:58 PM (#847854 - in reply to #839433)

I have started looking for a multi-species boat I can use down in Arkansas for stripers, walleyes, and bass, and also for running to Kinkaid when I can and Vermilion in the summer. Maybe even some redfish and snook fishing in Louisiana too. Bass boats are plentiful here, but I just can't decide if I can rig them for trolling easily. And it seems every trip to Vermilion would have 3 days of crazy fishing from a bass rig. I know people do it, but I also like comfort...

I just looked at a Zv 18 at the BassPro in the Pyramid in Memphis. It's difficult to find a Deep V boat down south, but they had 2, so I ran over while working by there. They were 2015 models. They had 1 in their pool too. It felt stable, and the space and storage are great. The rear removable storage is basically set up to accept our big ole lures! And can easily be removed. The built in cooler would save a lot of space too! My only concern was the finish. It felt on the cheap side to me. Not near a Ranger or Lund, which I know you are not paying for. The other issues were with a latch not being secured correctly and being off of it and a compartment not closing correctly. They also had one they had rigged for a customer and they backed out. We went out in the rain and climbed in it, same issues on that one.

It comes rigged with a 24 volt 80 pound Terrova. It can easily be rigged for a 36 volt, but you'd have to add another charger, or get a 4 bank one, as it has a 3 bank installed. At the dry weight of the boat, I'm wondering if the 80 pound and 24 volts would last a full day in wind... Input on that would be great. If you put a different trolling motor on it, you have to keep the one on it already, unless you order it from the factory, so that is added cost. It is a sharp looking boat though. I can't find many user reviews online about the finish, and pro's reviews don't count for me. I did read TMG is working better with warranty issues though, but that needs to be determined on this model.

I thought it was a nice rig otherwise. Since they've had it for 2 years, I am waiting to look at other options, and maybe they'll drop the price more. TMG doesn't haggle with price, but to me the small details like finish on a new boat do matter.
Fishysam
Posted 1/28/2017 10:23 PM (#847892 - in reply to #839433)

I had good luck with a private company that sells tracker products, they let me take off a anchor and added 2 10' models for cost of 1 + $100 for the price difference of 8'-10'... Had some more luck haggling with "dealer installed options" as far as your locker concern this is what I have learned- nitro puts them together but it is up to the individual store to make them perfect. And even tho the boat is in there showroom they more than likely haven't adjusted components like storage latches. Reason being is tracker dealers can search up models on the web, and are likely to trade for many reasons. The dealer doesn't want to put labor into something they aren't selling. My particular nitro seemed decent on the show room, but as I was getting it they were tweaking latches and they made them work much better but honestly I didn't give a hoot about how one latch only turned one way...
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 1/29/2017 11:25 AM (#847938 - in reply to #839433)

The manager said that was pretty much the case. There's a BassPro a mile from me, but they have indicated they would not find me a boat, only order a factory one. Memphis is 2 hours and about 2,000 semis away from me. Not easy to mess around with small stuff.
Dan Klis
Posted 1/29/2017 12:19 PM (#847949 - in reply to #841832)

Be a little careful when purchasing a Pro Staff Boat. Make certain it was not prototype, or there were any changes made to that particular hull. That being said, that Nitro does look like a nice boat. Never ridden one. I have a buddy that has an 1880 Ranger Angler and he loves it, great ride in big water.
polarkraftdave
Posted 1/29/2017 12:56 PM (#847955 - in reply to #839433)

I gave the Nitro`s a look last year when boat shopping. But it stopped real fast when I noticed how tall it was when on the trailer - to the top of the windshield. It will not fit in a standard height garage door, just a word of caution to ya
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)