Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Am I just being paranoid?

Message Subject: Am I just being paranoid?
muskymandan
Posted 6/6/2016 2:56 PM (#819495)
Subject: Am I just being paranoid?

So several years ago I stopped by a Walmart to grab a few things and when I came out I found a guy leaning in my boat. I immediately yelled and his response was sweet boat man..... I think if I had spent a few more minutes in wally world I would have been out a ton of gear. Since then I have been really crazy about locking gear up in the truck, parking at fast food places where I can see the boat etc. All of my fishing buddies give me crap but hey it isn't their money right.

Anyone else have any close calls with thieves? I am just curious how often things come up missing.
Slamr
Posted 6/6/2016 3:01 PM (#819497 - in reply to #819495)
Subject: Re: Am I just being paranoid?

Yes, you are paranoid. Probably good to be that way...
musky513
Posted 6/6/2016 3:07 PM (#819498 - in reply to #819495)

I wouldn't call it paranoid, I'd call it being smart...
Musky952
Posted 6/6/2016 3:21 PM (#819502 - in reply to #819495)

I think we all think about it a little bit when we leave our gear in the boat to go eat, shop, or sleep. This past weekend I was at a resort with plenty of other people and musky fisherman. I felt a little better about leaving my stuff in the boat but still brought my nice reels and rods in. Its better to be safe than sorry as everyone always says. Being someone who has had their cabin broken into, you can never be too paranoid about your expensive belongings even if it is more of a hassle.
vegas492
Posted 6/6/2016 3:42 PM (#819506 - in reply to #819495)

Yes you are paranoid. And bless you for that. I need to be more paranoid about things like that, too.
esoxaddict
Posted 6/6/2016 4:00 PM (#819509 - in reply to #819495)

All depends on where you are. There are jerks everywhere, but I see a lot of guys "Up North" who leave all their gear/electronics in the boat and don't even bother to cover it up. We leave all our stuff on the dock/outside the cabin up in Canada for the entire week. Down here I don't let anything out of my sight.
My old neighbor down here had someone swipe the kicker off his boat right on his driveway. Nice neighborhood. They were well on the way to getting the big motor off the boat when they set it on fire and apparently took off.

It's only "paranoid" because you still have all your stuff.
ToddM
Posted 6/6/2016 4:06 PM (#819510 - in reply to #819495)

Carry a gun. Shooting a person over a Tranx or Dadson is self defense. Or do like I do, wire your boat with explosives.
JimLang
Posted 6/6/2016 4:12 PM (#819514 - in reply to #819510)

Paranoid? Nope
Smart? Yep

Not to sound too cynical, but times have changed and being a little "paranoid" in many cities/locations is not a bad thing.
North of 8
Posted 6/6/2016 4:13 PM (#819515 - in reply to #819495)
Subject: RE: Am I just being paranoid?

No, just prudent.
happy hooker
Posted 6/6/2016 4:21 PM (#819517 - in reply to #819515)

I don't care where I am,,even in remote Canada I take rods and tackle boxes out of boat and bring inside,,same thing with locking in vehicle when stopping, I grew up a city boy and saw how fast and bold ripoffs work.
ulbian
Posted 6/6/2016 4:22 PM (#819518 - in reply to #819515)

I had a pair of pedestal seats swiped out of my boat at a grocery store. No, you're not being paranoid.
tkuntz
Posted 6/6/2016 4:43 PM (#819524 - in reply to #819495)

I do the same thing, and I have a crappy boat with mid-range electronics and gear in it. I can't afford to replace everything easily, so I keep an eye on it
fishhawk50
Posted 6/6/2016 4:45 PM (#819526 - in reply to #819495)

"say hello to my little friend"
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 6/6/2016 5:58 PM (#819538 - in reply to #819495)

Not paranoid. Practical. Realistic. And I see all these city references. There are scumbags who live in the sticks as well. But I use to travel and work at night all over NY. Worked in every city. Was robbed in Troy. "Troilet" NY as it's called.

Edited by JakeStCroixSkis 6/6/2016 6:00 PM
muskyhunter47
Posted 6/6/2016 6:06 PM (#819539 - in reply to #819538)

Keep honest people honest there are scumbags all over keep it covered and locked up. If they want your stuff there going to get it just don't make it easier for them.
RandalB
Posted 6/6/2016 6:18 PM (#819541 - in reply to #819539)

Don't talk to me about leaving stuff on the boat.
Everything off at night or when not there.
Only takes one time. Don't let a good boy go bad..LOL
Junkman
Posted 6/6/2016 6:25 PM (#819543 - in reply to #819495)

This reminds me of the last time the PMTT went to Hayward. Some guy went from rig to rig in the HQ hotel parking lot telling everybody it wasn't safe to leave the boats out. Turned out he also had a large pole building where you could keep your rig safe...for a fee! That's a true story, and nobody's stuff was bothered there, although he did pick up a few customers. Seriously though, there was a nice article in Musky Hunter a few years back on boat security...stuff like parking under a light pole, Lock-R-Bars, hitch locks, security systems, and (my favorite) welding the nut to the ball on your hitch-worth a read.
Johnnie
Posted 6/6/2016 6:41 PM (#819546 - in reply to #819543)

Couple of years ago my wife and I were taking a walk and saw the below parked on the town road by the landing. Talk about asking for it. I see similar stuff all the time.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpeg (108KB - 910 downloads)
Johnnie
Posted 6/6/2016 6:56 PM (#819547 - in reply to #819546)

