Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Spring Bay Summer Outing Underway

Message Subject: Spring Bay Summer Outing Underway
sworrall
Posted 8/29/2016 12:47 PM (#828816 - in reply to #828807)
Subject: Re: Spring Bay Summer Outing Underway

Another nice one from the Outing. The ladies kicked some fanny last week!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(vermilion 2016.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments vermilion 2016.jpg (108KB - 365 downloads)
muskyhunter47
Posted 8/30/2016 5:14 AM (#828908 - in reply to #827998)

Yep 10 muskies was it. Fished nights once tried early morning 4:30 moved 3 fish one in the net. It was a tuff week but still a good time.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/30/2016 7:41 AM (#828917 - in reply to #827998)

That's pretty standard on vermilion these days. Population is way down and the average size is getting smaller.
Nershi
Posted 8/30/2016 8:30 AM (#828927 - in reply to #827998)

She can be a humbling lake. It was pretty good to my buddy and I this past weekend. Fished about 14 hours throughout the weekend and put 3 in the boat. I'd like to try to make this outing one of these years. Can't beat the price and hospitality and it looks like you guys have a great time.

Kirby, I'm curious why you think the population is down. The PMTT last year had some pretty impressive results. I understand this year has been pretty tough but last year was pretty stellar out there.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/31/2016 1:23 PM (#829115 - in reply to #828927)

Nershi - 8/30/2016 8:30 AM

She can be a humbling lake. It was pretty good to my buddy and I this past weekend. Fished about 14 hours throughout the weekend and put 3 in the boat. I'd like to try to make this outing one of these years. Can't beat the price and hospitality and it looks like you guys have a great time.

Kirby, I'm curious why you think the population is down. The PMTT last year had some pretty impressive results. I understand this year has been pretty tough but last year was pretty stellar out there.

I cannot give you scientific evidence, but the stocking has been down and it shows with fish sightings and catches. Pressure is high as well, but that's nothing new. The amount of large fish sightings is nothing like it was a few years ago either. 3 fish is pretty good for 14 hours. There are obviously still really big fish on the west end, but the numbers are struggling in my opinion. I';ll just say that I used to see a lot more big fish out there and catch a lot more in any given day.

Also, the week of the PMTT was the best fishing I've seen out there in some time. And most of those fish were not caught on the west end.

Edited by Kirby Budrow 8/31/2016 1:25 PM
Clark A
Posted 8/31/2016 11:15 PM (#829151 - in reply to #827998)

I would love to catch some crappies that size! I know this is a muskie site ,but how far north do crappies go? I just went to Cliff Lake, south of Perrault Falls and learned that lake across the road, Cedar, has crappies. I just realized that within the last few years of this outing you posted pics of gills from Vermilion, if Pelican in Orr, MN has them, how far north do gills go? All I want is one fish fry on my stay, and ONE to bring back home! When you get a walleye on an 8" Suick, you begin to respect the fish in a different manner. Shore Lunch and tartar sauce make all fish taste like delicious fish.
BNelson
Posted 9/1/2016 7:28 AM (#829157 - in reply to #827998)

3 fish in 14 hrs of fishing is way above the avg anywhere...if you could keep that ratio up on V all season you'd be doing better than 99.9% out there I'd imagine!

Edited by BNelson 9/1/2016 7:28 AM
Kirby Budrow
Posted 9/1/2016 8:14 AM (#829161 - in reply to #829157)

BNelson - 9/1/2016 7:28 AM

3 fish in 14 hrs of fishing is way above the avg anywhere...if you could keep that ratio up on V all season you'd be doing better than 99.9% out there I'd imagine! ;)

Exactly. When they are on, they are on! But don't expect to keep those numbers up for very long. 5 years ago, my boat partner and I put 5 in the net within a couple hours. We used to have 3 and 4 fish nights pretty consistently but I have not seen it anywhere near that good in a while.
bucknuts
Posted 9/1/2016 10:08 AM (#829180 - in reply to #827998)
Subject: RE: Spring Bay Summer Outing Underway

I agree with Kirby!
The number of big fish sightings are way down, the last couple of years.
Seeing more small fish the last three years.
I'm hoping that maybe they stayed out in open water.
If I were a muskie and there were bucktails being pulled by me constantly, on the reefs and islands, I'd be in open water too.
sworrall
Posted 9/1/2016 10:11 AM (#829181 - in reply to #827998)

One of the boats put 3 in the net last week on an evening on one of three donated (as in free) guided trips. Still happens, I guess, like it could anywhere. Almost all the MN 'new reservoir' muskie waters will level out if they have not already, and NR/stocking will then determine how good they are into the future.

What some of you are obviously missing in this conversation is the Spring Bay trip is way more than just putting a fish in the net; until you attend, you may not get that and that IS your loss until you DO attend. It would be nice if the muskies lit up and everyone got one, but that's true anywhere. I didn't fish muskies, and saw 7. One was a tank.

Good news is any cast made on that water could result in a fish of a lifetime, the hospitality is world class, steak fry unexcelled, door prizes and drawing prizes really nice, and the company of the MuskieFIRST folks on shore during the dockside seminars, dinners, mapping party, and around the fire ring absolutely worth the trip. The Fall outing qualifies same, but there's shorter days and harder fishing during those short days going on there.

The fire ring after dark, on the other hand....well, ask the guys.

Just stay away from the apple pie. That's not a pastry.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 9/1/2016 9:31 PM (#829232 - in reply to #828776)

Nick59 - 8/29/2016 9:41 AM

Don't tell anyone but we fished for other species also

That's a lot of Big Black Crappies! You must have really enjoyed them!

Edited by ARmuskyaddict 9/1/2016 9:33 PM
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 9/1/2016 9:33 PM (#829233 - in reply to #827998)

I wasn't disappointed in the least. I went fishing muskies and caught a big bass on the first spot.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)