Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Get off my spot you spot stealers!!!! Duck
- (Added by: Muskie Treats)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Bucktail material

Message Subject: Bucktail material
flyingfish8604
Posted 11/19/2016 1:51 PM (#836817)
Subject: Bucktail material

bigbite was kind enough to teach me how to start making bucktails. As I'm building, my brain always thinks about other materials that would work for skirts. I've seen skirts with all the traditional materials, and have seen a few others. Do any of you use different hairs? My wife rides horses, so I've got access to horse hair, so thought about tying a tail with that. Thanks for the advice.
musky513
Posted 11/21/2016 9:39 PM (#836961 - in reply to #836817)
Subject: Re: Bucktail material

Give it a try, it might be awesome...or not. One way to find out, plus you'll have a bait that is one of a kind.
flyingfish8604
Posted 11/22/2016 7:38 AM (#836973 - in reply to #836961)

Thanks for the reply. I've been researching horse hair (mane and tail) for use with flies. Apparently in the past, horse hair was very popular in flies in Europe. The hair is not hollow like deer hair. I'm going to wait until spring when the horses get cleaned up.
PikePeter
Posted 11/22/2016 9:17 AM (#836981 - in reply to #836817)

I'd second that, go ahead and try!!!

I've tied (and tried) a bunch of stuff over all the years of tying flies and making spinners, and, some good, some bad... most of the stuff that is "bad" for any spinner could be useful for smaller flies and vice versa, but, in regards to hair being good or not for spinners I'd say you'll notice it quite fast...
In actuality I think the only bad stuff I can think of for spinners is if the hair is too "soft" and/or too weak.
What I mean by "too soft" I'd say it might be long and looking nice, but, if it is too soft it will just sort of "stick together" when in the water (still might be useful for flies for flyfishing), or, if it is way too soft it might just tangle up in a bunch when you try fishing with it kinda...
Ends up not really having any "life" to it in the water when fished as a spinner, might work just awesome dead-drifted on a small fly for brook trout or something like that, but not as a spinner is what I am after here

As in regards to the hairs not being hollow (like deer hair, but, deer hair is more or less hollow depending on where on the deer you take it from, something also to consider when using deer hair for different effects and ease/trouble tying it in) I'd venture to say that should be a good thing, I had a clump of hair from some random animal (I acutally have no recollection of what it was) that wasn't very hollow and I really liked tying spinners/huge pike-flies with that as those hairs don't tend to "flare" in the same way as hollow hairs.
The ability to flare is on the other hand basically the most important aspect for tying something like a Goddard Caddis fly (just for reference, just google one of those and you'll immediately be able to see the "flare" of the hairs).

But, just experiment and go crazy! it is fun!!! :D

Kind regards
/peter

Edited by PikePeter 11/22/2016 9:34 AM
flyingfish8604
Posted 11/22/2016 3:08 PM (#837033 - in reply to #836817)

Thanks Peter. I will try in the spring and see what happens. The worst thing that could happen is it doesn't work. Only time will tell.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 11/22/2016 4:13 PM (#837042 - in reply to #837033)

Actually, that's a good idea. You could tie the skirts long, and in the middle exactly like a mayhem flashabou bucktail and get some good action out of it.
spinnerbayt
Posted 11/23/2016 8:18 AM (#837085 - in reply to #836817)

If the hair does work you could also dye it different colors.
MartinTD
Posted 11/23/2016 12:43 PM (#837108 - in reply to #836817)

A single strand of both butt and nut hair mixed into my bucktail skirts has been a secret of mine until now. Haha. Maybe you should try it. Lol.
flyingfish8604
Posted 11/23/2016 6:07 PM (#837156 - in reply to #837108)

I'm sure it is the odor that gets the fish going. The REAL personal touch.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)