Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Third man in boat question

Message Subject: Third man in boat question
Andy L
Posted 7/20/2016 10:27 PM (#824324)
Subject: Third man in boat question

Hi All,
I am taking a trip to Eagle Lake next week and will spend most of my time as the third guy in the boat. I am wondering how much thought I should put into the baits being used in front of me. Looking for any advice or general rules for fishing from this spot. Thanks in advanced!

Andy L
asteffes
Posted 7/20/2016 11:30 PM (#824327 - in reply to #824324)
Subject: RE: Third man in boat question

A few thoughts/opinions:

1). If you are all paying for the trip, you should have a rotation for who is front/middle/back etc...

2). Work different depths. If working a break line, 1 person can work the deep edge

3). Team approach: when I fish with buddies, we attack it as a team, all working different baits knowing our goal is to boat a fish no matter who catches it. Typically, once a fish is caught we rotate positions and who throws what. If a pattern has been developed, we rotate who is up front etc when all throwing the hot bait.

Good luck - work together and everyone should enjoy the trip!
Johnnie
Posted 7/21/2016 12:16 AM (#824328 - in reply to #824327)

Jig a Fuzzy
Catch their follows
muskie-don58
Posted 7/21/2016 6:08 AM (#824332 - in reply to #824324)
Subject: Re: Third man in boat question

Food for thought : nice big erratic figure 8's, jig a bondy, throw medussa's and pounders... Read Herbie's updates.. Dbl8's a lot easier to burn. Bucher has a nice article about bouncing baits off rocks.
ToddM
Posted 7/21/2016 7:00 AM (#824335 - in reply to #824324)

Boat control changes whether you fish 1, 2 or 3 people if you are casting to something. Best way to make ithe it fair is rotating. If you don't give the middle person enough room, they cannot make a decent cast, as is they don'the have the casting angles the front and back persons do.
Musky Brian
Posted 7/21/2016 7:22 AM (#824340 - in reply to #824324)

theres a lot of advantages to throwing in the back of the boat. In my opinion, and from experience, thinking you have to throw a completely different type of bait could be a mistake. Even with 3 guys. Utilize the advantage of being able to hit structures at different angles, which the guys up front can't do.
Tommy
Posted 7/21/2016 7:44 AM (#824345 - in reply to #824324)

Back of the boat is a great spot to work more erratic baits, as you'll never be in the way of the others. If they're throwing bucktails or topwater, put on a glider or crank and work it erratically. If the fish are only going on blades, then switch it up. But odds are you'll get some fish they wouldn't and vice versa.
BNelson
Posted 7/21/2016 8:14 AM (#824348 - in reply to #824324)

I fish 3rd in MN quite often when I run the boat for buds... If fish are not chasing or active, I go with something gets down in the water column, dawg/dussa/triple d. IF fish are active I kick up the trolling motor speed to 1 to 1.5mph and we all throw fast moving baits as each cast w the boat going that fast we will cover different water... that same approach can work on eagle.. if whoever is running the boat is crawling along at .5..well then being 3rd the only way to cover different water is to go down ... I'd bang a crank off rocks...when fish are active kick up that trolling motor and everyone throw blades...or 1st guy throw 8s, 2nd, maybe 9s or 10s, and 3rd spot maybe a fast moving topwater... when fish are active cover water....fishing 3 guys in the boat when fish are going can really be good and the 3rd guy will get shots if the boat is moving fast.. ie, 1.5 mph... I love fishing 3 guys in the boat and run the boat from the back and we cover water... last year the I got a 53" in the 3rd spot and we were all throwing 10s....

Edited by BNelson 7/21/2016 8:41 AM
Udee2159
Posted 7/21/2016 8:21 AM (#824350 - in reply to #824324)

Similar to the previous responses, I try to do something "different". The word different can mean many things. To me its: Size, depth, speed, color, action, and sound. If the two guys in front of me are throwing a big bucktail and a jerk bait, I'll think about downsizing to a smaller bucktail or use a deep diving crankbait to bounce off rocks/wood. If the two guys in front are using a topwater and a bucktail, I'll try a jerkbait or glide bait or even a twitchbait.

