Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Inside out casting

Message Subject: Inside out casting
obsessed_angler
Posted 8/26/2016 11:42 AM (#828528)
Subject: Inside out casting

I recently watched a late sumner musky fishing seminar on YouTube. Not sure on the names of the two guys giving the seminar.
They referred to fishing weedlines from the inside out.
Instead of holding boat in say 18ft and casting up onto the weed tops/weed edge, they recommended putting boat inside the weeds and casting out.

Can anyone share their experience with this? Do u think I need to have my boat actually in side the shallow weed edge or just up in the weeds say 8ft.
I can think of a few of my spots where fishing on the insidea edge and casting out to the deep is not possible do to the size of the weeds.

Heading up to Minocqua this weekend to give it a try

scsep178
Posted 8/26/2016 12:14 PM (#828534 - in reply to #828528)
Subject: Re: Inside out casting

I watched that seminar as well. I have yet to give it a shot, so this is relevant to my interests....
RandalB
Posted 8/26/2016 12:43 PM (#828537 - in reply to #828534)

Link to the Seminar?
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/26/2016 12:56 PM (#828541 - in reply to #828528)

Yes, it all depends on the size of the spot and how it's set up for it to be possible. Basically, just put your boat far enough on the inside of the edge to cast just past the breakline and work it like that. Make sure your baits are going to be seen by fish. There is no need to cast too far past the break line into open water, where the fish are not generally sitting. If the break line is too narrow, don't do it. Or you can drift over the top of the break and cast parallel to the edge.
zombietrolling
Posted 8/26/2016 1:08 PM (#828543 - in reply to #828528)

I agree with Kirby^^

I've had luck doing it. I'll run the boat just inside the tallest edge of the weeds and cast out. No need for mile long casts, the fish usually hit near the edge of the weeds.
jaultman
Posted 8/26/2016 1:21 PM (#828545 - in reply to #828541)

Kirby Budrow - 8/26/2016 12:56 PM
Or you can drift over the top of the break and cast parallel to the edge.

Great way to do it.

One issue I have with casting "inside out" is it seems like the fish are less boat-side-friendly when you're sitting shallow on top of the weeds. For that reason I prefer to have a little space between my feet and the lake bottom.
obsessed_angler
Posted 8/26/2016 2:16 PM (#828556 - in reply to #828528)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjcf-_ApQ4w

LINK TO SEMINAR
Schultz345
Posted 8/26/2016 2:23 PM (#828560 - in reply to #828528)

This strategy works. Especially when fish are sitting off the breaks or in open water off the edges. Which seems to be quite often depending on time of year and water temps.
wavridr
Posted 8/26/2016 6:24 PM (#828590 - in reply to #828528)
Subject: RE: Inside out casting

Do it a lot.  creates a direction change and contacts fish that you may not reaching outside in.
obsessed_angler
Posted 8/27/2016 8:27 PM (#828686 - in reply to #828528)

Tactic paid off. My Dad put a 30" in the boat this morning

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(20160827_081703.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20160827_081703.jpg (197KB - 497 downloads)
ToddM
Posted 8/27/2016 9:45 PM (#828691 - in reply to #828528)

Don't make claim like that without a bump board pic!:-)
Zib
Posted 8/27/2016 10:35 PM (#828698 - in reply to #828528)

I've been doing that bass fishing for the past 25+ years & have done it sparingly for musky. It has it's days.
NPike
Posted 8/28/2016 6:02 AM (#828702 - in reply to #828698)

I think it would depend on the type, thickness and gradient of the weeds. On the lake I fish most often there are very thick weeds up to 12 to 13 FOW then very thin to deep drop-off at say 18 FOW "which comes up pretty quick" . Your casting from inside would be very limited in most cases. I park just outside the weeds and cast somewhat parallel to weed-edge and drop-off. I suppose it depends on the lake.
DonnieHunt37
Posted 8/30/2016 10:53 AM (#828949 - in reply to #828691)

ToddM who gives a rats butt? It looks like 30" to me....

IT WORKS....

Edited by DonnieHunt37 8/30/2016 10:55 AM
jonnysled
Posted 8/30/2016 10:58 AM (#828951 - in reply to #828528)

used to do that all the time. great way to really understand the details of the structure that you are fishing and find the rock, the patch of tobacco cabbage, the gravel/sand, inside turn, slot that defines the spot on the spot.

another good thing to do to learn a lake is to fish other species on it ... getting the whole picture of what is using what, when and why helps you to fully understand the value of the spot. i always look at directing a lake with the notion that 80% of the fish live in 20% of the lake and eat 10% of the time ... not science but a good way to stay on good water.

Edited by jonnysled 8/30/2016 11:03 AM
sworrall
Posted 8/30/2016 12:02 PM (#828962 - in reply to #828528)

We take it a step further, dissecting the weed structure as if the outside edge/deeper weed varieties, green cabbage center, and shallow red cabbage or other varieties are individual pieces of structure. On some lakes around here and on Wabigoon and others where weeds hold fish shallow, we put more muskies in the net on the inside edge than outside, overall. Have to understand the anatomy of the structure, and that is where an Aqua-Vu Micro comes in to play.

