Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Walleye or pike on your plate.

Walleye or pike on your plate.
OptionResults
Pike
Walleye

Message Subject: Walleye or pike on your plate.
tolle141
Posted 8/16/2016 11:02 PM (#827541 - in reply to #827401)
Subject: Re: Walleye or pike on your plate.

vegas492 - 8/16/2016 8:32 AM

sworrall - 8/12/2016 11:21 AM

vegas492 - 8/12/2016 11:06 AM

I don't think he did. He cut the meat off of the top of the fish, then took some meat from the back 1/3 of the fish down to the tail. I'm sorry to hurt your feelings, Pike Master, but it didn't taste good at all. Could be a matter of preference.

My mother, though, really liked to pickle larger pike. Dad would keep them every now and then for her. I think she even liked them served as poor man's lobster and cooked under the broiler.

Probably was full of lactic acid, which Pike and Muskies can produce during the fight under certain circumstances. I've run into that a couple times, and you are right, the meat actually tastes bad.

Very interesting. I wouldn't have thought that to be an issue if you soak the fillets in a little salt water bath, then keep them in the fridge for at least 24 hours.
You've now convinced me to try pike again with an open mind.

Worth it. Trust us.
vegas492
Posted 8/17/2016 8:24 AM (#827564 - in reply to #826717)

I'm pretty curious about this boiling method explained in a few posts...can anyone elaborate more on the boiling in sprite method? For any fish? Do you add anything to the sprite? It sounds interesting and something I'd love to try soon.
tkuntz
Posted 8/17/2016 9:11 AM (#827572 - in reply to #826717)

Can't say I've boiled with sprite, but I've enjoyed pike boiled in water, lemon juice, salt and bay leaves. The recipe was called "poor man's lobster," but it just tasted like fish to me. It was very good dipped in butter, much the same as lobster.
sworrall
Posted 8/18/2016 7:04 PM (#827788 - in reply to #826717)

Love boiled pike. Add cubed potatoes, fresh green beans, carrots if you like 'em, boil with the above ingredients tk mentioned, drain and butter the whole deal. Good stuff.

Boil the pike, add veggies to taste, and then put it all in 3 cans of cream of mushroom soup, and a chowder is borne. Also really good with canned Chinese veggies.
vegas492
Posted 8/19/2016 10:37 AM (#827860 - in reply to #827788)

sworrall - 8/18/2016 7:04 PM

Love boiled pike. Add cubed potatoes, fresh green beans, carrots if you like 'em, boil with the above ingredients tk mentioned, drain and butter the whole deal. Good stuff.

Boil the pike, add veggies to taste, and then put it all in 3 cans of cream of mushroom soup, and a chowder is borne. Also really good with canned Chinese veggies.

I'm trying this one next. Sounds delicious.
Jerry Newman
Posted 8/23/2016 11:11 AM (#828241 - in reply to #827860)

Everything being equal, Pike is a full notch above walleye at our house… but I would never turn down a well prepared Walleye either.

Years ago I was staying on Oak Island LOW and Lauren Jr. boated over from the bunk house to pick us up and take us to Young's Bay (I was leaving my boat on a spare trailer on the island). 

We had already cooked up a mess of eggs, potatoes, walleye, and northern pike for breakfast. Lauren sat down to eat and Dick said “be careful Lauren, there’s some northern pike mixed in there”.  I immediately countered with; “he's just messing with you, there's no Pike”.  

He laughed and proceeded to fork of a large piece of northern pike into his mouth and began complementing how good fresh walleye was for breakfast. I distinctly remember him saying his sister would bake northern pike and it would stink up the house for days.

He said he hated that disgusting fish and could smell it frying a mile away while he was chewing a mouthful of pike. 

I use cedar shingles to clean them on so they don't slip around so much, then just pitch cedar. I really like that newspaper idea for the slime and will give that a try.

J.Sloan
Posted 8/23/2016 4:07 PM (#828273 - in reply to #826717)

Pike, better flavor and texture.

JS
Headlock
Posted 8/23/2016 11:39 PM (#828304 - in reply to #827564)

vegas492 - 8/17/2016 8:24 AM

I'm pretty curious about this boiling method explained in a few posts...can anyone elaborate more on the boiling in sprite method? For any fish? Do you add anything to the sprite? It sounds interesting and something I'd love to try soon.

Have been doing it for years. Okada showed me this one. Big pot and bring the soda to a boil and cook fish until done. That easy. Did it at a popular camp on Eagle Lake and everyone loved it. A little different from fried all the time.
vegas492
Posted 8/24/2016 8:24 AM (#828314 - in reply to #826717)

Seriously? It is that easy? I've been steaming cod lately, and it has been great. I'll try this method next.
Reelwise
Posted 5/19/2017 12:21 PM (#862144 - in reply to #826717)

Neither.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 5/20/2017 6:28 AM (#862218 - in reply to #826717)

Pike
Hand Down the Best !
North of 8
Posted 5/20/2017 6:42 AM (#862219 - in reply to #826717)

Eight or nine years ago the Wisconsin DNR did a fish survey on the lake where I live, including netting, shocking and then followed up with creel surveys for the entire season. The tech who did the creel surveys has since retired but he did that work for years following his return from Vietnam. He loved fishing and eating fish. Other than trout from Upper Peninsula streams, he said his favorite fish was pike. Right after he started, he stopped by my dock and introduced himself and told me about the study. He stopped to check with me on what I had caught four times during the season and as luck would have it, three of those times I had caught and released pike of 30" or more. He chided me the first time about throwing back such good eating fish. The last time was early November and he said I was the only one fishing on the chain. I told him I had caught a musky but that it had no visible fin clips, which he always asked about. Then I told him I had caught and released a nice, fat, 33" pike while fishing for musky. He just shook his head and said "you're hopeless".

Edited by North of 8 5/20/2017 6:44 AM
bbeaupre
Posted 5/20/2017 12:07 PM (#862240 - in reply to #826717)
Subject: RE: Walleye or pike on your plate.

I would say pike when comparing filet meat but walleye cheeks are by far better than any pike.
djwilliams
Posted 5/23/2017 8:32 PM (#862628 - in reply to #826717)

No one has mentioned yellow perch. They're my favorite. My wife Tammy is the best Y bone extractor on Leech lake. Her and her sister won't fish with me cause I fish muskie. They have their own boat, catch a lot of northern, so we eat a lot of northern.
Tommis
Posted 5/23/2017 9:10 PM (#862633 - in reply to #862628)

djwilliams - 5/23/2017 9:32 PM

No one has mentioned yellow perch. They're my favorite. My wife Tammy is the best Y bone extractor on Leech lake. Her and her sister won't fish with me cause I fish muskie. They have their own boat, catch a lot of northern, so we eat a lot of northern.

I would second a yellow perch vote! Love me some fried perch...
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)