At the end of the day, its all about confidence. In my mind, how you feel throwing a bait is just as important as what you're throwing. Give yourself a chance to trigger a fish they won't or find a pattern they aren't fishing. Similar to what was said above, by me doing something different it gives the "Boat" a higher chance of success for the day.
Troyz.
Posted 7/21/2016 9:56 AM (#824374 - in reply to #824350)

being on eagle, first guy blades, second dawg, 3rd ripping cranks, mix in topwater and phantoms, find a pattern the adapt. Like brad stated you can pick up the trolling motor speed and cover mote ground, and identify presentation, and location a lot faster.

Good luck

Troyz
Fishysam
Posted 7/21/2016 10:24 AM (#824392 - in reply to #824348)

BNelson - 7/21/2016 8:14 AM

I fish 3rd in MN quite often when I run the boat for buds... If fish are not chasing or active, I go with something gets down in the water column, dawg/dussa/triple d. IF fish are active I kick up the trolling motor speed to 1 to 1.5mph and we all throw fast moving baits as each cast w the boat going that fast we will cover different water... that same approach can work on eagle.. if whoever is running the boat is crawling along at .5..well then being 3rd the only way to cover different water is to go down ... I'd bang a crank off rocks...when fish are active kick up that trolling motor and everyone throw blades...or 1st guy throw 8s, 2nd, maybe 9s or 10s, and 3rd spot maybe a fast moving topwater... when fish are active cover water....fishing 3 guys in the boat when fish are going can really be good and the 3rd guy will get shots if the boat is moving fast.. ie, 1.5 mph... I love fishing 3 guys in the boat and run the boat from the back and we cover water... last year the I got a 53" in the 3rd spot and we were all throwing 10s....

This is exactly it, just try not to position the boat like the first guy is alone. I normally run tens as fast as I can in front 8s in the middle random speeds. And cranks/ top water /blades rather slow in the three slot. I have been out fished by a double a few times from the back. I believe the back is superior as it in much quieter, not propeller or slap of waves, lower to figure8.
muskie-don58
Posted 7/21/2016 3:23 PM (#824442 - in reply to #824324)

Great responses
djwilliams
Posted 7/21/2016 4:06 PM (#824453 - in reply to #824324)

When I'm in the boat with my boys we have a couple rules. Everyone is wearing shades and everyone throws in the same direction. Both guys know how to cast over either shoulder, either sidearm. Last thing we want is baits going past our faces or over our shoulders. Matt likes cranks, Michael likes bucktails, and I'm usually the one throwing topwaters. On that lake, I think at least one person has to throwing topwaters. Biggest fish in my boat (52.5) came from Matt, the middle man, on a crank after the fish quit my Suick fished from the back.
Randy
Posted 7/21/2016 6:43 PM (#824471 - in reply to #824453)

I'd throw out the other side of the boat away from the structure and catch the ones that may be just off of the structure. Hard to do when the first two are casting the obvious but, it can and will pay off...
esoxaddict
Posted 7/21/2016 7:57 PM (#824479 - in reply to #824471)

Nice thing about the back is you can cast parallel to the stuff everybody just hit and clean up some nice fish in the process. Last bait through can be the ticket some days, and it gives you a good opportunity to change things up a bit instead of just throwing blades.

If the fish are active and the two guys in front are good casters, you're sucking hind tit, though. In that case I'd say a rotation schedule is in order.
Andy L
Posted 7/21/2016 9:22 PM (#824485 - in reply to #824324)

Great things for me to think about and even talk to my group about on the way up. I am super excited and will keep you all posted on how we do.

Thanks again!

Andy L
Headlock
Posted 7/21/2016 9:39 PM (#824487 - in reply to #824324)

I would have no problem being the 3rd guy on Eagle. Cast off the back side for the week and you will like the results. Especially on high pressured spots.
whynot
Posted 7/21/2016 11:57 PM (#824499 - in reply to #824324)

Last three Fourth of July trips to Lotw I've boated the biggest fish out of the back fishing mostly third, sometimes second. Pay attention to where the guys in front are casting. Pay attention to what they're using. Sometimes you'll end up using the same style of bait. Sometimes not. It can be frustrating at times if they're moving all the fish but if you stay focused it can really pay off.
Clark A
Posted 7/22/2016 12:50 AM (#824500 - in reply to #824324)

I had a friend come in from Chicago, and since I have a hearing issue, I had another friend run the motor (tiller boat). I was in the middle and got a fish within 5 casts. They both changed over to the same bait, a black with orange/red blade Mouldy Topper Stopper. I proceeded to get three more Minnetonka muskies that night while fishing out of the middle. The one friend got a 32" northern, the other blanked. Did I have the bait that had the right squeaked or just dumb luck?? Has anyone heard of someone getting 4 muskies out of Minnetonka in a day, and not one over 40". My friend, Steve Scepaniak, a guide on Mille Lacs never caught a muskie under 38" in the year 2003. I barely fished 9 days on that lake that year and I caught 4 29"-32ish"'! I'm obviously doing something large fish disdain, but what??? Please, don't tell me to throw a pounder!

