Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Musky Hunter School

Message Subject: Musky Hunter School
MuskyMidget
Posted 7/24/2016 5:26 PM (#824746)
Subject: Musky Hunter School

Anyone have any updates? I was on sabaskong last week and got crushed. Worst week ever on LOTW hands down.

Wondering if they were having a tough time in the NW Angle also.

Thanks - Midge
jdsplasher
Posted 7/25/2016 7:29 AM (#824793 - in reply to #824746)
Subject: RE: Musky Hunter School

Much fishing pressure in the angle last week.  EVery year, the schools brings many boats. Not sure how the school did? Usually results are posted in a few weeks.

Was there with the Mrs, for 11 days, boated 27...10 were in the 44-46.5"... Saw 4-5 in that magic number range...but only one nipped. Caught 5 pike in the 41-44" range.

Weather played a big part in your results!!!

JD 

Musky Brian
Posted 7/25/2016 7:46 AM (#824796 - in reply to #824793)
Subject: Re: Musky Hunter School

Flatlanders caught 80 fish with 12 boats in the Angle last week. I also saw a report of 2 guys getting 14 in 2.5 days. Another report from a guy staying at Mylie's solo with 4 legit 50 and ups last week

Edited by Musky Brian 7/25/2016 8:02 AM
musky1969
Posted 7/25/2016 10:41 AM (#824827 - in reply to #824746)

MuskyMidget - 7/24/2016 5:26 PM

Anyone have any updates? I was on sabaskong last week and got crushed. Worst week ever on LOTW hands down.

Wondering if they were having a tough time in the NW Angle also.

Thanks - Midge

I seen on Mylies Facebook 1 guy got 2 @ 50", (1) @ 51" & (1) @ 53 1/2" so I bet you he would of said Sabaskong was on Fire last week LOL
Darren
bbradley
Posted 7/25/2016 11:00 AM (#824831 - in reply to #824793)

jdsplasher - 7/25/2016 7:29 AM

Much fishing pressure in the angle last week.  EVery year, the schools brings many boats. Not sure how the school did? Usually results are posted in a few weeks.

Was there with the Mrs, for 11 days, boated 27...10 were in the 44-46.5"... Saw 4-5 in that magic number range...but only one nipped. Caught 5 pike in the 41-44" range.

JD 

Just out of curiosity what started the Flatlander IL group going up to LOTW. You would think they would go to St. Clare since it's closer and the fishing is just as good if not better. Or are there some ties with the resorts up there?

I always avoid going up during that time. I had some bad experiences in years past.
Slamr
Posted 7/25/2016 12:32 PM (#824850 - in reply to #824831)

bbradley - 7/25/2016 11:00 AM

jdsplasher - 7/25/2016 7:29 AM

JD 

Just out of curiosity what started the Flatlander IL group going up to LOTW. You would think they would go to St. Clare since it's closer and the fishing is just as good if not better. Or are there some ties with the resorts up there?

I always avoid going up during that time. I had some bad experiences in years past.

Cant speak to their motivation...but for ME (even though St. Clair is 5 hours away and LOTWs would be 14 [i fish Eagle, same distance]) the LOTWs/Canada EXPERIENCE is very different than St Clair. YES, with good guides and/or a big enough boat, you can catch a zillion on St. Clair, the ascetics are more than a little different there versus LOTWs and that area.
wisriverrat
Posted 7/25/2016 8:33 PM (#824942 - in reply to #824746)

Fished out of the same camp as the flatlanders they had 22 fisherman.
I ran into Saric on spots more than any of the Muskie hunter students
Propster
Posted 7/25/2016 11:15 PM (#824961 - in reply to #824746)

120 fish for the Musky Hunter school. Not sure how many guys
Dan Klis
Posted 7/26/2016 12:16 PM (#825023 - in reply to #824961)

These numbers including the school last week at Big Narrows are concerning! Will leave it at that.....
Musky Brian
Posted 7/26/2016 12:28 PM (#825025 - in reply to #825023)

Dan Klis - 7/26/2016 12:16 PM

These numbers including the school last week at Big Narrows are concerning! Will leave it at that.....

The 60+ guys and 3 50" fish part?

Junkman
Posted 7/26/2016 2:51 PM (#825046 - in reply to #824746)

Didn't keep real close track but my gut says we got about two thirds what we got last year. For me personally, it was a lot worse. No question, there was a really nasty weather event real early in the week that likely cost us about three days of poor results. Just heard a similar report this morning from a top stick who was at Eagle. It's musky fishing after all, and it goes like this sometimes. I still would urge anybody out there who has never been to one of these schools to find some way to get this into their bucket-list. Between the Sandy's hospitality, meals that will send me back to Overeater's Anonymous and a fishery of ones dreams this is just tops! This year I got to fish with Bill Sandy and Spence Petros, last year a whole day with Jim Saric and previous schools with Steve Heiting and Kevin Schmidt. It's truly a once in a lifetime chance for anybody who loves this sport.
Muskie Junkie
Posted 7/26/2016 3:06 PM (#825049 - in reply to #824746)

Flatlanders trip to LOTW:
This year was the 14th year that the Flatlanders have made the trip to LOTW and Stayed at Walsh's Bay Store Camp. We started this back when Bay Store used to go to the Chicago show and haven't given up yet. I coordinate the trip so that is why I am in the know. We had (24) anglers that put (92) fish in the boat. Our group has been as large as (28) and as little as (14). As long as there are members interested, we will continue to make our annual trip. This year we struggled a bit due to (4) days of high pressure/bluebird skies.

