Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Trout Lake, Vilas County WI

Message Subject: Trout Lake, Vilas County WI
scsep178
Posted 8/23/2016 1:07 PM (#828249)
Subject: Trout Lake, Vilas County WI

I'm looking at doing a weekend trip to Trout Lake in the beginning of October. I've read some things about this lake over the years, but does anyone have an idea how the bite has been this year? I've never been on the lake before, so any help to alleviate a little bit of scouting time would be greatly appreciated.

Also have heard about several rock bars. Are these clearly marked, or should I rely on GPS. Coming home with an intact lower unit is always a plus. Thanks in advance!!
jonnysled
Posted 8/23/2016 1:19 PM (#828250 - in reply to #828249)
Subject: Re: Trout Lake, Vilas County WI

there are two basins separated by a narrow channel ... more rock structure on south than north. nothing is marked except for a weather station in the basin of south but the map chips are pretty good. most of the trouble is between and north of the islands on south trout but if you don't pay attention you can make your trip more memorable than you want to.

it's a pretty cool lake with enormous smallies, lakers, muskies and everything in-between. i suggest approaching it with a multi-species mentality and take what it gives to you given conditions.

the spots i've caught muskies are on the palisades weed line on north, then on the south shoreline of south and where the creek runs in on the west side. i've had a couple of 3-fish days there over the years.

for WI. inland waters it's a lot to chew on but worth the effort.

good luck!

Edited by jonnysled 8/23/2016 1:23 PM
scsep178
Posted 8/23/2016 2:54 PM (#828260 - in reply to #828249)

Thanks! Much appreciated. I studied my GPS in the garage a few days ago, and it seemed pretty good. Good advice on the multispecies approach. The other half is a newly addicted bass angler so I'm sure I'll take the entire arsenal. Any tips for Lakers?

jonnysled
Posted 8/23/2016 2:58 PM (#828263 - in reply to #828260)

you'll see them in both basins marked up ... get baits down to them and you should get bit. spoons and lip baits is what we've used with success. i caught them with riggers and spoons and snap weights and lip baits.

go to the basement in the salmon firstthread for some more ... some good deep water fishermen hand out down there.
Nershi
Posted 8/23/2016 6:13 PM (#828287 - in reply to #828249)

Lead core dipseys or coppercore are also trolling options if you don't have the gear sled mentioned. My preferred method is jigging them. Much more exciting. If you can keep your boat positioned you can watch them chase your bait on the graph similar to ice fishing with a vexillar. If you can't you may want line counters to make sure you're in the zone you're marking fish in. Sonars, tube jigs, large jigging spoons or even small bondys will work. Usually don't need bait but a chunk of frozen Cisco can help. Lakers spawn in the fall so if they are spawning you'll find them on deep rock structure vs suspended deep in the basins. You may want to check the regs to make sure they don't close the season during the spawn period.

Edited by Nershi 8/23/2016 6:20 PM
scsep178
Posted 8/24/2016 8:09 AM (#828312 - in reply to #828249)

Well it looks like the season for Trout closes on Sept. 30th for the lake. I guess that fish is out... Oh well. Thank you for the tips. I'm sure it won't be the last time I will head there.

Skis and Smallies it is!
Slumpbuster
Posted 8/24/2016 7:44 PM (#828366 - in reply to #828249)

Was talking with a local conservation officer and UWSP graduate student who was doing a creel count at the north trout boat landing early season and they informed me over 40 adult muskies and up to 25% of the walleye population was taken during winter spearing on trout this past winter. Wonderful lake that I enjoy fishing but have to think that pressure like that in an already low density musky population may have some effect on the fishery in the future. I have fished else ware in the immediate area this summer.
Headlock
Posted 8/24/2016 9:28 PM (#828371 - in reply to #828366)

Slumpbuster - 8/24/2016 7:44 PM

Was talking with a local conservation officer and UWSP graduate student who was doing a creel count at the north trout boat landing early season and they informed me over 40 adult muskies and up to 25% of the walleye population was taken during winter spearing on trout this past winter. Wonderful lake that I enjoy fishing but have to think that pressure like that in an already low density musky population may have some effect on the fishery in the future. I have fished else ware in the immediate area this summer.

