Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The message on the screen said press any key to continue. I hit the shift key, and nothing happened? I then hit the Caps Lock key, and nothing happened again. Why do they continue to Lie to me, and play with what little sanity I have left? Lance Peotso's signature @M101
- (Added by: kevin)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> should i use 1/2" thick poplar for new cranks im making?

Message Subject: should i use 1/2" thick poplar for new cranks im making?
riverratlurecompany
Posted 9/20/2016 9:03 PM (#830933)
Subject: should i use 1/2" thick poplar for new cranks im making?

Im having trouble finding 1/2" western red cedar, at my local lumber yards, to make some grandma style cranks/twitch baits out of...Anyone have any experience with using poplar? It is similar in density and i would think the action would be similar...i seal all my wood lures with thinned spar urethane and use plenty of coats of thinned devcon 2 ton as a clear coat so im not too worried about water soaking in and swelling the bait...just wondering if it would be a decent choice since it is readily available and inexpensive...the only experience i have with making cranks/twitch baits has been with balsa but i wanted something a little more durable....Thanks in advance!
esox911
Posted 9/21/2016 3:39 PM (#830994 - in reply to #830933)
Subject: RE: should i use 1/2" thick poplar for new cranks im making?

I have used POPLAR before--it works Fine---Just seal like your planning--It swells when it get wets. If you have a Table saw or access too 1 you can always rip the cedar down to whatever you want--I have done that also with 2" thick cedar ripping into 1/2 x 2" strips.
spinnerbayt
Posted 9/22/2016 7:28 AM (#831035 - in reply to #830933)
Subject: Re: should i use 1/2" thick poplar for new cranks im making?

Poplar is a fine wood for lure making as long as you take precautions that keep the water out. I have many gliders, twitches, and cranks made from poplar and they've caught tons of fish.
riverratlurecompany
Posted 9/23/2016 4:02 PM (#831190 - in reply to #830933)

ill probably just rip the cedar...not sure why i didnt think of doing that to begin with...almost bought a planer because i didnt like the idea of using poplar for some reason
woodieb8
Posted 9/25/2016 8:16 AM (#831339 - in reply to #830933)

we neverusevpoplar. if you want 1/2 cedar buy cedar fence boards at lowes/homie depot.. we rip all of our lumber here. to get quality boards be prepared to do that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)