Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Michigan stocking

Message Subject: Michigan stocking
Larry Ramsell
Posted 11/29/2016 8:31 AM (#837584)
Subject: Michigan stocking

From the Fishing Wire:

"Michigan: DNR Stocks Muskellunge into 12 Waterbodies

| November 29, 2016

DNR employee hoisting new full of fingerling muskellunge

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources recently stocked 25,740 muskellunge fingerlings into 12 waterbodies located throughout the state in an effort to further enhance Michigan's world-class fisheries.

Michigan is home to two strains of naturally reproducing muskellunge, Great Lakes and northern. The DNR has been rearing muskellunge in its hatcheries since the 1950s. While the hatchery program initially focused on the northern muskellunge strain, it has shifted focus in recent years to the Great Lakes strain, as it is native to Michigan and widely distributed in waterbodies throughout the Lower Peninsula and eastern region of the Upper Peninsula.

Since 2011, the DNR has collected eggs and milt (sperm) from adult muskellunge in the Lake St. Clair/Detroit River system. The offspring then are reared at Wolf Lake State Fish Hatchery in Mattawan. This hatchery is the only facility in the state currently capable of rearing this species. The muskellunge are reared in hatchery tanks and then transferred to outside ponds after a few months.

Historically, muskellunge were reared by stocking fry in ponds and allowing them to grow by eating natural food, similar to how the DNR currently rears walleye. Because of the highly cannibalistic nature of muskellunge, the success of these rearing efforts was highly variable and often produced low numbers. Current rearing efforts at Wolf Lake State Fish Hatchery produce a much higher survival rate and more stable, predictable production.

"We are continuing to make great headway in our efforts to increase muskellunge fishing opportunities for anglers," said DNR fisheries biologist Matt Hughes, who oversees the rearing program at Wolf Lake State Fish Hatchery. "With time and experience we've stabilized and increased production so more and more waterbodies can be stocked."

Due to infrastructure improvements at Wolf Lake State Fish Hatchery, staff has been able to increase the size of fingerlings stocked each year since the program began. Increased stocking size leads to better survival.

Below is a chart of the waterbodies stocked this fall with 8- to 10-inch-long muskellunge.

Waterbody County Number Stocked
Belleville Lake Wayne 1,905
Cooke Dam Pond Iosco 2,913
Lake Michigan-Little Bay de Noc Delta 5,000
Lake Margarethe Crawford 2,880
Lake Ovid Clinton 410
Lake Winyah Alpena 2,295
Murray Lake Kent 640
North Manistique Lake Luce 1,700
Ross Lake Gladwin 441
Teal Lake Marquette 699
White Lake Muskegon 3,857
Wixom Lake Gladwin 3,000
Total: 25,740

Wolf Lake State Fish Hatchery will be over-wintering a small number of fingerlings that will be stocked in the spring into future broodstock lakes. It is estimated these fish will be 14 inches at the time of stocking.

An additional 1,110 northern strain muskellunge were stocked in Chicagon Lake (Iron County). These fish came from the Wisconsin Department of Natural resources as part of a cooperative agreement to trade Great Lakes strain muskellunge for northern strain muskellunge.

For even more information on the DNR's fish-stocking efforts, check out the Fish Stocking Database at www.michigandnr.com/fishstock/.

/Editor's note: Accompanying photo is available below for download. Suggested caption follows.

The DNR recently completed this year's muskellunge stocking efforts, putting fingerling-size fish (like those shown here) into 12 waterbodies located throughout Michigan./

DSK450_036.jpg

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural and cultural resources for current and future generations. For more information, go to www.michigan.gov/dnr. "
Will Schultz
Posted 11/29/2016 9:44 AM (#837597 - in reply to #837584)
Subject: Re: Michigan stocking

Thanks Larry, thought I posted this here yesterday.
25homes
Posted 11/29/2016 10:50 AM (#837611 - in reply to #837584)

great information there thanks buddy
tackleaddict
Posted 11/29/2016 11:00 AM (#837613 - in reply to #837584)

