Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Daffynition of Retirement, "Everyday's a Saturday"
- (Added by: ESOXER)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Trailer hook issues

Message Subject: Trailer hook issues
Americanlife
Posted 6/28/2016 11:47 AM (#822080)
Subject: Trailer hook issues

I've been making some spinners and bucktails lately, which I'm quite pleased with. However one issue I'm having is with the single hook trailer on the spinners. I used surgical tubing around the trailer hook eye to secure it to the main hook, but after several casts I'm always having to readjust the trailer hook. I used some store baught spinners with a very hard plastic around the trailer's eye that seems to work. I am thinking of trying shrink tubing to fix this. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions or wouldn't mind sharing their methods. Thanks!
bigbite
Posted 6/28/2016 1:49 PM (#822098 - in reply to #822080)
Subject: RE: Trailer hook issues

First off, select a trailer hook that is proportional to the main hook in size. Put a slight bend in the eye of the trailer hook by locking the eye of the trailer hook in a vise with the bend of the hook facing away from you. Place your finger in the crotch of the hook and pull slightly towards you. That way you can still easily pass the eye over the main hook's barb. If it is slightly too tight a fit, carefully bend the barb with a pliers just enough to slip the hook over the trailer hook and then take a knife and wedge it under the barb to bend it out again. You will then find you are now able to allow the trailer hook to swing easily from side to side and the bend in the eye will ensure it will not slip off the main hook. You can ensure that it won't come off by slipping a skirt band or even just a piece of rubber band above it.

Edited by bigbite 6/28/2016 1:51 PM
ToddM
Posted 6/28/2016 8:34 PM (#822143 - in reply to #822080)
Subject: Re: Trailer hook issues

I use 105lb wire and wrap the first book above the trailer. Swings free won't come off.
Americanlife
Posted 6/28/2016 9:41 PM (#822153 - in reply to #822080)
Subject: Re: Trailer hook issues

Thanks for the info guys!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)