Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: After about a half-mile the fella stopped and stooped over, with his hands on his thigh's to catch his breath, and the Game Warden finally caught up to him."Let's see yer fishin' license, boy," the Warden gasped.
- (Added by: FISHFINDER101)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Paint Fail

Message Subject: Paint Fail
fishdawg
Posted 5/28/2016 8:53 PM (#818525)
Subject: Paint Fail

I started making baits this winter. This morning a large piece of paint peeled back from one of my pine wood gliders. 

I've been using acrylic paint. I sealed the wood, put down a primer coat, painted, and then put on three coats of Envirotex. I am hoping this was a freak event, but am fearful my other baits could suffer the same fate.

I prefer to paint with a brush and like using acrylic because it mixes well, is water based, and dries quickly.

In the short term, this bait is easy enough to fix, but moving forward, if I want to keep painting with a brush, should I keep using acrylics or move on to something else?

My other thought is that I should lay down a layer of Etex first and then paint onto it. All suggestions are welcome.

Edited by fishdawg 5/28/2016 8:57 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Paint Fail.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Paint Fail.JPG (108KB - 372 downloads)
musky513
Posted 5/28/2016 9:28 PM (#818532 - in reply to #818525)
Subject: Re: Paint Fail

It looks to me like there was moisture in the wood or your paints weren't completely dry before the top coat was applied.
woodieb8
Posted 5/29/2016 5:48 AM (#818540 - in reply to #818525)
Subject: Re: Paint Fail

definatly seal . most use epoxy. make sure woods dry. warm blnk then apply your sealer. we all have experienced your issue.
esox911
Posted 5/30/2016 8:36 AM (#818592 - in reply to #818525)
Subject: RE: Paint Fail

Like others have said---It could have very well been moisture in the wood-----------But I have had similar happen during my years of painting---Like you mentioned--I lay down a coat of clear-----then paint on top of that----Gives a nice smooth finish and I have never had a problem....... BUT--Gotta have nice dry wood to start with or you will have problems later.
chadw18
Posted 5/30/2016 12:47 PM (#818610 - in reply to #818525)
Subject: RE: Paint Fail

I ran into similar issues. It wasn't on wood baits it was actually plastic. I was using a different type of rattle can primer to smooth and fills small holes etc, well the epoxy didn't stick to it for whatever reason. I have been using Rustoleum 2x primer flat white lately and seems to work correclty.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)