Kinda cool I live on LSC and spent a few years growing up across the street from Wolf Lake hatchery. I remember going there as a kid and looking at the giant sturgeon they had. Don't remember seeing muskies but I was just a little tike. Good job DNR!
Zib
Posted 11/29/2016 1:00 PM (#837630 - in reply to #837584)
Subject: RE: Michigan stocking

I'm surprised to see Belleville Lake on that list. When they stocked it 10 years ago or so they had said that the muskies ended up passing through the #*^@, down the Huron River & out to Lake Erie.
Will Schultz
Posted 11/30/2016 7:10 AM (#837705 - in reply to #837630)

Zib - 11/29/2016 2:00 PM I'm surprised to see Belleville Lake on that list. When they stocked it 10 years ago or so they had said that the muskies ended up passing through the #*^@, down the Huron River & out to Lake Erie.

The reason that was a problem in 98-03 is because they stocked Northern strain and they were mixing with the Great Lakes strain that use the lower Huron to spawn. The recent stocking in 2012 and 2016 are Great Lakes strain and will only improve the fishery from Belleville downstream.

Jkrauz80
Posted 12/2/2016 6:42 AM (#837864 - in reply to #837705)

Is there a fishable population of muskie in that stretch year round or do they mostly use it spawn? I wanted to get down there in the spring/ early summer but 275 construction kept me away. Fished it a few times this fall with no luck.
Will Schultz
Posted 12/8/2016 2:39 PM (#841463 - in reply to #837864)

Jkrauz80 - 12/2/2016 7:42 AM Is there a fishable population of muskie in that stretch year round or do they mostly use it spawn? I wanted to get down there in the spring/ early summer but 275 construction kept me away. Fished it a few times this fall with no luck.

They're going to be few and far between until stocking gets further along. The migrating spawning fish will be there in spring and season is open on the last Saturday in April.

Edited by Will Schultz 12/8/2016 2:40 PM
Jkrauz80
Posted 12/25/2016 7:36 PM (#844124 - in reply to #841463)

Will Schultz - 12/8/2016 2:39 PM

Jkrauz80 - 12/2/2016 7:42 AM Is there a fishable population of muskie in that stretch year round or do they mostly use it spawn? I wanted to get down there in the spring/ early summer but 275 construction kept me away. Fished it a few times this fall with no luck.

They're going to be few and far between until stocking gets further along. The migrating spawning fish will be there in spring and season is open on the last Saturday in April.

Definitely plan on being down there for next season opener. I know it's crazy but I've made it a goal to pull a ski from the Huron. At least there's enough 30 inch plus pike in there to keep a noob like me entertained enough to put the time in. Thanks for the insight!
Alumacraft89
Posted 12/25/2016 10:29 PM (#844130 - in reply to #837584)

Is there any place to launch a boat in the Huron river down stream of Belleville? Not all fish will leave either I'm hoping it becomes a decent fishery. Definitely a trolling lake if they do well in the lake.
Jkrauz80
Posted 12/26/2016 11:32 AM (#844135 - in reply to #844130)

Alumacraft89 - 12/25/2016 10:29 PM

Is there any place to launch a boat in the Huron river down stream of Belleville? Not all fish will leave either I'm hoping it becomes a decent fishery. Definitely a trolling lake if they do well in the lake.

There are a couple of boat launches between flat rock and the mouth. There are also some carry down spots in the metroparks if you're fishing from a canoe or kayak.
Alumacraft89
Posted 12/26/2016 5:47 PM (#844162 - in reply to #837584)

Is the river wide and deep enough for a 16.5' deep v alumacraft? Or is it shallow
Jkrauz80
Posted 12/26/2016 8:54 PM (#844168 - in reply to #844162)

Alumacraft89 - 12/26/2016 5:47 PM

Is the river wide and deep enough for a 16.5' deep v alumacraft? Or is it shallow

I only fish from shore between Bellville and Flat rock which definitely has spots too shallow. I know people put boats in below Flat Rock but I'm not familiar with that stretch.
fishblood
Posted 12/28/2016 4:56 PM (#844360 - in reply to #844162)

Except for the small stretch at the mouth, the river is too shallow for a deep v.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)