Last week on Vermilion we found the really big crappies where the Valcenaria and broadleaf cabbage wall intersected on sand/marl bottom. VERY specific as to where the really big fish were in a narrow strip along the weedlines. Almost impossible to define from the sonar reading exactly enough.

https://www.facebook.com/UnderwaterViewing/videos

Samllmouth were JUST outside the edge of the Valcenaria in first video, second was crappies and gills with a couple cameo walleyes.

While fishing that pattern we saw several muskies up to low 50" class right in there with the crappies and gills. Turns out the Aqua-View showed us TONS of bait in that strip as well, drawing gamefish and pannies alike.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMGP1657.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMGP1657.jpg (174KB - 435 downloads)
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 8/31/2016 8:17 AM (#829059 - in reply to #828949)

DonnieHunt37 - 8/30/2016 11:53 AM

ToddM who gives a rats butt? It looks like 30" to me....

IT WORKS....

Face palm..
DonnieHunt37
Posted 8/31/2016 8:51 AM (#829067 - in reply to #828528)

Zactly....
musky-skunk
Posted 9/9/2016 11:27 AM (#829918 - in reply to #828528)

The fish in my avatar was caught fishing nowhere near the weed edge. I normally start the day fishing edges but will often mix it up as the day progresses. On some of the lakes I typically fish I like getting in 3-4 fow and casting out or putting the boat in 7-10 feet of water and casting parallel but not on the edge, just over the top of a bigger flat. Edges are often the best bet but it can be surprising at how many fish can be sitting on the inside weed edge or just sitting right on top of the weeds in the middle of the flat. It depends a lot on the lake I'd imagine but I've had some very big fish come flying into 3 feet of water from the deeper weeds and eat boatside.
So IL Muskie Hunter
Posted 9/10/2016 4:56 AM (#830020 - in reply to #828528)

With a lifetime of largemouth fishing in the rear view mirror, I have limited muskie experience. There were many days chasing bas when "the presentation" was walking the bank and fishing the crashing waves. When fishing the shield I kept thinking the fish were only getting a limited look at my bucktail before I pulled it away from them into deeper water but was told it was the proper way to approach the situation. I kept wondering if I beached on the islands and waded the rock, casting a bucktail into deep water and then retrieving into shallow if the change in angles might trigger fish. Anybody ever tried this?

Edited by So IL Muskie Hunter 9/10/2016 5:01 AM
musky-skunk
Posted 9/15/2016 1:55 PM (#830509 - in reply to #828528)

The concept would work but the problem with wading is it takes too much time to cover water and is harder to convert follows in the 8. If it's your only option then go for it but I wouldn't get out of the boat ever unless it's to reach a spot the boat just cant get to.
HomeTime
Posted 9/20/2016 8:54 PM (#830932 - in reply to #828528)

Bottom line on monster muskies. If you want to catch more big fish, always fish the outside of the structure. Inside out is basically how to train yourself to not just cast at your target structure. Doesn't matter if it's weed, rock or wood, the big girls for the majority of their life's live on the outside. They actively and in actively follow bait pods that stack on shelf. Wind typically will affect positioning of fish, but almost all my 50+ fish come well off the structure. Sometimes 50ft, sometimes 50 yards. Sharp breaking contours and dropoffs are your best targets as those areas are more predictable migrating patterns for bait pods. Basically, if you aren't targeting the outside structure, you are not catching the big fish on the spots.

Edited by HomeTime 9/20/2016 8:57 PM
HomeTime
Posted 9/20/2016 9:15 PM (#830935 - in reply to #828528)

Just read over some of the other comments and I can relate them on a structure fishing state of mind. However, muskie do not live "in" the weeds. They will transition in and out to feed for pressure reasons. Those could be anglers, weather or even other muskies driving them in or out of the area. However, contacting the mommas of the area, you NEED to fish the depths outside. On most of my lakes, water clarity is quite clear. Weeds develope as deep as 15ft. Some grases down to 17ft. My usually spot for boat position is typically 17-19FOW. But I will cycle in and out come in contact with the weed edge, then cycle out to past the break line to where the bottom changes from soft to hard or hard to soft. Then back in to structure as I work along the spot until I establish a pattern.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 9/21/2016 7:39 AM (#830951 - in reply to #828528)

Sometimes you got to fish it all not just the edge...If there is 100 yds of weeds between the edge and shore ....then, fish the 100 yds of weeds between edge and shore. Let fish tell you what to do.

Edited by Cowboyhannah 9/21/2016 7:40 AM
BNelson
Posted 9/21/2016 10:48 AM (#830964 - in reply to #828528)

inside out casting works for sure... muskies don't really care which direction a bait is going over their heads...

