Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> North Metro

Message Subject: North Metro
thescottith
Posted 7/22/2016 12:12 PM (#824536)
Subject: North Metro

Are the N Metro lakes too warm? in the 80's? WBL, Bald eagle...forest??

SK
Brad P
Posted 7/22/2016 1:08 PM (#824543 - in reply to #824536)
Subject: Re: North Metro

Chances are if Tonka is over 80, then those lakes are as well.

When it gets like this, it is time to drive north. Several viable options withing 2-3 hours of the Metro that should be a cool enough to fish. Chances are in 2-3 weeks temps will be back in the safe range. We've enjoyed a few years of not having the annual "hiatus", but it is back this season.
MuskieFever
Posted 7/22/2016 1:27 PM (#824547 - in reply to #824536)

Buddy of mine said White Bear was 83 earlier this week... And thats a clear lake!
bbradley
Posted 7/22/2016 1:30 PM (#824548 - in reply to #824547)

Yea, metro is out of the question for awhile. If you truly care about the sport you will leave them a lone. This kind of heat is an almost guaranteed fatality if you hook into one. Just about your only option is the croix just because of the higher cooler water that has been pushed down.

Edited by bbradley 7/22/2016 1:34 PM
thescottith
Posted 7/22/2016 1:45 PM (#824551 - in reply to #824548)

Thanks for the reports, Will be heading North out of the metro loop to fish tomorrow....
tolle141
Posted 7/23/2016 2:28 PM (#824638 - in reply to #824536)

Saw 3 boats fishing Lake Rebecca this morning when I stopped by for a walk. Not only are they hitting fish with water temps that are WELL above 80, but they're doing it on the metro brood stock lake. Wish the DNR would just shut that lake down during the summer....
mnmusky
Posted 7/23/2016 4:26 PM (#824647 - in reply to #824638)

I fish rebecca once a year in early june. Have been doing it for years. Call me a schmuck since its a brood lake but if you have the release skills, its not an issue. Hard to avoid it with no lake homes and a true up north feel. Its low density is a deterent in its self. I for one , havent been out since late june on any lake due to temps, but come sept. , all bets are off. Sept. Metro is money in the bank on all lakes.
MTJ
Posted 7/23/2016 11:16 PM (#824673 - in reply to #824536)

Too many soapboxes in our sport. I hit flatheads when water temps reach 80 as I do half the time anyway but I'm not gonna tell the guy who only gets out once month that he shouldn't fish just cause it's hot. Some of us need to mind our own business.
169sportsman
Posted 7/23/2016 11:50 PM (#824674 - in reply to #824536)

I was hoping to hit the flatheads myself but the river is a wee bit high for my liking lol.
FlyPiker
Posted 7/24/2016 9:26 AM (#824695 - in reply to #824536)

Shouldn't encourage others to not fish when mortality is at around 50% due to lack of dissolved oxygen? Yeah, I'll stand tall on that soap box. There are other fish to fish for, cooler waters to fish in, reels and boats and other equipment to maintain. Also you can use this time to score brownie points with the wife (or husband or parent) to score one more fishing trip when the water cools down.
Musky952
Posted 7/25/2016 1:09 PM (#824862 - in reply to #824536)

Temps on my lake at the cabin (near Mille Lacs) were 84.9 degrees. What were people reading on Mille Lacs and surrounding lakes? My lake isn't small but I don't think it is the best lake to base average water temps.
Musky Face
Posted 7/25/2016 1:25 PM (#824867 - in reply to #824536)

Mille lacs on saturday before the rain i had 75 to 76.
bbradley
Posted 7/25/2016 1:30 PM (#824868 - in reply to #824536)

Was out walleye fishing bald eagle last night and there were 4 boats out musky fishing in almost 84 degree water temps......... I almost said something but I didn't feel like having my tires slashed in the parking lot.
thescottith
Posted 7/26/2016 12:47 PM (#825026 - in reply to #824868)

Any updated temp info? did the rain lower temps at all? wishful thinking to fish the north metro this Saturday I'm sure....probably have to run up north.

thanks

sk
bbradley
Posted 7/26/2016 1:09 PM (#825028 - in reply to #825026)

thescottith - 7/26/2016 12:47 PM

Any updated temp info? did the rain lower temps at all? wishful thinking to fish the north metro this Saturday I'm sure....probably have to run up north.

thanks

sk

Walleye fished bald eagle on Sunday after the rain. Temps still at 83 and with yesterday and today being 90. i bet the temps are 85 degrees. I think that the next week or so it out of the question.

