Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I should be home way before dark honey" <--I think I actually really mean it when I say it too.
- (Added by: lobi)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Marabou & Beads - Bucktails

Message Subject: Marabou & Beads - Bucktails
curleytail
Posted 6/20/2016 8:35 AM (#821107)
Subject: Marabou & Beads - Bucktails

I've never used marabou before and am wondering what I need to get and how much. Is the strung marabou at Moores good stuff to get? How much would I need to tie an average/full double 10 tail?

Does anybody use hackle feathers to accent the marabou? I'm not sure what to get there either. Moores strung feathers maybe?

I'm also wondering if most of you use solid or hollow beads on your tails.

Thanks for any insight,

Tucker
NickD
Posted 6/20/2016 12:09 PM (#821147 - in reply to #821107)
Subject: Re: Marabou & Beads - Bucktails

The amount you need kinda depends on how big and bulky you like your marabou tails. I definitely would get some hackle feathers to layer in. A lot of the marabou is pretty short so the hackle works great to give your coils a little extra length. I have always bought my bou supplies at Thorne Brothers cause I just make a few bou tails each year and some marabou jigs for eyes/bass/crappies. Not sure what the stuff is called on the package but I can check for you if you would like.

Solid beads are the way to go. Better durability on the wear parts around clevises/front hooks. Also the little bit of extra weight up front is nice for balance. I use cheap hollow beads for the spacers between the tinsel or bou coils.

Marabou makes cool looking baits but it also makes a heck of a mess wherever you are tying.
Mighty Bro
Posted 6/20/2016 4:33 PM (#821203 - in reply to #821107)

Get yourself a good pair is scissors! Dr. Slick brand (razor edge) are really nice for cutting through feather quills.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 6/21/2016 12:38 PM (#821302 - in reply to #821203)

Tread lightly buddy! It's almost as addicting as fishing for these things! Sent you a PM.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)