Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Hello! And how deep?

Message Subject: Hello! And how deep?
Shellback
Posted 6/22/2016 9:34 AM (#821427)
Subject: Hello! And how deep?

I'm new to the forum, so I figure an introduction was in order before I start asking all kinds of stupid questions. My name is Bill, I'm retired Navy living in Florida and I spend a month in Quebec every summer. I'm pretty comfortable saying I have the pike and smallmouth dialed in pretty well, but musky remain a bit of a mystery. I've stumbled across a few of them drifting off shorelines while bass fishing, but I'm a little fuzzy when it comes to what depth and what part of the water column I should be working during the summer months. Any help is appreciated.
Musky952
Posted 6/22/2016 10:30 AM (#821436 - in reply to #821427)
Subject: Re: Hello! And how deep?

weed edges.
NPike
Posted 6/22/2016 1:13 PM (#821484 - in reply to #821436)

In Chautauqua the Musky follow the perch schools anywhere from 10' to 50' deep. 1st you locate large numbers of perch this determines the depth the musky are at. Our biggest ~ 50" came out of 48 FOW. BTW many are caught near the weed line when the perch are in shallow feeding, but often schools are out deep feeding on redworms.
ToddM
Posted 6/22/2016 4:41 PM (#821517 - in reply to #821427)

Weeds and rocks, points, islands, reefs the more complex the better. Cast up top, cover the edge and just off the edge. If you start seeing fish look for similar spots.
jonnysled
Posted 6/22/2016 4:52 PM (#821519 - in reply to #821517)

think of them as pigs and find the food ... they won't be far from it
Jeremy
Posted 6/22/2016 5:19 PM (#821520 - in reply to #821519)

jonnysled - 6/22/2016 4:52 PM

think of them as pigs and find the food ... they won't be far from it

Exactly!! And pay close attention to points off of islands and watch your graph to follow them out to the very end. Often some nice fish stay deep, waiting...trust that.

"Hey dad, ever see fish way out here? We're a lot further out than we used to be..." "Nope, keep pitching!"

10 casts later a 54 grabs my Suick, totally unexpected. I was much further out than usual but the graph was right. Glad I didn't let up on my curiosity!

Good luck.
Shellback
Posted 6/23/2016 1:11 PM (#821603 - in reply to #821484)

NPike - 6/22/2016 1:13 PM

In Chautauqua the Musky follow the perch schools anywhere from 10' to 50' deep. 1st you locate large numbers of perch this determines the depth the musky are at. Our biggest ~ 50" came out of 48 FOW. BTW many are caught near the weed line when the perch are in shallow feeding, but often schools are out deep feeding on redworms.

That is exactly what I was wanting to hear. I'll be in Il Perrot, I have a canoe (car & trailer) and no depth finder, and I'll be throwing tungsten heads on a 9wt fly rod. The good news is I have a month and I'll be breaking up the trip with a few days in Gaspè and Laurentides. I appreciate the feedback, I leave in about 3 weeks and I'll keep you guys updated.
Lunger50
Posted 6/23/2016 8:48 PM (#821666 - in reply to #821427)

Il perrot.....your question really depends on what body of water you are fishing.

On is a big slow, stained river, the other a big fast, clear river. Muskies can be at very different depths and locations in each of those.

Stained water....shallow, weeds and rocks.

Clear water, steeper ledges, channels and current breaks, near big shallow structures
Shellback
Posted 6/23/2016 9:24 PM (#821669 - in reply to #821427)

I'm staying in Pincourt (SW corner of the island), across the river from Pointe des cascades, but I have a range of about 10 miles in that canoe if the weather is good. And I can launch pretty much anywhere (I pack light). I really appreciate the intel, my friends are salmon/trout enthusiasts, and they don't really share my curiosity of large toothy things. This is my 4th year up, I always stay for a month, and I've seen 2 musky. I stalk large tarpon on foot for 4 months of the year and those musky had my legs shaking.

Edited by Shellback 6/23/2016 10:40 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)