BBT
Posted 7/27/2016 10:35 AM (#825137 - in reply to #824536)

Went out on Tonka on Sunday afternoon on my way home, 80+ deg water only fished for a couple hours went home. There were "TONS" of muskie fisherman out. If you were to play the blame game lots of people getting the credit there. Like someone said, for some of us there are very limited opportunities to get out every year. IMO a quick boatside release in those temps is probably going to be fine. Although if I do catch a monster yes I'm going to hold it and take a very quick pic, measure in the net and release. Not everyone can follow the musky fishing rules perfectly, not everyone can fish only when the book says you should. But if we all do the best we can and try to help others in positive ways this sport will continue just fine and the lakes will continue to survive! Musky fishing was good back in the day even when people caught them for table meat. BTW what is a good recipe for musky?
bbradley
Posted 7/27/2016 11:05 AM (#825141 - in reply to #825137)

BBT - 7/27/2016 10:35 AM

Went out on Tonka on Sunday afternoon on my way home, 80+ deg water only fished for a couple hours went home. There were "TONS" of muskie fisherman out. If you were to play the blame game lots of people getting the credit there. Like someone said, for some of us there are very limited opportunities to get out every year. IMO a quick boatside release in those temps is probably going to be fine. Although if I do catch a monster yes I'm going to hold it and take a very quick pic, measure in the net and release. Not everyone can follow the musky fishing rules perfectly, not everyone can fish only when the book says you should. But if we all do the best we can and try to help others in positive ways this sport will continue just fine and the lakes will continue to survive! Musky fishing was good back in the day even when people caught them for table meat. BTW what is a good recipe for musky?

Couldn't disagree with you more here. I'm guessing your are one of those guys who fishes for "pike" 2-3 weeks before musky season opens..... Seems to me, you don't have respect for the sport. The mortality rate when water surges above 80 degrees increase by close to 70%. Think of it like this a musky is fighting for its life when hooked using all available energy. I would compare it to a person trying to run a marathon in 95 degree weather. I know that 80 degrees is the magic number and I get when someone goes out there and the temps are 78 and you get a hot day they might spike up to 80. But its terrible to be fishing when temps are 84 plus degrees and its been 95 degrees for numerous days. Is it really going to kill someone to take a week off until it cools down.

Edited by bbradley 7/27/2016 11:09 AM
MOJOcandy101
Posted 7/27/2016 11:22 AM (#825143 - in reply to #824536)

I guess I have always wondered but never asked. What are water temps down in Illinois, West Virginia, or Ohio? Are muskie just more adapted to higher water temps down there?
BBT
Posted 7/27/2016 3:14 PM (#825171 - in reply to #824536)

I have never seen the exact "science" between water temps and musky survival. I even did a quick google search and there are endless amounts of "fishermen" input data but no hard numbers. The thing I will agree is sure as the water warms it may be more stressful on the fish. However who is to say what is the magic number. Is it 80?, 79.2?, 84.3?, 77.1? 87?, I'm not sure of the number like I said I do believe it is more stressful on the fish the more extreme the temperature. I do know of people down south who catch them all summer long without any mention of side effects. If we are on the temperature subject how about cold weather, like when you pull a fish out of water and the air is cold enough they freeze before they can be turned loose, probably stressful on the fish as well. For the record I do not fish them before opener, I live in Iowa where it's go time all the time! And yes I will be taking a week or more off because of work and I don't like the heat.

Edited by BBT 7/27/2016 3:16 PM
MOJOcandy101
Posted 7/27/2016 3:38 PM (#825174 - in reply to #825171)

BBT - 7/27/2016 3:14 PM

If we are on the temperature subject how about cold weather, like when you pull a fish out of water and the air is cold enough they freeze before they can be turned loose, probably stressful on the fish as well.