Heard the same thing. Sad deal. Use to be such a great lake. The last few years you could tell the difference.
AndrewR
Posted 8/24/2016 9:29 PM (#828372 - in reply to #828366)

I wouldn't buy into word of mouth statistics, but who knows for sure.... 40 is more excessive compared to this spring when 430 walleyes and 22 muskies were taken out per spreadsheet total.

Regardless of the above, Trout Lake is a beauty who will make you work and fish smarter. Keep a distance from the SW side of Easter Island as monstrous unmarked boulders rise up from 20ft. Also, avoid navigating between the saddles at the islands next to it - one of them is less than 1ft and from a distance or in a wind you wouldn't think anything is there. With high water I've seen some nutcases already do some damage thinking they'd be able to pass thru. OOPS.

Slumpbuster
Posted 8/24/2016 9:44 PM (#828374 - in reply to #828249)

I usually don't buy into the word of mouth but was a little alarmed with the info passed to me. Figured the guy with the clipboard knew more than I did. Just personally wanted to give the fishery a break knowing the pressure it had been under. Not that I'd do much damage!!
Cfollow
Posted 8/25/2016 7:25 AM (#828387 - in reply to #828366)

Real stewards of the land. Just plain sad! What point is spearing 40 adult muskies proving, just curious??
scsep178
Posted 8/25/2016 8:09 AM (#828392 - in reply to #828249)

Hmmmm, well that's unfortunate to hear. Maybe I'll have to choose a neighboring lake? Perhaps Big Muskellunge or something in Manitowish?
jonnysled
Posted 8/25/2016 9:04 AM (#828397 - in reply to #828392)

the time you are coming Big Muskellunge, Big St. and the Manitowish Chain would all be good places to go
vegas492
Posted 8/25/2016 9:42 AM (#828402 - in reply to #828249)

For me....Trout Lake has always been, well, humbling. And that is putting it mildly. No doubt there are fish in there...and giants. But she is tough. I don't get enough time up north anymore, so that lake is pretty much off of my list. There are other lakes all over the woods that are easier to fish and more productive for me.
Slumpbuster
Posted 8/25/2016 11:16 AM (#828420 - in reply to #828249)

If your staying on trout lake there are plenty of lakes right in the neighborhood that would provide good action and a shot at a nice fish. As sled mentioned Big muskellunge would be a good one. I would think about putting some time in on high/fishtrap, crab, presque, papoose, big lake or escanaba. All within about 20mins of trout and would give you some better odds. Wildcat is always an option if your not looking for sizable fish.
scsep178
Posted 8/25/2016 11:50 AM (#828423 - in reply to #828249)

I will be staying in Minocqua so any lake a really an option. They are all only a short drive. Since it's only a weekend trip, something more productive would be great. I'll look in to the others. I am not familiar with any of the lakes up there. I grew up in Tomahawk, so I know most of the lakes in that area, just looking for something new to tackle.
Aaron B
Posted 8/26/2016 6:33 AM (#828492 - in reply to #828249)

I wouldn't hesitate to fish Big Arbor Vitae either. Been a while since I fished it since my brother-in-law and sister got a place on North Twin, but always had good action on Big Arb. Relatively easy to fish as well.
AndrewR
Posted 8/27/2016 12:45 PM (#828652 - in reply to #828492)

Aaron B - 8/26/2016 6:33 AM

I wouldn't hesitate to fish Big Arbor Vitae either. Been a while since I fished it since my brother-in-law and sister got a place on North Twin, but always had good action on Big Arb. Relatively easy to fish as well.

That would be a lake to avoid if during first weekend of October. No fun pee pounding 1,100 acres with 30 other musky boats during a tournament weekend.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)