Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I'm taking my clothes off"....from a spectator in a nearby boat watching me catch a 40"er in my breifs on a hot WI spring day.
- (Added by: sodaksker)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Bucktail coils/Stinson Vice

Message Subject: Bucktail coils/Stinson Vice
ErockEsox
Posted 12/5/2016 8:07 PM (#838141)
Subject: Bucktail coils/Stinson Vice

Do you all remove the plastic sleeve that runs on the inside of the throttle cable, and if so what method do you use to get it out. It doesn't seem entirely necessary, however I am thinking of buying the Stinson Hobbyist vice and I think I'll need to remove it in order to thread it on.

Also, Anyone used either of the Stinson vices? Any pros/cons to them?

Thanks
Pal
Posted 12/6/2016 9:35 AM (#838176 - in reply to #838141)
Subject: RE: Bucktail coils/Stinson Vice

When I vainly attempted to tie some of my own tails a few years back, the coil I got from Home Depot had the cover on the top, which I was able to peel off pretty easily for somebody with 10 thumbs. I would think you should be able to pull out the plastic in a similar fashion.

Not sure about the vise, but you want one that you can rig a nail on, or something similar, as that is what I used to put in the vice and then put the coil over it to tie onto.

Hopefully this makes sense

Paulski
crazywaynee
Posted 12/6/2016 1:55 PM (#838205 - in reply to #838141)
Subject: Re: Bucktail coils/Stinson Vice

I believe you can go to McMaster Carr and get the cable several sizes.
Wayne
MstormC
Posted 12/7/2016 8:43 AM (#838308 - in reply to #838141)

If I remember correctly the Stinson vise requires ONLY his coils. or at least that was the case with the one a friend has.
Musky Glenn
Posted 12/8/2016 6:11 PM (#841477 - in reply to #838308)

I don't use carburater cable, I use a plumbers snake. Same type material without any plastic inside or outside. I bored a hole just slightly smaller than the cable in the end of my vise so that I can clamp the cable in my fly tying vise.
ErockEsox
Posted 12/9/2016 11:59 AM (#841560 - in reply to #838141)

Thanks for the info everyone. I ordered some coils from Stinson, but am hoping that when those run out I can find them somewhere locally. I might have to try that plumbers snake. I haven't had any issues with the plastic on the inside, but the coil slides on a lot easier when it does come out.
wallygator
Posted 12/10/2016 3:13 PM (#841689 - in reply to #838141)

If you any welders get the liners from inside the guns... They work great and are free...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)