Also, at the same lake access, next to where I have lived for over sixty years, I have seen a couple of boat trailers stolen or exchanged for better ones. But all in all, I hear of few prob,Ema, but people are asking for it, over half the trailer are not even locked on to the hitch. In the winter and summer I see extra equipment left open in the back of trucks. Power augers, extra rods and reels, etc. I can't believe more isn't taken.
muskyhunter47
Posted 6/6/2016 6:57 PM (#819548 - in reply to #819546)

Welding the ball on the hitch never thought of that and I'm a welder. I know what I'll be doing at work tomorrow
Jeremy
Posted 6/6/2016 7:13 PM (#819550 - in reply to #819495)

I don't know about you man but I would NEVER/EVER leave my rig unattended like that, especially in a W/Mart parking lot or any other lot....not even for 30 secs! I have a nice rig and lots of good stuff inside.

Pre-plan or go w/out. Just be REALLY glad it didn't go bad.
cincinnati
Posted 6/6/2016 7:18 PM (#819551 - in reply to #819548)

A co-worker smelled gear lube as he was leaving for work & discovered that the lower unit had been stolen off his bass boat overnight.
dfkiii
Posted 6/6/2016 8:07 PM (#819558 - in reply to #819495)

Never trust total strangers to possess the same morals that you do.

Why not let your insurance carrier dictate what's "paranoid" ? Our place is WAY out in the sticks, and our neighbors are as good as gold and we always look out for each other. I never locked the doors when I was out fishing but then our insurance policy had some changes and I read through the policy to find that if our house was burglarized but the doors weren't locked, the coverage was voided. I now lock my doors every time I go out.

Paranoid ? I think not. While I think it's more of a CYA maneuver, why make it easy for the D-bags ?
TheShow
Posted 6/6/2016 9:16 PM (#819569 - in reply to #819558)

I'm scarred from an event 10+ years ago in the Minocqua area. My family was using a cabin on a very popular lake and the cabin was a part of an association where a few other cabins shared a semi private launch and had docking for about 6 boats. The only problem was our cabin was just far away enough through the trees where you couldn't see the boats.

Over night some A-Holes came through on a boat and went from pier to pier swiping gear/equipment from everyone's docked boats. We lost very little, but some lost high dollar items. And these jerks went down the shore and hit everybody. Ever since then I'm reluctant to leave anything in the boat over night.
MuskieFever
Posted 6/6/2016 11:05 PM (#819578 - in reply to #819495)

I'm the same way. Everyone says I'm paranoid, but I don't care. Why would I risk thousands of dollars? People are idiots. Doesn't matter how 'nice' the area is to me. I take my humminbirds in after I park the boat (boat doesn't fit in the garage). Keep up the good work man. Like the saying goes, rather be safe than sorry!
Fishysam
Posted 6/6/2016 11:48 PM (#819582 - in reply to #819578)

I'm "paranoid" myself. I don't care. I do know if someone So much as jumps in or out of my boat my truck alarm will go off. I'm always nearby. The thing that keeps people staring in my boat is the twin power poles. People stare and I enjoy when I get seen staring at them staring. Haha priceless looks haha
Slumpbuster
Posted 6/7/2016 6:40 AM (#819592 - in reply to #819495)

Your not paranoid. I used to lock all my gear in my SUV at night to keep it safe until someone stole the suv. The suv was found abandoned six months later in perfect condition minus all my gear. Glad I had quality insurance that covered the contents. All I had to do was provide receipts for my gear. Luckily I keep a file and had most of them saved. I now keep every receipt just in case.
banditman
Posted 6/7/2016 7:01 AM (#819598 - in reply to #819495)

I live in a small town where I thought I I wouldn't have to worry about my fishing gear being stolen. I was wrong!!! I walked into the grocery store one day after spring walleye fishing. After being inside for ten minutes, I came out to find my Walleye rods and tackle box gone. I was lucky it was just walleye gear and not my musky stuff, but it still sucked having to replace all that gear. It doesn't matter where you are, There are A holes everywhere that will stake your stuff. Be paranoid about locking that stuff up!!! Getting your gear stolen messes with your head. Musky fishermen are screwed up enough, we dont need any extra help in that department.
jonnysled
Posted 6/7/2016 8:42 AM (#819613 - in reply to #819598)

i remember when this subject first came up when the sport started to really gain momentum (at least during my lifetime) in 2005 and the news of trucks and boats being sorted through was hitting hard. back then it seemed to really be happening in MN and western WI.

i was on my way to MN to fish Mille Lacs and stayed overnight in Siren, WI. and had it on my mind. so, i removed everything of value and brought it into my hotel room (electronics, rods, baits etc...) and my compartments on my boat that had anything in them were locked securely. the only thing that remained was a disposable styrofoam cooler with a 7 pound bag of ice and 6 bottles of water. when i went to my boat the next morning ... it was gone. yup, the total cost of about $10.00 remaining was stolen.

FAT-SKI
Posted 6/7/2016 9:39 AM (#819624 - in reply to #819498)

musky513 - 6/6/2016 3:07 PM

I wouldn't call it paranoid, I'd call it being smart...

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

If the average Joe Schmo wasn't paranoid - WE wouldn't be seeing a 300% increase in PTP and PTC permits across the states of MN, WI and IA. Just saying.

I think everyone these days is a little more paranoid then ever before. But again. Id rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it

Edited by FAT-SKI 6/7/2016 9:44 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)