Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> boatside and near baotside darn

Message Subject: boatside and near baotside darn
NPike
Posted 6/12/2016 3:25 PM (#820328)
Subject: boatside and near baotside darn

This post concerns boat side and close to the boat missed fish. As the jerkbait comes within 6’ to 3’ of the boat the fish seems to come out of nowhere and take a whack at it, (sometimes really nailing it). My problem is that I don’t always set the hook in time since the fish is so close and the whole thing is often a startle. Then off swims the fish after a short sweet battle. Anyone else been there done that? I’m sure it doesn’t help that I use totally 1.5 to 4 oz. jerkbaits. A reality check thanks guys, happened both today and yesterday. I just plain use jerkbaits > 80 % of the time and when I'm not I'm using pull baits which are still a technique bait.

BTW thanks so much guys for the wealth of data you supply. I consider myself a fairly seasoned toothy critter fisherman, however I seem to always gleam much from you guys. I hope these topics are interesting to others as well.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 6/12/2016 3:37 PM (#820332 - in reply to #820328)
Subject: Re: boatside and near baotside darn

Do you keep your hooks sticky sharp? And sharpen them after fish, rocks, trees, etc?
Born
Posted 6/12/2016 4:21 PM (#820337 - in reply to #820328)

Longer rods have helped me keep fish hooked. I don,t realy set the hook, I just keep the line taunt and push the rod tip under water. And of course sharp hooks.
NPike
Posted 6/12/2016 4:21 PM (#820338 - in reply to #820332)

JakeStCroixSkis - 6/12/2016 4:37 PM

Do you keep your hooks sticky sharp? And sharpen them after fish, rocks, trees, etc?

Yes, in fact I just bought a new hook file from Smity. That shouldn't be the problem. I've spent a lot of time sharpening those trebles and touching them up if needed.

Edited by NPike 6/12/2016 4:34 PM
Landry
Posted 6/12/2016 6:28 PM (#820348 - in reply to #820328)

Some days r like that. Some months r too. U zig and they zag. Or they just nip it.
Your luck will turn.
I went in a terrible run of list fish two summers ago and then I went on a run of mostly landed fish the next year.
whynot
Posted 6/12/2016 8:57 PM (#820360 - in reply to #820328)

If the fish are coming out of nowhere that close to the boat with regularity is it possible you're positioning the boat too close to the structure or where the fish are holding? Just a thought. Only other comment I would have is typically when I get a jerk/glide bait strike that close there isn't a hook set, more of a bury the rod tip and keep the fish moving so they can't sit in one spot shaking their head. Bad luck happens too.
Fishysam
Posted 6/13/2016 9:25 AM (#820399 - in reply to #820328)

Boat position is too close to the fish in my experience. Also have a thrown back lure like a regular dog or "mid " medusa.
muskidiem
Posted 6/13/2016 2:57 PM (#820457 - in reply to #820328)
Subject: RE: boatside and near baotside darn

boat side strikes have a learning curve, and you're learning quickly now. It will become second nature to set the hook if this keeps happening to you. you'll develop better reflexes- stained water especially. but you will lose some, and other times you'll have a great story or video when you hook ones you shouldn't have caught.
NPike
Posted 6/14/2016 3:08 AM (#820519 - in reply to #820399)

Fishysam - 6/13/2016 10:25 AM

Boat position is too close to the fish in my experience. Also have a thrown back lure like a regular dog or "mid " medusa.

I tend to not agree with this post (but thanks for your opinion anyways sir) presently the fish are holding in 9 to 14 FOW. We position ourselves in 11 to 12 FOW and cast out in parallel or out a bit deeper or shallower occasionally as well. If we were to be motoring along in say 20 FOW, our baits would only be in the area that holds > 90% of the fish for a short period of time, thus most of the cast would be wasted in unproductive water. I brought up the issue of boat side misses for forum input specific to this concern. I get many fish that don’t hit at boat side. It’s just that with those that do I have a much lower hookup %. The idea of a slightly longer rod may help as was suggested. Also I think it’s is a learning curve, as has been suggested. Some of the other fisherman I talk tell me that it’s just so hard to respond in that 1/100 of a sec particularly when you haven’t had a solid strike in hours and your concentration may be waning. Unfortunately I’ve tried Medusa’s no luck, but different baits for different people and lakes. That’s oe reason I like the savage baits not many fish have seen them and they work.
Fishysam
Posted 6/14/2016 10:23 AM (#820558 - in reply to #820328)

So above ^^^... How fast are you traveling anything over .2 mph with two people and an area 30' wide or more is not being covered sufficiently I prefer this boat position alone as well and it is as simple as the fish hadn't had its opportunity to strike yet prior to the boat being on top of it. Now 3 people throwing a straight retrieve lure at a good clip you can motor along at .7. So I'm my opinion these fish are making there move when the bait starts a upward swing at the boat they are charging to crush but as the approach they get shy and don't hammer it. But mearly niping at fins to not absolutely waste the effort.
Will Schultz
Posted 6/15/2016 10:54 AM (#820646 - in reply to #820328)

They're probably taking their shots close to the boat because the jerkbait has made a change in depth/action. Try to simulate that change 10+ feet from the boat. If you're working the rod at a downward angle change the angle to level or up. As noted 8.5 - 9' rods make a huge difference keeping fish pinned giving you more control of the fish and allowing you to keep lots of pressure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)