Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Landing Glove

Message Subject: Landing Glove
NathanH
Posted 12/6/2016 12:36 PM (#838195)
Subject: Landing Glove

Does anyone know if the Pete Mania big fish landing glove is still being made and if so who sells them. They kind of looked like welders gloves. I fish alone and I am becoming more and more concerned that I will have a hook put through my hand. I already wear sunglass or safety glasses after having a lure tossed back in my face. Or if you all can suggest a quality glove I'm all ears.
BNelson
Posted 12/6/2016 1:32 PM (#838201 - in reply to #838195)
Subject: Re: Landing Glove

was it the Lindy fish handling glove?
https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-AC9Y60J-Parent-Fish-Handling-Glove/dp/B...
Glaucus_
Posted 12/6/2016 2:27 PM (#838208 - in reply to #838195)

If you keep your hands farther away, you don't have to worry about hook-proof gloves.

First tool I reach for every time is the Grabb-it:
https://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/keys/grabb+i...

25homes
Posted 12/6/2016 2:54 PM (#838212 - in reply to #838195)

if you go to amazon and search forearm length fishing gloves there some very nice camo neoprene gloves that look perfect
upnortdave
Posted 12/6/2016 3:05 PM (#838216 - in reply to #838212)

I use a Franklin batters glove. I use left hand glove so I can grab fish off hand and use my dominent right to cut hooks, and unhook fish. I've used the hi seas and lindy but they are bulky and make it harder to grab fish. IMO.
Mojo1269
Posted 12/6/2016 3:23 PM (#838220 - in reply to #838195)

I think you are referring to the prototype glove that WAS going to be made by Hang on Tackle. As of this fall the glove never went to manufacturing. Apparently no love for the glove. Hang On sold the sound science bucktails brand to Big Tooth fall... I am not sure if that means the parent company is dropping the brand or repurposing it....Someone on here may know.
Driftless Bowhunter
Posted 12/6/2016 3:28 PM (#838223 - in reply to #838195)
Subject: RE: Landing Glove

Nathan,
The glove you are referring to was made by a company for Hard and Soft Tackle (Uncle Josh). I don't see it on their website anymore, but you could call them and see if any are still available. After talking to Pete, I bought one a year or so ago and I like it, since I also fish by myself alot. It is a welders glove by the way.
Driftless Bowhunter
Posted 12/6/2016 3:32 PM (#838226 - in reply to #838223)

I just saw Mojo's email and he is correct. It was "Hang On" who made the glove and was selling them through Uncle Josh. I guess maybe it didn't catch on, but I do like mine.
NathanH
Posted 12/6/2016 3:47 PM (#838230 - in reply to #838226)

Wow thanks everyone for the responses. I will be getting a Grab-it... and check around for the glove. Bowhunter was the thumb or other parts reinforced on that glove? Thinking if I have too I can get a pair of welding gloves and do some doctor them up.
BNelson
Posted 12/6/2016 3:50 PM (#838231 - in reply to #838230)

or google puncture proof gloves and you'll get lots of options
pitch'n
Posted 12/6/2016 3:58 PM (#838233 - in reply to #838195)

I have used a few of the Kevlar/Neoprene "scale" type gloves sold for fish handling and did not like the lack of grip and it's hard to rinse out the slime. Also the cost kind of high- I found the Majestic-Cut-Stab-Needle protective glove on amazon. Works great, Good grip, Also cleans easy...$24.95 per pair.
musky513
Posted 12/6/2016 6:46 PM (#838256 - in reply to #838195)

I use a regular pair of leather gloves...no problems so far.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 12/6/2016 6:57 PM (#838259 - in reply to #838195)

The glove in question was a welders glove with a reinfoced thumb and forefinger. Pete used it to lip a musky. Before it was marketed, Pete had said he made it with an innertube, I believe from a car.
mnmusky
Posted 12/6/2016 7:19 PM (#838263 - in reply to #838195)

This Lindy works. Cant say anything bad about it.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(th[4].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments th[4].jpg (9KB - 437 downloads)
btfish
Posted 12/7/2016 6:22 AM (#838291 - in reply to #838263)

We use the Lindys too. A tip with them is to get them wet before you use them so they are not so stiff. Over time and use this is less of a problem.

But I certainly here you when you are alone, a third hand sure can come in handy.
Zinox
Posted 12/7/2016 7:46 AM (#838298 - in reply to #838195)

I love the lindy glove, only thing i don't like is the size's i S/M is a bit to small an M/L is way to big, so i got the S/M so i dont loose to much dexterity.
Will Schultz
Posted 12/8/2016 9:31 PM (#841506 - in reply to #838259)

ARmuskyaddict - 12/6/2016 7:57 PM The glove in question was a welders glove with a reinfoced thumb and forefinger. Pete used it to lip a musky. Before it was marketed, Pete had said he made it with an innertube, I believe from a car.
Correct. Feels strange the first time you lip a muskie but it's really a great tool especially when you want to skip netting and just pop the hooks out.
Jerry Newman
Posted 12/9/2016 2:46 PM (#841588 - in reply to #841506)

I've used the welders glove to lip muskies for many years, once you get a good bass grip on them, unhooking is a breeze… even when they are deeply hooked.

The ones Pete marketed are no longer available, but they're easy enough to make at home, all you need is a heavy-duty welders glove with the liner removed, heavy-duty truck inner tube, and some rubber cement.

The only trick is to be sure to wrap the entire thumb with the seam facing towards you on the outside (you can see it in the picture).  Once you get a good thumb pattern made, might as well make a few more because you'll have to change it out every year or so. These gloves are not for everyone because you must be able to maintain a strong steady grip or you'll end up with your thumb in their canines when they shake their head… and those teeth can easily cut/puncture the inner tube and leather in a blink.

However, even if you don't want to lip them, the heavy-duty welders glove still protects the back of the hand and wrist better than anything else I'm aware of. I've had them stick a hook into the leather during the unhooking process many times, some have drawn a little blood, but none have managed to get me past the barb so far after about 10 gloves and hundreds of fish.

(Jerry.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Jerry.jpg (31KB - 449 downloads)
Jerry Newman
Posted 12/9/2016 2:54 PM (#841591 - in reply to #841588)

I've use the Lindy glove quite a bit as well, they work okay but are expensive and don't work very good for me with the Leech Lake grip. I also think you are taking more chances with them because there's no protection for the back of your hand or wrist.

(Jerry_.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Jerry_.jpg (29KB - 457 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)