Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Bearing upgrade

Message Subject: Bearing upgrade
steelfooter
Posted 6/26/2016 6:43 PM (#821838)
Subject: Bearing upgrade

Is there any other bearings options other than boca for bearing upgrades? I also saw that they had the "econo" bearings and wondering if anybody has any experience with those as well. From the reviews I know most everybody loves the ceramic orange seals.
Cedar
Posted 6/26/2016 6:57 PM (#821840 - in reply to #821838)
Subject: RE: Bearing upgrade

Had Mats Reel Repair do a 5 bearing upgrade with ABEC 5 bearings in a NaCl, and like it very much. Will be doing my other NaCl's the same way. The ABEC 5's are a step down from orange seal ABEC 7's which can be too fast. You may have to crank down on the spool control to keep the reel from backlashing, which defeats the purpose of the 7's.
timhutson1
Posted 6/27/2016 6:37 AM (#821856 - in reply to #821838)
Subject: RE: Bearing upgrade

I would stick with boca bearings. They make good bearings and they make it easy to ensure you get the right ones. I feel like I never noticed a big difference on my Musky reels but I do replace bearings on all my smaller/bass reels. In casting musky gear, the lure weight is usually such that it is more about tossing the lure then small amount of friction in bearings. But if I did need new bearings I would go to Boca.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 6/27/2016 10:32 AM (#821881 - in reply to #821838)
Subject: Re: Bearing upgrade

If you clean the stock bearings and remove a shield to do so then re lube with a heavy Lube, your bearings will be good to go for the season.
When you are casting baits over 1 oz there is no need to upgrade spool bearings.
On Bass reels that you are flipping 1/8 jigs then yes ABEC 7 or 9 you will see a big difference.
Never use Ceramic Bearings on Musky Reels as they are Very Loud !!
I like SSteel bearings as they as quite and smooth.
On reels you are casting baits over 5 oz I always use Grease in a bearing.
Oil will not last but a few days and then you must reoil.

steelfooter
Posted 6/27/2016 5:08 PM (#821932 - in reply to #821838)
Subject: Re: Bearing upgrade

the only reason I am even considering it is the real that I am working on is 15+ years old and thought that maybe an updated set of bearings would help out. Sounds like ceramic bearings are out. I might just go with the regular bearings instead of spending the 15$ for the regular steel bearings. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate this community here.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)