Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Mike's Extreme Guide Service -- The Best Koepp't Secret
- (Added by: ESfishOX)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Clear coat for plastic lures ?? SPRAY ?

Message Subject: Clear coat for plastic lures ?? SPRAY ?
esox911
Posted 10/8/2016 5:47 PM (#832664)
Subject: Clear coat for plastic lures ?? SPRAY ?

I am going to re-paint and refinish some of my Plastic baits this winter--I don't want to use the thicker heavy E-TEX on these lures as the originally came with a thinner clear coat----What might some of you use to spray a thin clear coat like this on your lures---Any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks.
phishmasta
Posted 10/9/2016 10:40 AM (#832714 - in reply to #832664)
Subject: Re: Clear coat for plastic lures ?? SPRAY ?

You can use etex, but thin it down with denatured alcohol. It will be a super thin coat that is hard as a rock and it will look good.
esox911
Posted 10/10/2016 8:16 AM (#832794 - in reply to #832714)

thanks---never thought of trying that so maybe I will.....
MRichardson
Posted 10/10/2016 9:14 AM (#832804 - in reply to #832664)
Subject: RE: Clear coat for plastic lures ?? SPRAY ?

Most of the factory plastic baits use a 2K automotive clear coat.  I’ve used it before and it’s a nice hard finish, most of the products are similar, google it and buy as small of quantity as you can.  You’ll need 2/3 coats.  Using that nasty stuff requires a vented spray booth and niosh mask even if you choose a low voc product.   I’ve used rattle can spray lacquer too; the finish is just as shiny, but not as hard.  You’ll need 2/3 coats.  Plan to redo those again in a couple/few years.  Truecoat epoxy can be brushed on pretty thin in one coat without thinning.  It has great self-leveling properties and bubble release with an awesome sheen.  Best epoxy for baits available.  One thin coat will also wear out, but I’d recommend that method as best for a plastic bait.

Edited by MRichardson 10/10/2016 9:25 AM
crazywaynee
Posted 11/7/2016 11:23 AM (#835825 - in reply to #832664)

I just received a E-Mail from KBS and they now have it in a aerosol 15oz can special price  $17.95 plus shipping. I will be ordering some this week, has anyone tried it it the aerosol can yet. Will let you know how it works when I get it.

Wayne
crazywaynee
Posted 11/25/2016 8:14 AM (#837297 - in reply to #832664)

Well unless you have a commercial spray booth I would not recommend this for use in the basement or garage, plus you need a good mask not cheap but a air supplied one. The product is great and does what I wanted it to do but the smell will kill you. Use caution when using Dipping would be better than the spray, but you still must have a good exhaust system, and use a mask, best used outside.
Wayne
7ovr50
Posted 1/8/2017 8:34 AM (#845396 - in reply to #832664)

I've been using clear coat for years. If you use a gravity feed spray gun and cut down the air supply along with narrowing the spray pattern you will eliminate 90 % of the over spray. But an exhaust fan in a sealed room is still necessary to contain the paint smell and vent the minimal over spray and paint smell. If done properly no over spray "cloud" is produced and the smell is contained.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)