Yes it is bad for muskie to be caught during the winter during freezing temperatures. But the season is also closed up here during that time.
tolle141
Posted 7/27/2016 9:51 PM (#825209 - in reply to #825171)

I have never seen the exact "science" between water temps and musky survival. I even did a quick google search and there are endless amounts of "fishermen" input data but no hard numbers. The thing I will agree is sure as the water warms it may be more stressful on the fish. However who is to say what is the magic number. Is it 80?, 79.2?, 84.3?, 77.1? 87?, I'm not sure of the number like I said I do believe it is more stressful on the fish the more extreme the temperature. I do know of people down south who catch them all summer long without any mention of side effects. If we are on the temperature subject how about cold weather, like when you pull a fish out of water and the air is cold enough they freeze before they can be turned loose, probably stressful on the fish as well. For the record I do not fish them before opener, I live in Iowa where it's go time all the time! And yes I will be taking a week or more off because of work and I don't like the heat.

The studies are typically done on other fish, and if you do some digging the numbers are really surprising. My general rule is if the guides are rescheduling appointments, I shouldn't be on the hunt either.
FlyPiker
Posted 7/27/2016 11:58 PM (#825218 - in reply to #824536)

http://fishlab.nres.illinois.edu/Reprints/Landsman_et_al_Muskellung...

If you don't want to read the whole thing:

Muskellunge angling occurs across a broad range of tempera- tures, typically spanning late spring through late fall. This time period encompasses warm summer months, particularly in the muskellunge’s northern portions of its range, where water tem- peratures may become excessively high which could increase physiological disturbances (Cooke and Suski, 2005). Anglers in lat- itudes extending into the southern portion of the specie’s range (e.g., Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee) typically cease angling for muskellunge when water temperatures rise above 27 ? C (per- sonal observation). The present study revealed that increases in water temperature caused significant increases in blood glucose and plasma potassium concentrations for muskellunge relative to angling at cooler temperatures, though temperatures rarely exceeded the optimal thermal preferenda (i.e., 25.6 ? C; Scott and Crossman, 1973). Our findings agreed with several other studies demonstrating increased glucose concentrations at greater tem- peratures (Gustaveson et al., 1991; Meka and McCormick, 2004). The observed glucose concentration increases may be attributed to increased standard metabolic rates that rise as water temper- atures warm (Dickson and Kramer, 1971; Cooke et al., 2001). In turn, production of liver glycogen rises resulting in an increase in glucose as glycogen is catabolized (Kieffer, 2000). Such energy demands are necessary for fish to recover following intense activity (Kieffer, 2000). Explanations for the observed increases in plasma potassium with water temperature are relatively unclear. However, potassium has been shown to enter plasma following exercise due to intercellular metabolic waste (Wang et al., 1994), red blood cell sodium-potassium pumps (Borgese et al., 1987), or intracellular gill uptake (Wood and Lemoigne, 1991), and elevated plasma potas- sium concentrations at higher water temperatures may result from increases in membrane fluidity (Cossins and Prosser, 1978; Gerner et al., 1980). This particular response is of interest because potas- sium cations influence nerve function (Hidaka and Toida, 1969; Abe and Oka, 1999) and elevated potassium levels (i.e., hyper- kalemia) can contribute to cardiac failure in mammals (Guyton, 1981; Lindinger, 1995). Interestingly, Beggs et al. (1980) observed markedly higher plasma potassium concentrations in muskellunge that died compared to those fish that survived through the exper- imental period. Because most muskellunge angling occurs in the warm summer months (Kerr, 2007a), the potentially lethal effects of increased potassium concentrations and their relation to cardiac failure is of concern. Evidence from this study clearly indicates the propensity for physiological disturbance to increase with increas- ing water temperatures. Therefore, it is advisable to be cautious of the magnitude of stress imposed on muskellunge (e.g., severely limit air exposure and angling durations) when angling during peri- ods of high water temperatures

The Beggs paper from 1980 had a mortality rate of 30% according to the abstract. I couldn't find a way to view it for free though to dig deeper into their research.

while it didn't lay down a law for us I'm going to stick with the temps get dangerous for fish survival over 78 ish. 80 is easy to remember. I encourage you all to do the same. We've all caught fish with battle wounds from previous anglers, recycling them is key to us continuing to enjoy them.

I was looking at some other studies mentioned and it had time out of water at like 60-120 seconds for some bonefish... Are they counting the scales on the #*^@ things or what? Good god that's a lot of time out of water. Survival was not great for that group of fish.
Nershi
Posted 7/28/2016 8:20 AM (#825230 - in reply to #825174)

MOJOcandy101 - 7/27/2016 3:38 PM

If we are on the temperature subject how about cold weather, like when you pull a fish out of water and the air is cold enough they freeze before they can be turned loose, probably stressful on the fish as well.