Edited by Clark A 7/22/2016 12:52 AM
ToddM
Posted 7/22/2016 7:46 AM (#824505 - in reply to #824324)

Clark, no pounder but you do need to wear a night buff. Fishing the middle of the boat can be a disadvantage. You don't have the best casting angles, the boat can be positioned too close and your boat partners might end up casting where you need. There is a big difference in how a boat needs to be operated between 1, 2 and 3 people fishing. Having said that you can either be lucky or smart. Sometimes things just line up that way, the right bait at the right angle at the right time. I found myself fishing the middle on.a trip last fall. A windshield boat and I had about an 18" area to stand on the floor. I fished aggressive baits and made good adjustments. Boat position was good. I went 7 for 12 while my partners went 2 for 2 and 2 for 4. Be different and fish aggressive baits.

Edited by ToddM 7/22/2016 7:48 AM
Nick59
Posted 7/22/2016 9:19 AM (#824514 - in reply to #824324)

We usually never fish 3.
But my personal best was with three guys with me in the middle.
Everything else was mentioned above.
Sidejack
Posted 7/22/2016 8:30 PM (#824589 - in reply to #824324)

Middle always gets the biggies..
Fact
Clark A
Posted 7/22/2016 10:41 PM (#824597 - in reply to #824324)

Todd, what is a night buff?
FlyPiker
Posted 7/24/2016 9:08 AM (#824691 - in reply to #824324)

If the boat isn't cooking along too fast, a slow rolled spinnerbait is another good option as a third.

Edited by FlyPiker 7/24/2016 9:09 AM
Guest1
Posted 7/26/2016 9:59 AM (#825002 - in reply to #824324)

Last year on Eagle my son was in third position all week, he caught the most 12, I was in first position I got 9, second position got 6, so third position can be a good spot.
Andy Myers Lodge
Posted 7/30/2016 9:25 AM (#825475 - in reply to #824324)

since i am always in the boat 3rd and many times 4th bait through my perspective is:
as important as following up with more instinctive response types of baits ie. ripped cranks,jerkbaits,deeper running baits to more effectively cover breaks and depths especially when a slower bite is going on etc.etc (some great rt on info in previous posts) is just how effectively the first 2 are actually covering and hitting the cover or structure being fished by the 1st and 2nd anglers. watch closely where baits are landing and what is being covered rather than just a casting exercise,pay special attention to the structure details ie; projections,cups,pockets,etc and hit what isnt being hit or wasnt hit properly,double weights on blades,streamlined heavier cranks and topwaters,etc get you a bit further or make diff angles available. bang structure,use more hang time with suspenders than normal on structure or over, in weeds follow blades or topwater with jerkbaits or rip weeds with cranks or spjnnerbaits. off edges,over deeper bars, or suspended dawgs,medusas,tubes get you down deeper with a diff look and trigger (this season i have found the new weight system on a mag dawg or alpha dawg allows you to do the same with way more speed and hop and a much better trigger with more hits or at least a more aggressive engagement at the boat than just the shocker syndrome. i've also seen under tougher conditions that the 2nd and 3rd baits can sometimes be better with the 1st baits through waking fish up a bit it seems.
but...if the fish are running hot especially on a shallow blade bite and you got good seasoned fishing partners that know the water in front of you ...might want to switch or rotate once in a while too.
when fishing deeper breaks,over deeper humps,or suspended fish everything opens up a bit, more directions and angles become options and it's much less a factor. but remember if a fish is wired tight, up and hunting it knows everything that is going on for incredible distances and will come from alot further than many realize for a bait both horizontally but especially vertically and conversly if negative may need the bait within a few feet,even less to provoke any kind of a response at all. adapt accordingly.
steve herbeck
AML prop. emeritus,guest fishing instruction coordinator,master guide
facebook.com/AndyMyersLodge
andymyerslodge.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)