Steve
MuskyMidget
Posted 7/26/2016 3:30 PM (#825051 - in reply to #824746)

Well besides a few "outliers" I am getting the feel that most people had the same sort of week we did. I was with my girlfriend and this was her first musky trip, so we didn't pound the water like I usually do with my buddy.

The only 2 times I have even been on Sakaskong it has really sucked compared to all my trips to the angle so I have been scratching my head wondering if I ever even want to fish Sabaskong again!

Midge
musky99
Posted 7/30/2016 1:44 PM (#825489 - in reply to #825051)

We fished the Angle same week as school. Tied best week ever. 26 in boat with 50 1/2, 49 1/2, 49, and a 47 the biggest. Downsized to double 8's.
We fished a little unconventional due to the pressure and it payed off. Kept laughing at musky hunter boats, one after another, fishing the rock reefs. We were in tight and slayed them. No other big rangers fishing structure we were.....

Edited by musky99 7/30/2016 1:49 PM
whynot
Posted 7/30/2016 10:19 PM (#825516 - in reply to #824746)

What does that mean, in tight? Honestly curious to know another pattern to try when it's tough.
musky99
Posted 7/31/2016 10:52 AM (#825530 - in reply to #825516)

Fished up tight to shore. Small bays/nooks aka garages. Had to have sand bottom and weeds. Thick bladed grass was a must. Slack side most effective. Boat positioned in 3 feet of water casting to less than 1 foot. Cast back past the grass, burn double 8 over grass. The fish for some reason preferred to lay in the grass.

We have had multiple years of mediocre results. Decided this year to forgo the normal milk run to spots that traditionally hold fish. Went old school and decided to dissect and fish the heck out of structures. If no fish seen, scratch that area off the list. When fishing an island or complex, fish everything. Even areas we would normally move quickly through. Thinking was pressure has changed fish habits.

We picked up a few fish from wind blown rock and some from the cabbage. Started to notice most fish we were seeing were from areas mentioned above. Started looking specifically for that structure.

Fished out of Oak Island. Never went past Royal Island, which is a first. Stayed away from the narrows. No need.
whynot
Posted 7/31/2016 1:55 PM (#825540 - in reply to #824746)

Very cool. Definitely need to adjust when the typical stuff isn't showing/producing fish. Sounds like you made the adjustment and it paid off big time. A couple years ago the traditional stuff you mentioned wasn't holding fish. Reeds saved our trip.
cwestly
Posted 8/1/2016 11:02 AM (#825616 - in reply to #824746)

Anyone ever fished NW Angle while the Gil Hamm is happening down at Red Wing? Enough boats to add pressure that far north? Just curious since that will be happening to me in a 3 weeks while we're staying at Spruce Island Camp
Zib
Posted 8/1/2016 1:06 PM (#825636 - in reply to #824850)

Slamr - 7/25/2016 1:32 PM

bbradley - 7/25/2016 11:00 AM

Cant speak to their motivation...but for ME (even though St. Clair is 5 hours away and LOTWs would be 14 [i fish Eagle, same distance]) the LOTWs/Canada EXPERIENCE is very different than St Clair. YES, with good guides and/or a big enough boat, you can catch a zillion on St. Clair, the ascetics are more than a little different there versus LOTWs and that area.

St. Clair is my home waters & I'd rather go to LOTW or Eagle. I would enjoy the Canada experience a lot more than St. Clair even if I know I'll catch fewer fish. Plus don't have to deal with the drunken pleasure boaters or the bass tourney guys with all the dead smallies floating around the docks. St. Clair is not the ideal place for large groups to get together.
Glaucus_
Posted 8/2/2016 7:58 AM (#825714 - in reply to #825616)

Fished up tight to shore...The fish for some reason preferred to lay in the grass.

Wait, what? Massive high-pressure cold front and the fish moved shallow into thick cover? They weren't active out on the exposed rocks? Crazy...
I think one of the harder things to do is recognize the situation and adapt in the way that you did, rather than banging your head trying to fish last week's/last year's perfect bite like many others seemed to have done. Good work.

Anyone ever fished NW Angle while the Gil Hamm is happening down at Red Wing? Enough boats to add pressure that far north? Just curious since that will be happening to me in a 3 weeks while we're staying at Spruce Island Camp

I don't think you'll see much, if any, boats from the Gil Hamm/Sabaskong Bay area coming up as far north as you in Sabaskosing or the Angle. That's a good 25+ boat miles away.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)