Yes it is bad for muskie to be caught during the winter during freezing temperatures. But the season is also closed up here during that time.

As long as temperatures aren't cold enough to freeze their gills or eyes I do not see why catching them in the winter would be bad for them. Temps need to get down in to the negatives before you have issues with eyes and gills freezing, as long as it is a quick release. If a large enough hole is cut in the ice for proper capture and release and the right tools are used I think the fish would be fine. That being said, I would not be a proponent for opening up the winter season because I think most anglers would not take the necessary steps when targeting them to protect the fish.
Brad P
Posted 7/28/2016 9:57 AM (#825238 - in reply to #825230)

This argument happens on here every year. It isn't illegal for somebody to fish muskies right now. However, it is most likely irresponsible in terms of the fishery.

If you really care about the sport you would do well to consider that it takes 6-8 years to grow that 40" fish and tens of thousands of dollars in stocked fingerling plus a little bit of luck. 50" Fish are only about 10% of the Adult population and take 10-12 years to grow, these take a bit more luck and are a truly special resource. On top of this, the stocking numbers in MN are on a downward trajectory. All this together = These fish are a very precious and expensive to maintain, especially on stocked waters.

So given those numbers, you can see why some anglers take high temps very seriously. When I was new to the sport I struggled with this. I REALLY didn't want to give up my time on the water. There were a few years that I didn't. However, as I've gained experience and learned more about our fishery I've made the decision to hang it up when it gets hot. I'm also one of those weekend guys with limited time on the water.

Some history on the annual "hiatus": In the Twin Cities Metro, at least in my 7 years of fishing it, the worst hiatus I've seen was 2012, which lasted 5-6 weeks. Note that this was also a 25 year drought weather wise, in other words an extreme event. This current stoppage might last 3-4 weeks once it is done, so that is 2nd worst. Most of the time it is 1-2 weeks. The past two years we haven't had any real need to stop at all, in fact I think in three of my seasons the water temps barely tickled 80 degree, if at all.

My opinion is that hot water is part of the game, even in Minnesota. Is it so hard to park it for on average 0-2 weeks a season? Or at a minimum drive an extra 50 miles to safer waters? For me it is not. There is plenty to do in MN in July that is fun. Brew some beer, hit up a State Park, drive North and Fish up there, or have a BBQ. It's Summer in MN, broaden your horizons and enjoy life.
Jeremy
Posted 7/28/2016 11:58 AM (#825249 - in reply to #824536)

Given that I spend most of July up north on Vermilion and come back to the cities near-on the August time-frame I also have elected not to fish until Sept. temps cool things a good bit.

Besides after being on Vermilion and then taking a look at the lakes around home makes me groan!
I'll wait till it cools....dangit anyway!
FlyPiker
Posted 7/28/2016 9:14 PM (#825320 - in reply to #824536)

I elected to change out my bearings and such on my trailer. Apparently my trailer uses a goofy seal size, tomorrow the search continues. My one hour project is going on 4 days now. At least I'm passing time until the water cools down.
Sorgy
Posted 7/29/2016 7:07 AM (#825349 - in reply to #825320)

Everyone,
With the 80+ degree water temps in the metro at this time I am canceling the August 2nd League night date. this is specificly for the North Metro Muskie League. I will probably make a change to the schedule to drop the Rush / St. Croix and Sugar/ Eagle night and slide The other August 2nd back to the 9th and the 9th to August 16th.

Right now August 9th may be in jepordy.

Please stay up to date on these changes and notify any friends who fish the league that changes are in the works.

Thank You

Steve

thescottith
Posted 7/29/2016 7:50 AM (#825355 - in reply to #825349)

Anyone have any current temps with this cool down.
I thinking she's still up over 80 and will probably have to head north again or skip it.
Looking at next weeks weather...uggh...
Brad P
Posted 8/1/2016 8:46 AM (#825596 - in reply to #824536)

I had my youngest out to catch panfish on Tonka on Friday, temps were 79.5-80.8. Bluegills were cooperative.

Temps were 78-80 on Sunday, as the sun got low they were 78-79. Suspect this week will not do it any favors.

Blake
Posted 8/6/2016 9:49 AM (#826350 - in reply to #824536)

Does anyone have current water temps?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)