Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Crazy Weather

Message Subject: Crazy Weather
Musky952
Posted 9/23/2016 4:12 PM (#831192)
Subject: Crazy Weather

I don't know about guys in other states but the weather in the Twin Cities has been all over the place. How do you guys approach things when there are big weather swings between hot, cold, raining, high pressure, low pressure? I understand going shallow this time of year but are you guys slowing down the presentations? How are you getting in the thick weeds and catching fish? What kind of lures can you get into these weed beds?

I am usually fishing Tonka and it has been very slow for me recently. I think a lot of it is not being able to get down into those thick weeds to present the bait in a strike zone. I was fishing shallow last night and was watching carp and even saw a musky swimming in and under huge mases of weeds.

Just trying to figure out what to do before the cold water drives them out a little deeper.
esoxaddict
Posted 9/23/2016 4:28 PM (#831194 - in reply to #831192)
Subject: Re: Crazy Weather

We just fish through it and wait for stable weather. This time of year sucks for us most years unless you get a nice slow transition into fall. My only advice is not to get caught up in where the fish should be and what you should be throwing. Years like this we've found all of our fish in the predicable main lake structures one day and tucked up in the shallow bays in the slop the next day, back to the rocks, back to the weeds, back to the rocks, back to the weeds... They gotta eat some time. The trick is being there when they do.
mnmusky
Posted 9/23/2016 7:12 PM (#831228 - in reply to #831192)

Ive found the residents are still in the shallows. The biggies from deeper have yet to slide in and out of the shallows (odd year).
Speed is the same as summer. Nothing ive seen has changed yet. I'm betting by Thursday, things will be different in the metro as its finally looks to be a bit stable and more seasonable as "normal". I was fishing topwater shallow yesterday and the only reaction came from obnoxious reeling. fast(not burning) with splash..
NathanH
Posted 9/23/2016 8:14 PM (#831233 - in reply to #831228)

I was out this morning. I targeted shallow with topwater a few hours but didn't see anything. I expected to see a shore fisherman but when they didn't show up I moved to the water outside of the weed edges with bucktails and jerkbaits... Suick, barfighter and intimidator. Still didn't see anything.
sworrall
Posted 9/23/2016 11:46 PM (#831238 - in reply to #831192)

We have so much water over here some of the smaller lakes I fish are inaccessible...the landings are 20' or more shorter, and the docks are literally under water. The wind has been a pain in the keester, too.
OnceBit
Posted 9/24/2016 12:01 AM (#831239 - in reply to #831192)
Subject: RE: Crazy Weather

Fall is a time of transition for muskies as they migrate from their summer haunts to wintering locations. It's a gradual transition. Unlike summer, weather that signals winter is coming also signals muskies to move along in their migration route. Nice stable weather stalls the migration and muskies will just lay around casually at what ever point their at within their migration route.
Timing is huge this part of the year. Sometimes people get too caught up on early/late in the day, sun/moon phases, majors and minors ect. Not that you can't catch a nice fish during these periods, but our best periods are focused around feeding windows triggered by environmental changes and seasonal windows set by photoperiodism.
Feeding windows are generally short, so you really need not only to know the muskies seasonal movements on your lake, but their location on that day to stay consistent. You'll need time on the water to learn all this.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)