I would disagree with HomeTimes post 100%... big girls go up shallow... a lot... they do not live their lives on the outside edge... sometimes they are on top of structure, sometimes on the inside weed edge, sometimes deep etc but to say a guy should just target the outside edge is missing lots of opportunities for big fish, even the biggest fish in the lake go shallow... we put lots of big ones in the boat this year from 4 feet to 6 feet.. my 2 cents.

Edited by BNelson 9/21/2016 10:54 AM
Musky Brian
Posted 9/21/2016 10:54 AM (#830966 - in reply to #828528)

That certainly could be a pattern you have found on your local lakes HomeTime, but a lot of what you described doesn't necessarily translate over to different lake types. Especially darker, shallower basins. You would potentially be missing a lot of big fish by not going right in thick of weeds on a lot of lakes I fish in the Upper Midwest.
HomeTime
Posted 9/21/2016 11:27 AM (#830968 - in reply to #828528)

B Nelson, don't get me wrong here. I am speaking about inside out fishing. I fish it all as well. However, if you dont fish inside out of try the basin you are missing out on the biggest fish in the lake in my opinion. I have several large fish ontop of and behind structure. I also have several slob fish from shoreline areas. As pointed out by muskie Brian, my tactic for outside fishing my be more specific to my clear lakes and low pressure waters
Reelwise
Posted 9/21/2016 11:56 AM (#830972 - in reply to #830968)

The angle matters and every little thing you do can be considered a drastic change if you consider the idea that these fish may have some kind of reaction to every little thing - both in and out of your own personal control.

How is the fish set up on the spot or why is it slowwwwwwly or quickly cruising?

You may not and most likely will not formulate the same result with every which angle you can possibly present your bait to a fish at all times. I know this may seem obvious to people... but, I'm just throwing it out there.

We have to asume everything and try everything if we really want to understand it all to the point where we may believe we have a clear understanding, but an educated guess based on experience and intuition helps us narrow our options down - drastically. Those things tell me that riding one single edge and going around an entire lake in the same exact fashion is probably not going to put me in the best position or situation as much as I would like it to based on my physical and mental efforts after making such a simple and basic decision.

I think that may have been one of the key points of the video.

Gotta try it all in order to catch them all.

I do not feel good about it, because it can damage the weeds and leave a path no very appealing to the eyes of someone who wishes to enjoy pure nature... but, going through the thick stuff with your trolling motor so you can better cast into pockets or even do what you described in your initial post - is one of my favorite ways to fish.

Good luck!
Reelwise
Posted 9/21/2016 1:35 PM (#830979 - in reply to #828528)

So IL Muskie Hunter... 

Some friends and I were fishing an Island by boat on Lake of the Woods one evening before a storm. The storm came early... so, we beached the boat. The mosquito's motivated me to grab a rod and stay active. If I was going to appear as if I was under some kind of attack while going through such physical motions - I would rather be fishing than swatting at mosquito's and slapping myself. The three of us did a pretty good job mixing it up as far as baits went while fishing from the boat, so different styles of baits were used when we fished before the storm. The topwater I used while on the boat ended up triggering a nice, 43" fish to go after I made a cast while standing on shore. Rock cover around the entire island... not sure I remember any weeds. That fish followed several times when we were casting off the boat and did not hit until I made the cast from shore.

The shallow water and the fact that the bait and fish literally ran out of room makes me believe the fish may have actually sensed that it would be successful after taking the chance it was thinking about taking several times before the bait was presented in a way that literally or potentially made things easier for it to score.

Since we can not always see the fish and how they are positioned or what they are doing... like Steve mentioned... You either have to know the anatomy of the structure or cover you are fishing as well as how it's surrounding are laid out or you have to see the fish itself in order to take a guess when it comes to which angle you think will increase your chances of catching versus not catching. A "bad" cast or a "wrong" angle can even spook a fish... We all know that much.

The angle AND the spot... along with the time. You sometimes need to have the angle down in order to hit the spot. You can hit the spot from several angles at times... but, sometimes we must cast at a specific angle in order to get to or bring our lure through the spot in order to do what is specifically necessary to achieve the most positive, absolute result when it comes to a subject based on anything but absolutes.

Sometimes triggering a fish to go requires an absolute formula. Hard for some to agree with that comment if you consider how many variables are involved, but sometimes I feel like we need to be doing everything the way it should be done in order for our projections to become a reality. 

In order to advance, we have to take a step back sometimes. The wrong angle will eventually lead to the right angle, but too much wrong could make it hard to do right. Experience and doing things outside of what we might believe to be normal will help us when it comes to being in the right spot at the right time more often than not - if everything we have no control over also falls into place.

Outside in will increase your chances for specific fish... and you might catch more fish... but, there are always going to be fish that we miss. At least we can get to some of them, but we can't do it unless we change our ways once in a while.

Edited by Reelwise 9/21/2016 1:42 PM
BNelson
Posted 9/21/2016 2:45 PM (#830983 - in reply to #828528)

and sometimes over thinking things costs you fish...muskies are not hard to catch..
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)