Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Kayak Angler Question

Message Subject: Kayak Angler Question
webs1981
Posted 5/25/2016 12:38 PM (#818120)
Subject: Kayak Angler Question

Good Morning,

I am new to kayak freshwater fishing, and was hoping I could possibly get some advice/suggestions.

I have a friend who works for Johnson Outdoors and am going to purchase a Old Town or Ocean Kayak. Is one better than the other?

- Is there a certain length that I should get? (I would mainly be using it for calm freshwater lakes, and possibly some slow moving rivers)

- I have it narrowed down to the following models:
* Prowler 13 or Big Game II (Ocean Kayak)
* Trident 11 or 13 (Ocean Kayak)
* Predator MX or 13 (Old Town)
* Tetra 10 or 12 Angler (Ocean Kayak)

Any advice would be helpful as I am a novice when it comes to kayak freshwater fishing.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Sincerely,
Scott W.
tolle141
Posted 5/25/2016 5:37 PM (#818172 - in reply to #818120)
Subject: Re: Kayak Angler Question

I'd recommend at 13-14'.The longer the better they track, which matters if you've ever paddled a 10 footer across a lake.

Trident 13 has the humminbird-transducer scupper hole. They might have extended this to Old Towns. When you buy your fish finder you just call up humminbird and they'll swap for free. This screws right into the hole. no drilling or glueing.

Seats are very important. Honestly I'd try to sit in a couple. That's the best route.

tolle141
Posted 5/25/2016 5:40 PM (#818174 - in reply to #818120)
Subject: Re: Kayak Angler Question

If you're in the Twin Cities I might be able to let you try my Trident 13. Not biased to them. They're great, but kayaks have come a long ways in 5 years.
bbeaupre
Posted 5/26/2016 7:58 AM (#818262 - in reply to #818120)
Subject: RE: Kayak Angler Question

Most modern transducers are large and are hard to fit in scupper holes. If ur interested I designed a ~$5 pvc transducer mount that can be rotated out of the water for shallow rivers. i designed it for my coosa but would work on any yak. I would be happy to send u pictures of I like.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)